Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM

19 posts, read 85,562 times

Advertisements

I want to get a new sofa but not sure the best place to shop for one.

Are Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn worth it? I live North of the city and I'm not sure where to begin looking. I see nice couches in catalogs and the internet but I feel the need to test one out in person.

Thanks for any info you've got or for sharing your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,564 times
Default couch

Naperville has a crate and barrel outlet not far from the Rt 59 and I88 exit. Things are substantially cheaper than out of the catalog and they have a decent selection but prices are still rather cheap.

There's a guy in Schaumburg who has a small warehouse and posts on craigslist alot. I cant at the moment find his contact info or address but you can pick out any ashley furniture item out of the catalog and he can get it for you at at least 35% off the price if not more.

I'm in the same boat with having to buy new furniture. Maybe take a look aruond on craigslist, they have a section for sale by owner and by dealer, look under by dealer since you want new. You can kind of check out the different dealers/stores in different burbs, they normally post there specials on craigslist, you can get an idea of what stores are out there, I found some nice stores on there that I never would have found just looking in the sunday paper ads.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,503 times
I got mine at Ethan Allen. I really like it. I wanted to decorate the room around the rug, so I took a photo in and a designer helped me choose the frame and fabric. I also got 2 chairs with different fabric. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. They have a pretty good range, you can go traditional or more contemporary.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM

42 posts, read 133,777 times
If you do the Craigslist thing, lookout for bed bugs if buying used couches/chairs/mattresses. I kid you not. Especially in the city. Lots of apartment buildings here in Lakeview have had them.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 PM

59 posts, read 144,900 times
FWIW, I have a very bad back, and when my wife and I shopped around I'm pretty sure we sat on every couch in every store we could find in Will and DuPage. Ended up at Harlem/Roomplace, it was pricey but probably the most supportive couch I've been on. Cindy Crawford collection sectional, leather. More than we wanted to spend, but it just feels solid, and my Golden retriever and Beagle mix, along with the Calico, have been unsuccessful in scratching it thusfar.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 AM

63 posts, read 208,165 times
I have bought all of my couches at either Macy's (State Street or Old Orchard), Carson Pirie Scott Furniture Gallery (Vernon Hills), and Crate and Barrel (Lincoln Park). I have been happy with all my purchases. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:54 PM

17 posts, read 71,809 times
If you come to Naperville to look at the Crate & Barrel outlet, don't miss the Carson Pirie Scott furniture outlet across the street or the Macy's furniture outlet 1 block south.

If budget is a concern I might try overstock.com No sales tax and $2.95 shipping on any item.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 AM

15 posts, read 41,710 times
Default Try Z Gallerie

We too looked at Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn. Lovely furniture but pricey. We ended up buying a leather sectional from Z Gallerie (Schaumburg) - good quality but a fraction of the price. Macy's also had some good items (Schaumburg has a separate Macy's furniture store).

Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 AM

42 posts, read 133,777 times
Take a look at Darvin in Orland Park. Yeah, they are massive, but they have a good reputation for customer service and their stuff seems better quality than the stuff at, say, Ashley.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 AM

180 posts, read 378,298 times
Just take one from the street when someone tries to reserve a parking space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs