Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,077 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for your help, my family and me (1 3y. old daughter) will move to chicago next spring before that we will go there in Oct. to look at location in il. and in. the see what works for us best.

We now live in munich germany and are looking for a neighborhood that is:

1. Safe
2. Not further than 40 miles from chicago centre
3. Very good Schools (Public)
4. Close to the water would be nice
5. House max 350000 3 bed 2 bath

Thank you very much for your help...

SENE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Try Arlington Heights. It meets 4 of your 5 wishes. The only water is Lake Arlington which is a 50 acre lake with a 2 mile walking/biking trail around it. So I do not count it as being close to the water since it is not Lake Michigan or a larger lake you can swim in or go motor-boating in(although you can use sail boats, kayaks and canoes in Lake Arlington). There are several neighborhoods in walking distance to the lake. Arlington Vista comes to mind as having homes closest to your price range. There are MANY good suburbs to choose from. Where is work? Traffic is terrible and work location needs to be at or near the top of your list in choosing location. Sind Sie Deutsch? If "ja", how important is it to be near German cultural areas?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
You need to be reasonably close to work - traffic can be horrendous. Let us know where you will be and we'll be better able to help you.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 AM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
maybe highland park.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
The North Shore suburbs are where the water is, right on Lake Michigan. Beautiful towns and great schools, but with your price range, maybe Evanston has more to offer. If you are willing to commute to the lake, I would suggest Elmhurst, Lombard area. Also, agree with the suggestion of Arlington Heights. Good Luck with your move and welcome to the USA.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,507 times
Make it a townhouse and look at Valley Lo in Gleniew. close to Lake Michigan, but Valley Lo has its own private lake too.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,077 times
Thank you so much for all your replies I will be working downtown chicago and yes I am German my wife is from Florida so a few germans would be nice but not really mandatory.

Thank you again for your help.

Greetings from Munich...

Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senecass View Post
Hello, I am looking for your help, my family and me (1 3y. old daughter) will move to chicago next spring before that we will go there in Oct. to look at location in il. and in. the see what works for us best.

We now live in munich germany and are looking for a neighborhood that is:

1. Safe
2. Not further than 40 miles from chicago centre
3. Very good Schools (Public)
4. Close to the water would be nice
5. House max 350000 3 bed 2 bath

Thank you very much for your help...

SENE

I hope you realize to go 40 miles in Chicago it CAN take you better than 2 hours during the day and if there is construction or snowy weather it will go up from there. 40 miles is pretty far out. There are plenty of burbs that fit your bill that are within 20 miles of the Loop. Don't rule out some SW burbs. They aren't close to the lake per se, but can get you one heck of a house for $350,000 now with the economy being in the tank. Schools are top of the line too. Perhaps check out the towns along La Grange Road from I-55 south down to Rte 30. Also throw Lemont in there as well as that is a beautiful town.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 11,238 times
Welcome to Illinois ~ I would definitely recommend Geneva, Illinois. I've lived here for 8 years. I am actually in the process of trying to sell our current home as we need to build a larger one. Our house is in a neighborhood called Mill Creek. We live in the Village Home section which are nice sized houses where you don't have to do the lawn work, snow removal or window washing. I have it listed currently for $350,000 ~ it's a 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath home with a nice loft on the upper level and a full basement. The neighborhood and Geneva itself are very, very family oriented. In Mill Creek we have 2 golf courses, 2 schools, a church and a small shopping center which has a market and a dry cleaners. There are lots of walking paths and bike trails also here. The schools are great ~ the elementary schools are in Mill Creek, then the Middle Schools are very close by also. Downtown Geneva has very quaint shops while having lots of larger stores on the outskirts of town. We have a train station that can take you downtown Chicago which is 40 miles from here. Geneva is considered very safe too. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs