Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:57 AM

50 posts, read 225,013 times

Advertisements

Help needed

I am trying to i.d. an area near O'Hare that offers the following (in order of importance):

1) great public schools
2) walkable downtown and parks surrounded by houses (think Riverwalk in Naperville)
3) friendly, family oriented, down to earth people (minimal snobs)
4) close to major expressways, has a Metra stop
5) diversity
6) lots larger than standard city size
7) stable, not transitioning

We are willing to spend what it takes to get these qualities. We just started our family, so we do not want to move for at least 15 years.

We drove through Norwood Park, and it has some of what we are looking for, except I am concerned that it is not diverse enough, and we only found a few small neighborhood shops.

If I am being unrealistic, its ok to say so.

Also, if you know of a place that has all these qualities, except it is a little farther from O'Hare (more than 30 minutes no traffic), please share that as well. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Great public schools is a loaded term. If you want top 20% or top 10% or top 1% that is much more objective way of asking for what you want...

Riverwalk is unique, and even that has VERY few homes nearby -- that is primarily a draw to the shopping and resturants. Many many many towns in the region have "super neighborhood parks" with sports field ringed by homes.

I have no real way of measuring "snobbiness" though in my experience there are MANY excellent towns to live in the region with an abundance of neighbors that go out of their way to meet newcomers, get to know neighbors, seek out friends nearby and become involved in the organizations and schools that make for a well connected feeling.

Metra lines run through dozens of towns. The expressways all pretty much make a trip to O'Hare or downtown Chicago easy.

Standard lots in the City of Chicago are generally 25X125, this supports a house that is rarely more than 19 feet wide. In pretty much every suburb you would be hard pressed to find anything that small. Many towns have lots that are MUCH wider.

The number of close in suburbs that vulernable to instability in race / economics is fairly small.

A circle of town that is within 30 minutes from O'Hare is pretty large, the driving factor will almost certainly be PRICE...

Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Thanks Chet.

I will continue my search offline.

If anyone lives in a town near O'Hare, please feel free to share their exp.

Enjoy your holiday!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times
If you don't care about price or property taxes whatsoever, Park Ridge fits what you are looking for.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 AM

158 posts, read 379,189 times
Worth checking out: Arlington Heights, maybe Mount Prospect-- although DT Mount Prospect is less walkable than DT AH in my opinion.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Lots of towns in a 30 minute circle!

South as far as 95th St as long as you stay very close to 294, west probably something like Barrington, north maybe Lincolnshire, east maybe Lincolwood...

Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Elmhurst, also, Arlington Hts.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,246 times
I think the desire for diversity will be your biggest challenge. The Chicago suburbs are generally not too diverse, and of those that are diverse, the list with "great" public schools is pretty short.

Elmhurst and Park Ridge are obvious choices. Hinsdale and Western Springs are also worth looking into, as both can be 30 mins to O'Hare with no traffic on I-294 (which is rare). You will find some folks who decry the snob factor in Hinsdale, but of course others will say it's overblown. Western Springs has a fairly weak downtown, but it borders Hinsdale and La Grange, both of which have pretty vibrant downtown areas.

Speaking of La Grange, I'm a definite fan, and it is worth investigating. The commute is more than 30 minutes to O'Hare, but usually under an hour up La Grange (Mannheim) Road.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! My mom has been pushing Park Ridge, so I will have to check it. I have some old coworkers from Arlington Hts, so I will give them a buzz also.

I got your point Chet. And a Realtor sent us homes within reasonable walking distance from Riverwalk, I think in the historic district...

And we are not looking south.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:21 AM

85 posts, read 398,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
I think the desire for diversity will be your biggest challenge. The Chicago suburbs are generally not too diverse, and of those that are diverse, the list with "great" public schools is pretty short.
Oak Park is diverse with good schools. I can't think of too many more that would be close to Ohare, maybe someone else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs