Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 AM

9 posts, read 30,515 times

Advertisements

Does anyone knows this school? There are so many great apartments to rent and they all belong to this school district. It seems to not be rated to high but also sort of changing for better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I believe you are thinking to relocate specifically because of disappointment with your child's past year high school experience. In such a case I think it is not a good idea to pin much hope on a school "improving".

Your case is somewhat unique and I would have different advice for people in a more "long term" situation.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:39 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Marlena,
As in your first thread, are you geographically limited by work? In another thread you indicate you work in Winnetka and that you are looking for a house. Now it's an apartment. Nothing wrong with renting, it makes a lot of sense. But driving from Bolingbrook or Willowbrook to Winnetka will be hellish and take time away from being with your son. There are many nice rentals up in the 10 mile circumference of Winnetka. Just some helpful advice: live as close to work as you can. When my wife worked she had a 20 minute rule: no job for her more than a 20 minute commute so she would have more family time.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:44 PM

I work mostly at home with an office in Lincoln Park. I own the house that I will rent out so we can be in better school district. I'm shopping around for either house or apartment - doesn't matter. The high school does.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlena123 View Post
I work mostly at home with an office in Lincoln Park. I own the house that I will rent out so we can be in better school district. I'm shopping around for either house or apartment - doesn't matter. The high school does.
How often will you need to visit the house you rent & where is it located?
With working from home and occasional Lincoln Park office visits, you have a wide area to choose from. Lincoln Park might be closer to North Suburbs followed by NW and Western suburbs. If you travel from SW suburbs you are looking at additional time coming in on I-55, then up the Dan Ryan. I don't do that commute, but I'm guessing that adds an extra 10 minutes to the commute?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Does anyone know the Willowbrook high school?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 PM

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlena123 View Post
Does anyone know the Willowbrook high school?
Your assessment is pretty accurate. It is in Villa Park, and does not have impressive numbers. Some of the residents in VP wanted to split up Addison Trail HS from Willowbrook because they felt that the Willowbrook would be better off if AT were not sharing resources in D88. The data shows that AT has a larger Hispanic population but otherwise neither school is doing an excellent job:

http://www.hsdist88.dupage.k12.il.us...0CARD%2006.pdf

If you need a school that is doing great by current standards I would look elsewhere.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Thank you so much! This is exectly what I needed to know. I will eliminate it from my list.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Your assessment is pretty accurate. It is in Villa Park, and does not have impressive numbers. Some of the residents in VP wanted to split up Addison Trail HS from Willowbrook because they felt that the Willowbrook would be better off if AT were not sharing resources in D88. The data shows that AT has a larger Hispanic population but otherwise neither school is doing an excellent job:

If you need a school that is doing great by current standards I would look elsewhere.
How embarrasing; I thought Willowbrook High School served Willowbrook, IL.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 AM

A lot of folks mix that up. The HS is literally next to a stream / brook with a field of willow trees. Students come from Villa Park and Oakbrook Terrace and the surrounding unincorporated areas in the area.

Much further south Willowbrook (the town) is tucked between Hinsdale and Burr Ridge. The high schools are either Hinsdale Central or South, with some homes literally given the option of either. There may even be some folks with Willowbrook addresses that are in the Lemont school district...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs