Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 05:49 AM

19 posts, read 72,175 times

Advertisements

Everyone has been asking us to do a Christian Night at The Orbit with the best music from christian and gospel. It's a family event, Tuesday, July 28th 6-9pm and the cost is only $5.50pp or $16 Family/4 and skate rental is free. Live DJ so bring your requests and tell your friends. We don't have much time to get the word out! Check the website

Last edited by Skatemore; 07-25-2009 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: added the date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 04:48 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
So "Christians" can't skate with non-Christians or people who are less outwardly religious? I guess the music thing is the primary factor, eh?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Default Inquiring minds want to know...

I've always been curious as to why skating has been so embraced by the Christian community. I noticed that many of the Conservative Christian homeschool groups and private schools often have these skating parties. Is it just that it is relatively affordable and family-friendly?

For some Christian groups, is skating acceptable while dancing is not? I know dancing is not allowed by certain baptist groups and schools, but is skating ok because it is a "sport"? What about skate-dancing? Are there "rules" such as No Hip Shaking, No Holding Hands w/opposite sex, etc.? Must they skate to Christian music or can they skate to good ole rock & roll?

Would Kevin Bacon have been allowed to skate in Footloose if he had had the choice?

p.s. How will you confirm that the skaters are "Christian" when they go to buy a ticket? Must they recite the Aposles' Creed?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I've always been curious as to why skating has been so embraced by the Christian community. I noticed that many of the Conservative Christian homeschool groups and private schools often have these skating parties. Is it just that it is relatively affordable and family-friendly?
Its not "so embraced". Its no different than schools or boy scouts, etc, setting up skate nights. Its fun for families and cheap, simple as that.

Quote:
For some Christian groups, is skating acceptable while dancing is not? I know dancing is not allowed by certain baptist groups and schools, but is skating ok because it is a "sport"? What about skate-dancing? Are there "rules" such as No Hip Shaking, No Holding Hands w/opposite sex, etc.? Must they skate to Christian music or can they skate to good ole rock & roll?
What does skating have to do with dancing or holding hands? Last I checked neither were required to skate properly. And it would depend on the church as to whether or not theyd allow skate-dancing. Some churches allow it, some dont, all depends. When I attended a church-sponsored skate waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in Junior High, we skated to both Christian music and secular tunes that were clean.

Would Kevin Bacon have been allowed to skate in Footloose if he had had the choice?

Quote:
p.s. How will you confirm that the skaters are "Christian" when they go to buy a ticket? Must they recite the Aposles' Creed?
Well, Id hope they'd have to at least spell "apostle" correctly.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
When I was a kid, church youth groups organized activities with other members of the church. I was raised Methodist, and we had an active youth group that had retreats or went skiing, etc. And of course, there were camps. People in my town were typically mainline protestant or Catholic, though we had a few "evangelical" churches like the Assemblies of God and Baptists.

These "evangelical" churches were markedly different in that they were part of a huge Christian marketing apparatus, including Christian pop music, t-shirts with slogans, etc. They tried to recruit kids from mainline churches (like mine) for "youth group" activities that basically amounted to indoctrination and brainwashing. It was very cult-like. My brother got sucked in for a few years, and began to try converting his family because he believed that the Methodist church was a "dead church" and that we were not "saved" according to the rules of his church. He said this to my own father, who went to church every Sunday, sang in the choir, and led service missions to help the poor. My brother eventually "snapped out of it", and came back to a healthier style of religion. But to this day, I am wary of the increasing separation of "Christian society" and "regular society". I'm not talking about prayer in schools (which I don't support), but the holier-than-thou chosen seclusion that many so-called "Christians" are practicing. This fragmentation is leading to increasingly radical behavior from many churches, and leads to the behavior you see in movies like Jesus Camp. Most of the Christians I grew up with did not behave this way, but now it seems you aren't "Christian enough" if you aren't listenging to lame "Christian" Rock, attending "Christian only" events, and dating on "Christian" web sites. I find the entire phenomenon creepy, and there isn't an ounce of intelligence in any of it. It's possible to be Christian without being one of these fascists.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-03-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 02:19 PM

358 posts, read 847,431 times
Sounds like a feeble attempt to save a relic. Roller rinks are d-o-n-e...DONE.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
The flip side of the coin is, religious or not, homeschool kids do not have school chums. The skating rink is just one of many forums where homeschool kids and parents meet and socialize. Whether or not they are Christian is probably less important than kids meeting their peers in a family safe social setting. Besides, skating is great exercise. It tones leg muscles and raises the heart rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs