Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 15,824 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from California to work at the North Chicago VA. Please advise on an affordable ($700/mo) and safe area to live with good commute options to the the North Chicago VA. I will be living by my self and will not need a large space. I am hoping to find a location near the metra line so that I can take the train. Would I be able to walk about a mile (from train station to the VA) in the Chicago winter weather - or just get a car? Also, does living near the lake moderate the temperature? Sorry, for asking so many questions. California has very different weather than Illinois. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 04:48 PM

545 posts, read 2,044,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tochicago View Post
I will be moving from California to work at the North Chicago VA. Please advise on an affordable ($700/mo) and safe area to live with good commute options to the the North Chicago VA. I will be living by my self and will not need a large space. I am hoping to find a location near the metra line so that I can take the train. Would I be able to walk about a mile (from train station to the VA) in the Chicago winter weather - or just get a car? Also, does living near the lake moderate the temperature? Sorry, for asking so many questions. California has very different weather than Illinois. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
REPLY: I think youre going to need a car for work and for pleasure use. Distances are somewhat far . I suggest you do not live in North Chicago personally ; a nearby town that might fit your bill and would be alot safer, would be Gurnee . I think for $700 per month , you might be able to find a studio type apartment , a house roomate living arrangement, or the rental of a room at a private residence. Gurnee is a nice area with lots to do , good shopping on Grand Ave, the huge Gurnee Mills Mall, and Great America Theme Park as examples. Your work commute would be approx. 20 minutes during rush hour and the traffic would flow pretty well for that locale. Stay away from using Route 21 (Milwaukee Ave) as its a traffic nightmare . Most other major routes are good between N.Chicago VA Hospital and Gurnee. Hope that helped.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:54 PM

545 posts, read 2,044,250 times
P.S. Lake Michigan sometimes provides a little more moderate temperature versus well inland, but, get yourself plenty of warm clothing for living in the Chicagoland area . Also, winter car travel is much longer than in the summertime due to snow and icy road conditions. Cant help you with Bus commuting but i do believe there is Pace Bus that runs there ...but i think youll end up needing a car for pleasure use anyway. There are lots of winter sports in that area , so, plan on partaking in some of those ... otherwise the snowy winters will have an adverse affect on you coming from sunny Cal.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 15,824 times
Thank you for the detailed advice. I've always enjoyed each of my visits to Chicago and finally get to live there for a year. I will look into getting a car and invest in warm clothing. Thanks again.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 22,373 times
I agree with IbeDavid. I currently live in North Chicago and I curse the day that I moved here. This is not the city that you will want to live. Although I am less than 5 minutes from the VA. The area is an eyesore. It probably wouldn't be a safe walk to the train station, that area that's close to the train is...just not a good area to walk. I am a student getting ready to transfer to the University of Cincinnati, I have no intention to move back here upon graduation ( I live in the heart of it all). Please do not apologize for asking questions, ask away, it will be to your advantage. Good luck with your search for housing.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:47 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,345,774 times
Dont let the above poster scare you too much. Basically, it is true. North Chicago is to be avoided for living and social purposes. If you work there, that is fine, it just not where you will want to spend most of your time. The good news, is that North Chicago is not a large area....its just an area among mostly nice suburbs to be avoided....its an anomoly in the northern suburbs. Chicago and the Chicago area is generally going to offer you a better experience, so do not fear!

Look into Gurnee, Grayslake, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Evanston, Lake Forest (never know...expensive place but you might find a rental or a nice in law arrangement in a mansion!) Basically, anywhere but North Chicago

Old 03-31-2008, 01:36 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
Agree with the above posters. N. Chicago isn't a big area but it's just seedy. My dad lives just up the road in Waukegan, but areas of that town have taken a downturn as well, although so far as I can remember, N Chicago has always been kinda skiddish. Gurnee is a good choice.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 PM

10 posts, read 70,219 times
Yes, avoid living in North Chicago at all costs. There are still some nice areas in Waukegan which is just north of North Chicago.

I live in a great, beautiful neighborhood in Waukegan... the difference between it and a North Chicago neighborhood is just night and day.

So if you want something a little closer to North Chicago then I suggest finding a good neighborhood in Waukegan.. if not, Gurnee has a lot to offer as well.

P.S. Waukegan is more affordable than Gurnee, btw.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,793 times
Not sure if you're still checking this, but if you are. I am also moving to Chicago area to work at the N. Chi VA for a year. Beginning a psych internship September-Aug and am also looking for a place to live. What I've read seems to be consistent with report from friends who have lived in Chicago. I'm looking in the Evanston area to be a little closer to the city, but will have to deal with the traffic. Have you found narrowed your search? I'm also coming from Cali. (LA)

Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,291 times
Default I am moving to Chicago from CA too...

Wonder if you guys are fellow interns? I am moving from San Fran to Chicago for internship at N.Chicago VA. Just found a place in downtown Chicago and wondering about the train situation. Anybody know anything about that? Thanks, V
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs