Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Of course it is true, the Chicago southland is mostly inferior compared to the Northern and Western parts of Chicagoland.
Of course what is true? The OP's question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Everything you hear about the Chicago southland is probably true or at least anchored in truth somewhere along the line. It's the worst part of the Chicago area, no questions asked. Of course, it has bright points. Just not as many as its Northern or Western counterparts.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM

247 posts, read 688,366 times
The big problem for most of the south suburbs is the quality of education. Sunnybrook SD 171 (serves parts of Lansing and Lynwood) just cut ALL extracurricular activities at their most recent board meeting due to a failed referendum last spring.

Decent families that care about education will be moving/looking elsewhere for housing, or sending their kids to private school.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 PM

274 posts, read 708,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
The big problem for most of the south suburbs is the quality of education. Sunnybrook SD 171 (serves parts of Lansing and Lynwood) just cut ALL extracurricular activities at their most recent board meeting due to a failed referendum last spring.

Decent families that care about education will be moving/looking elsewhere for housing, or sending their kids to private school.
really? I thought it passed. Glad my kids don't go there anymore. I hope the teachers are ok.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:34 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
How sad. All extracurriculars??!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:13 PM

EVERYTHING was cut. No more Band, Chorus, athletics, Student Council, clubs...everything is gone. PLEASE encourage everyone to get out and vote when this is on the ballot again this spring. Staff cuts will be next if the referendum fails again (it failed by a very narrow margin, so everyone is keeping their fingers crossed for this time around).

I used to teach in the District, and I loved it! Geography is my only reason for leaving. I hope that the district is able to pass the referendum and reinstate the programs; the kids there deserve it.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
I really love how topical all of this is.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 AM

274 posts, read 708,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I really love how topical all of this is.
really.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:21 PM

Funny, I thought the topic was about changes in the south suburbs. How dare I inform people about the changes in a south surburban school district. My apologies; from now on I guess I'll just keep my information to myself.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:18 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
Quote:
Funny, I thought the topic was about changes in the south suburbs. How dare I inform people about the changes in a south surburban school district. My apologies; from now on I guess I'll just keep my information to myself.
I made that comment because the conversation was focused on one suburb. South Chicagoland is very far reaching. I would almost consider Peotone as part of S Chicagoland...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs