Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:06 PM

22 posts, read 61,126 times

Advertisements

Some of my Jewish friends have said, and I quote, "HP is too Jewy for me." I was reading another post in this forum where an African American man said he grew up in HP and recommended it to a black family. That blew me away and certainly broadens my perspective on HP. I guess its a place that defies my understanding, and my patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:57 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah H. View Post
Seems like every HP post here leans towards anti semitism veiled as something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebeer View Post
Highland Park is definitely racist, calling it cliquey is just a euphemism. It's an obvious example of segregation in Chicago, because that's what it stands for, that's exactly what it is. Cliquey, I love that. Great spin!!!!
I disagree... Honestly, the fact that HP has a large Jewish population never even crossed my mind when I posted... My own town is loaded with cliques of women who grew up here (and the majority are probably Christian though I don't know or really care). A clique is a clique... Jewish, Christian, Mixed or whatever. Not everyone who mentions that cliques exist is a closet anti semitic.

There have been offensive, deragatory posts on this thread which should be called out (preferably on an individual basis without attacking all posters here)... But I disagree that "every HP post here leans towards anti semitism."

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 09-04-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Wow, this topic has veered WAAAAAY off course!
Yeh, I think it took a turn for the worse... In the beginning, it was just a bunch of moms talking about how to break into the PTO and the mom-cliques (which exist everywhere). Now we're all a bunch of anti semitics... Weird.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:13 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
. Now we're all a bunch of anti semitics... Weird.
No, Cub, you are not all a bunch of anti-semites by a long shot. So when I raised the issue here, I wasn’t responding to people like you who have not shown any negative feelings about Jews or others in your posts. But others have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
“Get a Lexus, that's step number 1. HP Jews love that brand of car above all others. I once drove through the subdivision Hybernia, in HP, and it's incredible the Jewish architecture there. Definitely an unusual style, LOL!!! Is that the style of the "snobs" you are meeting? If so, who cares!”...GRANDATA

“JAPs are the most obnoxious species of humanity ever. Totally racist. Diversity is not for them, that's for sure, despite taking a Democrat ballot every 4 years.”...AQUASE

“Its funny how a lot of them talk about diversity and then reject it in practice. These are the same people that vote very heavily for the Democrats every election. Total frauds!”...MKE-Ed

“I would never live in HP for the same reason that people from HP and Glencoe wouldn't live in Woodlawn or Little Village. I'm not a big fan of enclaves based on race. Highland Park is definitely racist, calling it cliquey is just a euphemism. It's an obvious example of segregation in Chicago, because that's what it stands for, that's exactly what it is. Cliquey, I love that. Great spin!!!!”...FREEBEER
As I stated above, though I am Jewish, I don’t raise the issue of antisemitism because of my background. My policy has always been to raise the issue on any form of prejudice I see, be it racial, religious, ethnic, sexual preference, etc. It is too important not to.

I feel that to not do so is wrong as a member of a this society which, I believe, is in serious trouble over the divides I’ve mentioned here and so many others as well. I believe people should be called out when they show such feelings.

It disturbs me, too, when I make a statement that is completely designed to to register the idea that stereotypes are wrong and that all “groups” exhibit the behavior some would like to think that is part of one “group”, I get this type of interchange:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
... whose clueless ellites belong to restricted WASP country clubs, and who will still to this day see an Asian and ask: What nation do you come from?
Stereotype much?

His post should be reported and deleted for racism but it's just better to point out ignorance when it appears so all can see it. It doesn't take long for the latent anti-White Christian ( aka Wasp) contempt to reveal itself in people like edsg25 when they get hostile.
How Dorothy could have gotten a blanket indictment of all White Christians from my mentioning “clueless elites belong to restricted WASP country clubs” to be anti-White Christian is beyond me. and I assume “people like edsg25” who get hostile must be, by nature, Jewish.

Can Highland Park feel insularly Jewish? I’ve lived there twice in my life, as child and adult, and the answer is “yes”. And definitely in a way that is not true of Northbrook, Deerfield, Buffalo Grove, etc., or even Skokie in its hey day. But it hardly stands out in communities throughout Chicagoland that have a large concentration of one group of people. And that’s the part I have tried to address here (whether or not I’ve been successful in making myself clear or not)

Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 11,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
But I disagree that every HP post here leans towards anti semitism.
Longtime reader, first time poster.

Yeah, it says alot more about the people who overuse the term than it does the people they accuse of it. It's so overused as to be meaningless.

It seems that discussion cannot take place. HP is the most well known location in IL for Chicago's Jewish-Americans today. It serves what Skokie once did. To suggest that you cannot talk about the Jewish American presence in HP is ridiculous. It would be like discussing Chinatown, then mentioning Chinese, then being attacked as being anti-chinese for doing so. The charge of anti-semtism is an oversued joke at this point, and people hurling it about with regards to HP are just trying to avoid discussion or deny aspects about Highland Park and its culture.

PS There are snobby cliques of Muslim women in HP? That's a first, and quite a distortion of the record. If someone were accusing West Rogers Park of being snobby then maybe the hysterical ranting and attempts at censorship of edsg25 could be potentially and remotely valid. Otherwise, it's just his/her attempts to suppress others' viewpoints and experiences about HP. Who cares if someone mentions that HP snobs like Lexus cars? That is not a slur. People have to stand up to people like edsg25 who want to tell others what to think and say.

Last edited by Sevitra; 09-05-2009 at 09:31 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevitra View Post
It seems that discussion cannot take place. HP is the most well known location in IL for Chicago's Jewish-Americans today. It serves what Skokie once did. To suggest that you cannot talk about the Jewish American presence in HP is ridiculous. It would be like discussing Chinatown, then mentioning Chinese, then being attacked as being anti-chinese for doing so. The charge of anti-semtism is an oversued joke at this point, and people hurling it about with regards to HP are just trying to avoid discussion about Highland Park and its culture.
we disagree. i found it offensive. The presence of JAPs is there. What I objected to was the over generalization about Jews. The comments that I highlighted above went far past zeroing in JAPs. And not a one of them put any qualifiers in, such as "some people". And I fully embrace that that "some people" label extends to a number of HP JAPs.

I'm not with you, Sevitra, on this one at all. And I would make a similiar stance on any stereotypes of Mexicans in Highwood, Chinese in Chinatown, blacks in Bronzeville, Italians in Melrose Park, etc.

It's not the attack on Jews (although I am Jewish) that offends. It is the blanket stereotypes and the assigning of traits that all people share.

I was a teacher all my life. I taught in east Glenview, a very North Shore community, even if it is part of an inland suburb. The number of Jewish kids I taught was negligible. Yet the mothers so often exhibited traits that if they had been members of a different religion would label them as JAPs.

I'm not trying to restrict your conversation here. I'm merely putting my two cents in. And to me, much of this conversation was exceedingly uncomfortable and, I feel, inappropriate.

I respect that you see it differently. I'm not trying to change your point of view. Just explaining mine.

And I have made this overly clear:

1. Antisemitism is no worse than any other type of prejudice

2. Jew do not have any "special burden" in America and have, in fact, had far less of price to pay for their background than have people of color. America has been a god-send to Jews.

3. Jew give prejudice very bit as much as they receive it.

4. I would have voiced the same opinion on any group of people who were similiarly portrayed here as Jews were: Jews weren't my issue; people are.

5. Jews should, IMHO, use antisemitism as a crutch and I avoid doing so like the plague. I find that a toxic outlook on life.

6. And finally: Israel proves Jews are no better than anyone else. It is obscene how Israel treats Palestinians (made more obscene by its proximity to the Holocaust), how degrading the notion of a Jewish state is in a democratic world where advanced nations have no special status for any of their citizens.

If that explanation doesn't work, I'm fully ready for you or anyone else who reads what I wrote to think I'm an oversenitive jerk who will jump on the topic of antisemitism at the drop of the hat. I explained where I am coming from (as I have on all posts). Interpret this as you wish.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 11,450 times
You are too sensitive and you are trying to suppress info, and censor speech, and dictate what others are to say and think. Enough.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevitra View Post
You are too sensitive and you are trying to suppress info, and censor speech, and dictate what others are to say and think. Enough.
I'm not. In no way am I suppressing information. I want you to feel free to post what you wish. I don't want to censor anyone's speech and if what you or others posted here was censored, I'd be *(&^%ing mad about it.

I'm for you being able to express whatever you want, even if it is 180° removed from what I write.

If it is "enough" for you, that's fine. It isn't for me. And if "enough" really matters to you, you have control there, too: just avoid this thread or skip my posts. I won't be offended.

I'm not sensitive. I'm worried. I am a worried American. And you, Sevitra and so many others here won't agree with me, but I see a nation literally falling apart at the seams with its loss of any sense of community and its virtually tribal diatrobes. I see us slipping (or free falling) into a point of no return. Lots of my fellow Americans on the progressive/liberal left would agree with what I write wholeheartedly.

Yet we pretend here that it is still the 1980s and the talk of the goings on in Highland Park neighborhoods have no relationship to a very troubling world outside its doors.

I see too much today, certainly racially, certainly based on the Obama presidency that scares the crap out of me. And the attitudes that we have over Mexican and other Latin American immigrants sends chills down my spine. I hear there are "too many" Asians at our universities and they are "squeezing out real Americans." And, yes, I hear Jews are to blame for everything wrong that Israel does. I'm of the opinion that every American of conscience needs to speak up when he sees prejudice, bigotry, stereotyping, or other divisive actions.

Again...feel free to disagree with me. I have no problem with you posts; I am glad to see you are able to express yourself here.

Peace.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:02 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,724,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
we disagree. i found it offensive. The presence of JAPs is there. What I objected to was the over generalization about Jews. The comments that I highlighted above went far past zeroing in JAPs. And not a one of them put any qualifiers in, such as "some people". And I fully embrace that that "some people" label extends to a number of HP JAPs

It's not the attack on Jews (although I am Jewish) that offends. It is the blanket stereotypes and the assigning of traits that all people share.

Except for White Angleo Saxon Protestants who belong to country clubs. Its okay to assume they are all alike and are all racists who insult asians.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:27 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,410 times
Highland Park is like the result of taking Lake Forest & old-school Skokie into a grinder. Now it's the 2nd largest town on the North Shore (after Evanston of course). And contrary to what a lot of folks think, there are a ton of down to earth looking homes, especially closer to the town's western edge. The eastern edge has the majestic lakeshore mansions much like those that many of us have seen in such neighboring towns as Lake Forest (to the north), and Glencoe (to the south). This town is also as southeast you can get in Lake County. In fact, it's closer in distance to Chicago than some Cook County suburbs! For example, Highland Park is closer to Chicago than the Cook County side of Barrington for example. And yes, in terms of the significant affluent Jewish population, I'd have to say that Highland Park is almost like Scarsdale (north of NYC in Westchester County). And in this respect, I'd have to say towns such as Glencoe (directly to the south of Highland Park), is also quite similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs