Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Blacks from here are more or less institutionalized in their thinking. When government decides to group these individuals together with the lure of section 8, or low income housing, AA's usually fall for the bait. This creates a "crabs in a barrell" attitude to prevail over the community, a personality trait that blacks from other countries are not privy to. Upon reading most of the post on here, I have decided to live where I can afford(with reasonable schools of course). I really was overthinking my housing choice, but based off some of the opinions on this site....I would rather do the opposite of what is suggested. That's not an un-educated choice, but just a choice to not move anywhere near most of the members on this site!
I'm intrigued by this. Please explain further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 02:14 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I'm intrigued by this. Please explain further.
Which part?

Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Which part?
The "crabs in a barrel" thought process and what you perceive as differentiation between African blacks and African Americans.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Quote:
... but just a choice to not move anywhere near most of the members on this site!
that doesn't help much, still leaves you with pretty much the entire south side to choose from.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
The "crabs in a barrel" thought process and what you perceive as differentiation between African blacks and African Americans.
I would elaborate, but this thread would lose it's focus.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I would elaborate, but this thread would lose it's focus.
Make it relevant to the thread.

It sounded like you had made a strong connection between your point and racial/socioeconomic changes in south chicagoland.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 PM

I can't speak on behalf of Africans, but as an AA, I have walked the walk. My personal observation is that all other cultures except for the AA, have been taught to expect better out of life. Only the smartest and brightest will shine, and the rest will either envy or betray them. Unlike other races, AA's(when grouped together)have a limited choice. They are relegated to a certain area or restricted in number, unlike other races. When one chooses to excel, there may be backlash(aka HATER!)against one's personal success. Jewelry, rims, big-screen t.v.'s expensive trendy clothing, etc, are all apart of the instant gratification they need to feel that they too are a success, even if it's temporary.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
This thread reads like total BS. Blacks, whites whatever in america have a different set of values than immigrants that come here. Educated or middle class African, Jamaican, Filipino, Chinese or any other race who come from poorer countries come here mainly just for financial opportunity, it's as simple as that. For the most part they love there country that they came from alot more and would prefer to live there if it wasn't for the fact that they are making so much more money here. Who would want to live in the US over the Philippines or Jamaica for any other reason than money? They find it alot easier to make alot of money here compared to there home country and don't feel the need to spend it here. They have more of a make it here spend it back in there home country with there family mentality. There are some countries like the Philippines where remittances (money sent back home to families from people working overseas) accounts for more than half of the countries GDP. I don't feel any crab in a barrel mentality exist any more with blacks than whites. In fact the opposite is usually the case for blacks. For the most part I find blacks who are financially succesful are idolized and put on a pedestal by there friends and family. Especially if they come from a lower income family.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
This thread reads like total BS. Blacks, whites whatever in america have a different set of values than immigrants that come here. Educated or middle class African, Jamaican, Filipino, Chinese or any other race who come from poorer countries come here mainly just for financial opportunity, it's as simple as that. For the most part they love there country that they came from alot more and would prefer to live there if it wasn't for the fact that they are making so much more money here. Who would want to live in the US over the Philippines or Jamaica for any other reason than money? They find it alot easier to make alot of money here compared to there home country and don't feel the need to spend it here. They have more of a make it here spend it back in there home country with there family mentality. There are some countries like the Philippines where remittances (money sent back home to families from people working overseas) accounts for more than half of the countries GDP. I don't feel any crab in a barrel mentality exist any more with blacks than whites. In fact the opposite is usually the case for blacks. For the most part I find blacks who are financially succesful are idolized and put on a pedestal by there friends and family. Especially if they come from a lower income family.
And you know this from being black yourself?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM

I knew that this thread would jump off track!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs