Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 PM

63 posts, read 208,315 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with Gurnee schools? My husband and I currently live in Gurnee with our 1 year old daughter. Lately, the scores for Woodland Schools on Greatschools.net have been less that stellar.

I am just wondering if anyone has had a good experience or known anyone with a good experience at these schools. We don't know if we should consider sending her to private schools down the road, staying here if the schools are okay, or moving in a couple of years.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
First you ought to know that sites that allow people to give 'stars' are perhaps useful for picking a movie or a restaurant but when trying to provide objective data about the relative merits of elementary schools there ought to be better tools.

Second anyone who is thinking about schools when they have 4-5 years before kindergarten is ON THE RIGHT TRACK! Odds that you will make a difference in your child's school readiness are HUGE.

The specifics of the decisions of the school district to operate "grade level centers" is somewhat unique in Illinois and makes it hard to directly compare to other districts where the decision to have neighborhood schools comes with different trade offs. The district numbers are mostly middle of road, but the experience is fairly different than having your child progress along with a smaller number of classmates from kindergarten to middle school or high school.

I would suggest that first hand experience in the schools themselves, and some time at comparison public or private schools in nearby towns are FAR BETTER than any impression you can get second hand...

Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2009, 03:34 PM

63 posts, read 208,315 times
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback and honesty. I think I have a lot of research to do. It's a good thing I have a few years.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 11,839 times
I would suggest not sending your kids to schools that are so big. Statistics show that big schools are bad for kids.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBoy1 View Post
I would suggest not sending your kids to schools that are so big. Statistics show that big schools are bad for kids.
Like what? That many larger school such as Stevenson and New Trier, have excellent reputations?
What statistics?
If a school is too small it may not have the extra-curricular and academic offerings of a larger school.
I think staff, parents, funding and demographics have more to do with the quality than size alone.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:18 PM

I believe LCBoy was responding to my post about the elementary district.

Woodlands is rather unique in have quite large schools that cluster all the elementary students.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:03 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,869 times
No LC BOY is mad he/she got caught by the Gurnee red light cameras. I'm glad we snagged your pic! Slow down!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,869 times
I missed this post about Gurnee schools. My kid goes to Woodland. First, I grew up in Deerfield and am a product of the Deerfield School system---highly rated as you know. My son in 3rd grade seems much more advanced than I was at his age. He is very motivated by the staff and challenged. So, I think Woodland is excellent. Sure its big, but the school operates "as many small schools within a a big school". This means that kids are grouped together in subsets K-6 so they are able to have a smaller school experience.

The other school district in town, Gurnee 56, is not as well regarded as Woodland.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:22 PM

198 posts, read 388,113 times
I subbed for Woodland School District (District 50) and I liked it there. Good district. I also subbed for the Gurnee School District (District 56). Liked it there too. Both districts, in my eyes, are good districts.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:46 AM

since the Illinois test for elementary schools are so pathetic I would have a hard time allowing anyone to say they are "good" -- basically if the numbers that are not in the high 80's / 90's that is cause for concern.

http://www.suntimes.com/images/cds/pdf/elemagate.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs