Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 8,406 times

Advertisements

[quote=At1WithNature;13100011]Yeah go ahead and roll your eyes. Your opinion means nothing compared to the teachers that I know that teach in that district and deal with broken families. Students who turn their homework in where the paper smells like marijuana smoke. 13 year olds who come to school with hickeys the size of baseball on their neck because their mother forces them into prostitution. You are blind. roll your eyes. You know nothing.[/quote

You should really think about what you post... so not true.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Are you kidding me? I just told you a "Mother" forced her 13 year old child into prostitution and you are telling me those types of things happen in every school? I'm glad you don't live in my neighborhood and I hope you never do.

[SIZE=3]I don’t think he/she is saying that [/SIZE]it is normal for kids to be prostituted by their parents and that parents who smoke weed around their children is acceptable behavior. You cannot be bias about people; you have bad white and black people in all areas. Almost all of your schools have some type of drug problem and HF has one of the biggest, they have undercover officers in the school because of the rich white kids whose parents leave them home alone with money and allow them to party freely.
At1WithNature you should read your history. If you are as smart as I think you are then you would not discriminate against one ethnic group. You have black families that raise their children right as well as wrong and that goes for white families too.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:02 AM

I don’t think he/she is saying that it is normal for kids to be prostituted by their parents and that parents who smoke weed around their children is acceptable behavior. You cannot be bias about people; you have bad white and black people in all areas. Almost all of your schools have some type of drug problem and HF has one of the biggest, they have undercover officers in the school because of the rich white kids whose parents leave them home alone with money and allow them to party freely.

At1WithNature you should read your history. If you are as smart as I think you are then you would not discriminate against one ethnic group. You have black families that raise their children right as well as wrong and that goes for white families too.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:50 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Why so much hatred for the southern suburbs? Particularly the middle class and upper middle class majority black ones. They are always discussed as if they are in decline even when in reality they are not. There are plenty of western and southwestern suburbs that are seeing some of the same CHANGES, and in many cases are even worse off than many of the southern suburbs that have been mentioned. What about Joliet, Bolingbrook, Plainfield, Romeoville, Lockport, Crest Hill, and Braidwood just to name a few. Just because these areas happen to be majority white and are located in the western and southwestern suburbs there CHANGES get overlooked and I hardly ever see anything critical posted about these areas. High foreclosure rates, falling property values and the increased crime that follows the lower income residents that creep into the surrounding areas is not only plaguing PARTS of the southern suburbs. All of these areas that I just mention have experienced better days and happen to be majority white western and southwestern suburbs. There are plenty of southern suburbs that rank among the better suburbs in the entire chicagoland area. But, we continue to talk about the handful that are lower income higher crime areas, and try to paint the entire southern suburbs in this light. I think its time that people start being honest about the real underlying issues aside from race.

Last edited by allen2323; 07-08-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default JunterXP

Bolingbrook, Plainfield, Romeoville, Lockport, Crest Hill, and Braidwood

Bolingbrook in particular is okay in some parts, not so okay in other parts and appears to be slowly getting worse. It is cheap housing which allows riff raff to come in. You are seeing the same thing happen in the cheaper parts of Naperville as well as Woodridge.

Though we try to distance ourselves from race, please do not think it does not play a factor. Olympia Fields and Flossmor, very high incomes, great private schools but the public schools have seen serious decline in recent years. Please acknowledge that as these areas ethnic mix has changed, the schools have changed as well, particularly the public schools.

It is overly simplistic but I can confidently say, "You can't go wrong with schools in areas where Indian/Asian people are moving." Look at Niles/Skokie, not all high income but relatively good schools. Race is definitely a factor as much as we would like to dismiss it. It comes down to culture and what cultures value more. Asians/Indians, particularly first generation, value education, sometimes to an extreme. This is not the case with other cultures.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:59 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Bolingbrook, Plainfield, Romeoville, Lockport, Crest Hill, and Braidwood

Bolingbrook in particular is okay in some parts, not so okay in other parts and appears to be slowly getting worse. It is cheap housing which allows riff raff to come in. You are seeing the same thing happen in the cheaper parts of Naperville as well as Woodridge.

Though we try to distance ourselves from race, please do not think it does not play a factor. Olympia Fields and Flossmor, very high incomes, great private schools but the public schools have seen serious decline in recent years. Please acknowledge that as these areas ethnic mix has changed, the schools have changed as well, particularly the public schools.

It is overly simplistic but I can confidently say, "You can't go wrong with schools in areas where Indian/Asian people are moving." Look at Niles/Skokie, not all high income but relatively good schools. Race is definitely a factor as much as we would like to dismiss it. It comes down to culture and what cultures value more. Asians/Indians, particularly first generation, value education, sometimes to an extreme. This is not the case with other cultures.
For the most part, I agree with you. However, I believe it is more so CULTURE as opposed to RACE. Why? Because when Black Africans move into an area, typically, they tend to move into higher income white areas as opposed to middle-class or lower-middle class African-American areas. If you could get the scores for Nigerian, Ghanaian, and Kenyan students (for example) they probably would be much higher than those of African-American students. TYPICALLY, education is valued more in AFRICAN (like straight from Africa) families as opposed to African-American families that have been here for hundreds of years.....the reason why many people ignore this is because people assume that [Black = African-American] ALWAYS when this is not the case. So I would just like to add that in addition to Asians and Indians, African-born residents tend to place a high emphasis on education as well .

Old 07-09-2010, 06:29 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Why so much hatred for the southern suburbs? Particularly the middle class and upper middle class majority black ones. They are always discussed as if they are in decline even when in reality they are not. There are plenty of western and southwestern suburbs that are seeing some of the same CHANGES, and in many cases are even worse off than many of the southern suburbs that have been mentioned. What about Joliet, Bolingbrook, Plainfield, Romeoville, Lockport, Crest Hill, and Braidwood just to name a few. Just because these areas happen to be majority white and are located in the western and southwestern suburbs there CHANGES get overlooked and I hardly ever see anything critical posted about these areas. High foreclosure rates, falling property values and the increased crime that follows the lower income residents that creep into the surrounding areas is not only plaguing PARTS of the southern suburbs. All of these areas that I just mention have experienced better days and happen to be majority white western and southwestern suburbs. There are plenty of southern suburbs that rank among the better suburbs in the entire chicagoland area. But, we continue to talk about the handful that are lower income higher crime areas, and try to paint the entire southern suburbs in this light. I think its time that people start being honest about the real underlying issues aside from race.
Trust me those areas get some negative posts on here as well. I use to live in this area and i'll admit there are a few shady spots but nothing serious (except maybe joliet and parts of aurora)

sw burbs imo have more in common with the southburbs then the western burbs. But thats just my opinion

Last edited by mas23; 07-09-2010 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
For the most part, I agree with you. However, I believe it is more so CULTURE as opposed to RACE. Why? Because when Black Africans move into an area, typically, they tend to move into higher income white areas as opposed to middle-class or lower-middle class African-American areas. If you could get the scores for Nigerian, Ghanaian, and Kenyan students (for example) they probably would be much higher than those of African-American students. TYPICALLY, education is valued more in AFRICAN (like straight from Africa) families as opposed to African-American families that have been here for hundreds of years.....the reason why many people ignore this is because people assume that [Black = African-American] ALWAYS when this is not the case. So I would just like to add that in addition to Asians and Indians, African-born residents tend to place a high emphasis on education as well .
Blacks from here are more or less institutionalized in their thinking. When government decides to group these individuals together with the lure of section 8, or low income housing, AA's usually fall for the bait. This creates a "crabs in a barrell" attitude to prevail over the community, a personality trait that blacks from other countries are not privy to. Upon reading most of the post on here, I have decided to live where I can afford(with reasonable schools of course). I really was overthinking my housing choice, but based off some of the opinions on this site....I would rather do the opposite of what is suggested. That's not an un-educated choice, but just a choice to not move anywhere near most of the members on this site!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Blacks from here are more or less institutionalized in their thinking. When government decides to group these individuals together with the lure of section 8, or low income housing, AA's usually fall for the bait. This creates a "crabs in a barrell" attitude to prevail over the community, a personality trait that blacks from other countries are not privy to. Upon reading most of the post on here, I have decided to live where I can afford(with reasonable schools of course). I really was overthinking my housing choice, but based off some of the opinions on this site....I would rather do the opposite of what is suggested. That's not an un-educated choice, but just a choice to not move anywhere near most of the members on this site!
lol!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default African vs. African American

I agree with the poster that Africans tend to do better than blacks who have been here for generations. This is also because the best and brightest tend to immigrate. The harder it is to reach the US (plane vs walking) the better talent you will have coming here. Also, you have to be able to afford the plane ticket to come in the first place so that almost ensures that most of those flying over here are middle or at least working class. They are not the welfare class.

I agree with you Northwest Indiana on this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs