Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I'm from the Northwest side, I like it here. I plan on staying in the general area as long as I'm around here.
Hmm. Same way I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Perceptioon is everything. To me a suburb, once I am off the main routes, it represents less noise, less traffic, a slower pace, green grass, mature trees, good sidewalks, small parks and more space between homes. It makes little difference whether of not the downtown is saturated with bars, restaurants or stores, but it should have some basic services. hardware, library, barber and beauty shop, auto parts, post office, cafe, pharmacy, insurance agency, and a variety store. Not too rar away I would want to find a pluimber, car repair, mower repair, electrician, maybe a neighborhood bar/with food, medical clinic, Dairy Queen, and a community pool. A little farther a away there should be a softball diamon and some places to worship scattered about and schools. Anything and Everything else would be a bonus for me. .
What something is suppose do represent and what it actually is aren't always the same thing. Take Christian Televangelists who order gay hookers, for example.

What does this post have to do with the topic of this thread though?

Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 AM

829 posts, read 2,087,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I agree with those who have said the south suburban area has decline over the recent past. It seems noticeable to those of us who live in NWI and used to go there for some shopping, dining, movies, etc.

I'd also agree with those who recommend Orland or Tinley. Remember, though, that this area has become VERY crowded. Traffic can be really bad. It seems as though the nearby communities in Will county have grown a bit too much as well.

The real question is are there any comparable suburban areas that are better in the chicagoland area, which caters to the same demographics? Meaning more preferable for the people who currently choose to live in this area. You have to remember that when you are discussing middle class income and above areas you are talking about mostly people who have choices and options. Obviously the demographics that choose this area sees obvious shortcomings in many of the other nearby areas that are usually mentioned. Given that the demographics in those areas are so different.

Last edited by allen2323; 03-12-2011 at 02:56 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 AM

17,366 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
What does this post have to do with the topic of this thread though?
Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
The real question is are there any comparable suburban areas that are better in the chicagoland area, which caters to the same demographics? Meaning more preferable for the people who currently choose to live in this area. You have to remember that when you are discussing middle class income and above areas you are talking about mostly people who have choices and options. Obviously the demographics that choose this area sees obvious shortcomings in many of the other nearby areas that are usually mentioned. Given that the demographics in those areas are so different.
No, actually the real question of the revived thread was "why people don't want to move here?" And LIS123 said that he/she agrees with others that the south suburban area has been in decline.

You're getting off topic.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Good question.

No, actually the real question of the revived thread was "why people don't want to move here?" And LIS123 said that he/she agrees with others that the south suburban area has been in decline.

You're getting off topic.

I think saying the entire south suburbs is in decline is like saying NWI is in decline. Or that the western suburbs are in decline because some of the closer in ones are in decline. For example, Gary lost 21.9 percent of it's population over the past 10 years. And lake county, indiana's population as a whole just increased by a "whopping" 2.4 percent over the past 10 years. In comparison chicago suburban will county saw a 34.9 percent population increase.

I certainly wouldn't say the far southern suburbs as a whole is experiencing any sort of decline. For example, middle income matteson saw a population increase of 47 percent over the past 10 years. Is that decline? If so, I am sure matteson area residents would prefer to have that sort of "decline" anyday, over things staying the same. Matteson's population has grown from 12,928 in 2000 to 19,009 in 2010. Lynwood, saw a 22 percent population increase over the past 10 years. Richton park, 8.9 percent increase. Monee, 76.1 increase in population. Crete, 12.4 increase. Obviously enough middle income residents prefer the far southern suburbs if the population is growing. Some very large middle income demographics are choosing the far southern suburbs over other nearby areas mentioned. Which happen to be areas that demographics in the far southern suburbs obviously have shortcomings about, given there is such a stark contrast between the makeup of the demographics.

Last edited by allen2323; 03-12-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 10:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Lynwood is definitely up and coming. Yes, parts of residential Matteson are up and coming too. No doubt about it. I guess I contributed to the "up and coming" ness of Monee but I won't let the door hit me in the ass either. I would like to live somewhere where I have basic amenities like a neighborhood grocery store, a local library and Pace buses.

The Lincoln Highway area of Matteson and Olympia Fields has had thier Blockbuster and Borders close down. And the Borders in Matteson was a part of what made this area home. Granted both Borders and Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy but I guess when a company files for bankruptcy, the location on Lincoln Highway is one of the locations to go.

Crime in Park Forest is up. There's definitely more rowdy behavior than there used to be but it's nothing too dramatic. Chicago Heights has always been like this. No decline there. The crime rate in Sauk Village sky rocketed in the past ten years but you hardly ever hear anything about the Village on City-Date unless it's one of my posts. There didn't used to be open air drug dealing in the Village but it's rampant today in the right side of town during the right time of night. Homewood is just as thriving as ever. Flossmoor is still Flossmoor. If you really wanted a homogeneous society, maybe you should leave America.

I'd say the south suburbs have gone through "decline" in parts but I'd never paint the whole region with that same brush.

Last edited by urza216; 03-12-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
The core reason why the south suburbs demographics are so different from the other suburban regions is because of its proximity to the southside. If it was in reverse and the Northside was half black, then there would be more black people in the North/Northwest suburban Cook County than there is now. I think the reason why Evanston has thousands of black people is because it neighbors Rogers Park.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I think saying the entire south suburbs is in decline is like saying NWI is in decline. Or that the western suburbs are in decline because some of the closer in ones are in decline. For example, Gary lost 21.9 percent of it's population over the past 10 years. And lake county, indiana's population as a whole just increased by a "whopping" 2.4 percent over the past 10 years. In comparison chicago suburban will county saw a 34.9 percent population increase.

I certainly wouldn't say the far southern suburbs as a whole is experiencing any sort of decline. For example, middle income matteson saw a population increase of 47 percent over the past 10 years. Is that decline? If so, I am sure matteson area residents would prefer to have that sort of "decline" anyday, over things staying the same. Matteson's population has grown from 12,928 in 2000 to 19,009 in 2010. Lynwood, saw a 22 percent population increase over the past 10 years. Richton park, 8.9 percent increase. Monee, 76.1 increase in population. Crete, 12.4 increase. Obviously enough middle income residents prefer the far southern suburbs if the population is growing. Some very large middle income demographics are choosing the far southern suburbs over other nearby areas mentioned. Which happen to be areas that demographics in the far southern suburbs obviously have shortcomings about, given there is such a stark contrast between the makeup of the demographics.
If the definition of "declining" is an increase in crime and a decrease in school quality, then yes, as a whole the south suburbs have declined.

In fact, about 3/4 of south suburban communities have seen an increase in crime over the last decade. Towns like Homewood, Glenwood, Country Club Hills, Flossmoor, Park Forest ... crime in those towns has increased.

Sure, there are a few towns in the Southland that have seen a decrease in crime - but overwhelmingly, crime is up. So while it's not the entire south suburban area, it is the majority - which is most likely why someone would make the comment that "the south suburbs have declined".

Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If the definition of "declining" is an increase in crime and a decrease in school quality, then yes, as a whole the south suburbs have declined.

In fact, about 3/4 of south suburban communities have seen an increase in crime over the last decade. Towns like Homewood, Glenwood, Country Club Hills, Flossmoor, Park Forest ... crime in those towns has increased.

Sure, there are a few towns in the Southland that have seen a decrease in crime - but overwhelmingly, crime is up. So while it's not the entire south suburban area, it is the majority - which is most likely why someone would make the comment that "the south suburbs have declined".

While there may be some truth to what you say in some of the closer in southern suburbs. There are definately still plenty of exceptions such as south holland, and even in the less middle income areas. For example, crime in markham is way down from a decade ago.

The far southern suburbs is for the most part very safe. Crime is relatively low. More serious crimes such as violent crime and home burglary are even lower, particularly in the burbs that you mentioned. For example, Glenwood and flossmoor both haven't had one murder since 2000. Not sure if glenwood or flossmoor have ever had a murder. The fact is, the majority of chicagoland suburbs cannot stake claim to this as most have had atleast 1 murder over the past decade.

All of the public school districts in the far south suburbs are predominantly black. Most of them are doing a far better job of educating and graduating there african american student body than all of the other chicagoland suburban areas. For example, the black students attending Rich Central are making AYP at a much higher rate than the black students attending Hinsdale South in west suburban Darien.

Last edited by allen2323; 03-12-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The far southern suburbs is for the most part very safe. Crime is relatively low. More serious crimes are even lower. Particularly in the burbs that you mentioned. All of the public school districts are predominantly black. Most of them are doing a better job of educating and graduating there african american student body than other chicagoland suburban areas. For example, the black students attending Rich Central are making AYP at a much higher rate than the black students attending Hinsdale South in west suburban Darien.
Like I said, there are a few suburbs that have not seen an increase in crime. But for the most part - crime has increased in the majority of the Southland. An as for crime being "relatively low" ... relatively low to what? Harvey?

As for the school districts, my preference would be that a school district educate ALL kids equally well and not only certain subgroups. And I don't think there's a lick of difference in the learning capabilities between a Asian kid, a German kid and an African American kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs