Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,047,271 times

Advertisements

This phenomenon happens in many towns/neighborhoods that become increasingly desirable. It's just the way it goes. I don't know CH very well but by reputation it wouldn't surprise me at all if this generation is a rung up socio-economically from the previous generation of people who bought there. Better that than the other way around (and I don't meant to imply that Yankee would disagree). CE: You live there (I think) -- do you not think this is a fair assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
At the price point you are considering there is little chance of getting other than a 2bd unit. Be carefully that you do not buy something that you will out grow too soon.

Good Luck!
Good advice. If you don't believe Chet, take it from someone who will soon have a family of four living in a 2-BR condo. And I know dozens of others who are "stuck" in this real estate market as well.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Just playing with you now Yankee, but let's say, hypothetically that someone was oh 22 when they finished college and got married. Then let's say that waited two years till they had a baby. Then let's say that baby grows into a kindergartner and enters schools at a normal age. How old would those parents be? Uh, 22+2+5 = 29. Do you advocate for teen moms to live in your town? Just checking...

Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 PM

66 posts, read 156,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Just playing with you now Yankee, but let's say, hypothetically that someone was oh 22 when they finished college and got married. Then let's say that waited two years till they had a baby. Then let's say that baby grows into a kindergartner and enters schools at a normal age. How old would those parents be? Uh, 22+2+5 = 29. Do you advocate for teen moms to live in your town? Just checking...
Well, it least it would reflect the broader world out there. In fact, in some places, a 24 year old mom would be considered past her prime

Old 07-15-2009, 01:39 PM

36 posts, read 125,947 times
Uh...oh....

Guess me and the misses are running behind in that case

haha

Old 07-24-2009, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,328 times
The Main Street Station in DG is an express stop to downtown. DG taxes are lower, and the village is pretty stable. If you have kids the schools are all good. There's programs for first time home buyers, and plenty of moderate priced homes in DG. The library is outstanding.

Both towns have a good feel to them. We looked all over the western burbs and when we moved we picked DG. 40 years and a family later we're still here and still like it, and so do our kids and grandkids.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:50 AM

I like DG a lot. Lots of reason to recommend it. While it does have more moderately priced homes (and by moderate, I mean for DuPage Co/ BNSF Corridor) there are NO LACK of very very pricey homes: Downers Grove Highest Sales

I like CH more, mostly becuase it is much smaller and has less variation by neighborhood.

It is really hard to say if "your money goes farther" in either town, becuase there are too many variables, and in my analysis of property taxes homes equal assessed value are generally paying less taxes in CH. By another measure, though the median tax bills on the median house are pretty similar, the value of such a home is much lower in DG...

BTW -- Fastest express from DG to Union Station: 27 mins, fastet from CH 26... (though in fariness there are more total expresses to DG...)

Metra / BNSF Monday - Friday Inbound

Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
I was just out in Downers Grove, Clarendon Hills, and Westmont today with the entire family because one of us may soon be working in the western suburbs. We are familiar with the other towns on the BNSF, but were looking at these towns to make sure we had the full picture of the area. One thing that strikes me about this thread is that there seems to be little mention that there are many more homes in Downers Grove at a lower price point than Clarendon Hills. To me this is perhaps the biggest factor in making this decision. Downers Grove seems to offer a lot of what you get in other nice BNSF corridor towns, but is less expensive than La Grange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, and Clarendon Hills. Sure, the top end in Downers Grove goes to the moon, but if you're looking in the sub-$500K price range (which most of us are), you are much more likely to find a home in Downers Grove.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:41 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,800,641 times
Clarendon Hills seems so tucked away from the hustle and bustle. Rt 83 goes over it and it and there is not as much business development. Thus it is more exclusive and upscale. By contrast, Downers Grove is home to several office, commercial and even industrial developments.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 AM

Default I completely agree, and I thought I made this clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I was just out in Downers Grove, Clarendon Hills, and Westmont today with the entire family because one of us may soon be working in the western suburbs. We are familiar with the other towns on the BNSF, but were looking at these towns to make sure we had the full picture of the area. One thing that strikes me about this thread is that there seems to be little mention that there are many more homes in Downers Grove at a lower price point than Clarendon Hills. To me this is perhaps the biggest factor in making this decision. Downers Grove seems to offer a lot of what you get in other nice BNSF corridor towns, but is less expensive than La Grange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, and Clarendon Hills. Sure, the top end in Downers Grove goes to the moon, but if you're looking in the sub-$500K price range (which most of us are), you are much more likely to find a home in Downers Grove.
The shear size of DG makes one of the LARGEST towns in DuPage Co and second only to Naperville on the BNSF.

I prefer to look that size as a way to "make sense" of things like median home price / average property tax bill, becuase I am not currently "shopping", but LK is dead on when he says "you will find more homes under $500K" unfortunately A LOT of the homes will NOT be particaularly convenient to DG's RR station or fairly nice downtown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs