Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:37 PM

34 posts, read 150,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Move to Waukegan. It has a city feel. Seriously though... I would look at Evanston if you don't mind the commute. That will give you a true city feel without actually being in the city.

Also, Buffalo Grove is commutable to Vernon Hills....but the NW suburbs like Arlington Heights, Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg? REALLY? WHY? Thats a long drive and doesn't offer up what the OP is looking for.

I would strongly consider Libertyville---a 5 minute drive from VH and, much, much, much, much, much nicer than Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates, Buffalo Grove or Arlington Heights area. Libertyville has a great downtown area---walkable.... A world class community fitness center---Independence Grove---a world class nature center (biking/fishing/boating/roller blading) that is not over run with people....great restaurants, and did I say its 5 minutes from Vernon Hills?
Please don't advise people that aren't familiar to move to Waukegan! It is horrible. I don't think she meant Waukegan when she said "city feel".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 01:19 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,389,905 times
I agree. Waukegan can seem like a dying, industrial, satellite city that seems to have more in common with Flint, Michigan than Chicago. Not everyone speaks English in Waukegan, and the only place bustling with activity in that town is the Lake County Courthouse! And most of the lawyers that zip up there in their Benz S500's (holla hsw!!!) to represent the hoi polloi don't live in Waukegan either. Before anyone takes offense, just wanted to point out that I was trying to be slightly sarcastic here. There are SOME truths to the statements though. Again, not trying to offend anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjeepin View Post
Please don't advise people that aren't familiar to move to Waukegan! It is horrible. I don't think she meant Waukegan when she said "city feel".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs