Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,033 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are first time home buyers and we are looking at a few places in Wheeling,IL. The area in Wheeling that we are interested is between S Elmhurst Rd and S Wolf Rd (Near Heritage Park). We are interested in this area because it is within walking distance to Metra and I have to commute to downtown Chicago for work. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions on this area is much appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:18 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Are schools important? What are some of the other locations. Wheeling is an interesting suburb. It has some "rough" (for the NW suburbs) areas, but also has some really good neighborhoods as well. I would really talk to some of your future neighbors and also thoroughly drive not only your neighborhood but also a 1-2 mile radius. I do not care for the apartments north of Dundee on Wolf and north of Dundee on rte 83.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
The schools are pretty good in comparison to the city schools. Compared to suburban schools, they are midlevel. Try to get in the District 21 elementary school district and 214 high school district. Make sure you understand the demographics of the condo complex. A lot of them are rented privately to Section 8 tenants.

It will be an easy train ride to Chicago, especially if you don't have to park.

Just because the area may be Hispanic doesn't mean it is a bad area. A lot of the Hispanics are well off.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The schools are pretty good in comparison to the city schools. Compared to suburban schools, they are midlevel. Try to get in the District 21 elementary school district and 214 high school district. Make sure you understand the demographics of the condo complex. A lot of them are rented privately to Section 8 tenants.

It will be an easy train ride to Chicago, especially if you don't have to park.

Just because the area may be Hispanic doesn't mean it is a bad area. A lot of the Hispanics are well off.
OP didn't say if it was Condo or SF. Some DIst 21 schools are fair and others are better. Wheeling HS is a better HS than many give it credit for. Better option, although probably more expensive, is to get into Dist 23. I agree re. the demographics, many honest, hard working Hispanics in Wheeling-good number own their homes.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:09 PM

If you can get zoned into the Arlington Heights/ Buffalo Grove side of District 21, it's better as Cubssoxfan said. Regardless of where you go in Wheeling, you will be zoned to District 214 high schools. I think Wheeling is only served by Wheeling HS and a small portion to Buffalo Grove High School. Correct me if I am wrong on these assumptions.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
If you can get zoned into the Arlington Heights/ Buffalo Grove side of District 21, it's better as Cubssoxfan said. Regardless of where you go in Wheeling, you will be zoned to District 214 high schools. I think Wheeling is only served by Wheeling HS and a small portion to Buffalo Grove High School. Correct me if I am wrong on these assumptions.
Very accurate statement. Here is the zoning map: http://www.d214.org/shared/info/areamap.pdf (broken link) I noticed the scores are better for Dist 21 schools feeding into Buffalo Grove HS. District 23 scores are better than District 21 scores. Wheeling HS ACT scores are a little lower than Hersey, BG and Prospect but I think it's due to having a larger portion of non-college bound kids taking the test. Course offerings, sports and extra curricular offerings are strong at all 214 high schools. Wheeling HS has a larger Hispanic student population than the other 214 schools and although the "I'm here because I have to be" element worries me a smidge, I think it's great for my kids to be exposed to a different, non WASP-upper middle income, background. The more cultures and different points of view they are exposed to, the better to balance my fussy, somewhat strict, inflexible Germanic ways I am cursing/blessing them with
Many of the HIspanic families remind me of my parents- immigrants who came here to provide a better life for their family through hard work.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 AM

Wheeling (both village and high school) at one point was plurality Jewish. It is now majority Hispanic, with still a sizable Jewish population, though most of the Jewish students are at BGHS.

I think the rest of the 214 schools are mostly WASPs, with a smidgeon of Hispanics, Italians, and Polish.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 AM

and Indian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Ukranian, Egyptian and many others-

Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 AM

13 posts, read 34,926 times
I would strongly suggest you buy/move anywhere but Wheeling. Trust me, you will be thanking your lucky stars if you listen to me. Talk to any cop in Wheeling and they will tell you the same thing. Latin Kings (Gangs) all over. Crime infested hispanic community<< definition of Wheeling.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimeisnow View Post
I would strongly suggest you buy/move anywhere but Wheeling. Trust me, you will be thanking your lucky stars if you listen to me. Talk to any cop in Wheeling and they will tell you the same thing. Latin Kings (Gangs) all over. Crime infested hispanic community<< definition of Wheeling.

Disagree for the most part. Sure, there are some gang members, but what burbs don't have any anymore. Just because it is majority Hispanic doesn't make it bad. By that definition, Los Angeles is all bad too.

Wheeling still has good schools, better than most in Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs