Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandata View Post
Mexicans will NEVER assimilate like White Europeans (Italians, Poles, Germans, Irish) did. It's already been proven. The stats on 3rd and 4th generation Mexican and Puerto Rican Americans are already in, and they aren't pretty.
Link?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:35 PM

53 posts, read 141,927 times
VDARE.com: 06/01/08 - Roll Over, Michael Barone—Even Fourth-Generation Mexicans Are Failing

multiple source links embedded within the article too, all the facts are there.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
VDARE.com: 06/01/08 - Roll Over, Michael Barone—Even Fourth-Generation Mexicans Are Failing

multiple source links embedded within the article too, all the facts are there.
This comment is enlightening:

[T]hey continue to have the lowest average education levels and the highest high school dropout rates among major ethnic and racial groups in the United States.

I can’t say if the statement is 100% accurate but wouldn’t be surprised if it was. The achievement gap between Latino and white children is well documented. Part of the problem is that the kids who come from families with the fewest resources actually require the most resources to teach. This is true for a variety of reasons, including a lack of parental involvement, home environments that are not conducive to educational achievement, learning disabilities, language barriers, etc. In a truly effective system, the schools will “fill in” for the parents, preferably as early as possible, and employ creative teaching methods. This will be costly, and will require our best teachers.

Unfortunately, our property tax-based educational system is set up the exact opposite. In the U.S., “high risk” children get the fewest resources and the least experienced teachers. And we wonder why they’ve been failing. Even more unfortunately, middle America is generally (thus far anyway) isolated from this so they do not grasp the scope of the problem, or can easily ignore it.

At the end of the day, we have been left with a large, and growing, group of under-educated persons in our society, who do not have the tools to compete in the global economy. We can rail against their real and imagined cultural shortcomings and blame liberals until we’re blue in the face. The situation is simply not going to improve under the current system, and will likely continue to grow until it is impossible to ignore.

The fact that more Latino families are enrolling their kids in preschool is a good sign. Still, that probably isn’t going to be enough. If we are serious about closing the achievement gap, and having a future society that is as safe and affluent as it is today, we will change this in some meaningful way.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
Holy mother of Effin God, there's a lot of racist on this site.

I'm guessing this was moved from the illegal board or something.

I hate that board.
I say one thing and I am suspended for days.

Yet these guys can blab on and on saying "Piece of sh*t hispanics" , "spanish is a third world language", "mexicans rape", etc. etc.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 PM

53 posts, read 141,927 times
Spanish is a European and First World language although many butcher it. It's the same with English, think about how many barely can speak it or appreciate its First World origins. Ebonics is butchering a First World language the same way many latinos butcher and drag the Spaniards' exceptionally fine and developed culture and language down too.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Spanish is a European and First World language although many butcher it. It's the same with English, think about how many barely can speak it or appreciate its First World origins. Ebonics is butchering a First World language the same way many latinos butcher and drag the Spaniards' exceptionally fine and developed culture and language down too.

So you going to blame it all on Ebonics? The hillbillies in the Appalachians and Delta are no better. I didn't know there was a such thing as First World Language. Unless you talking about being Internationally known

Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Smile BEWARE this is soaked in -fact- and opinion....don't execute me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
So you going to blame it all on Ebonics? The hillbillies in the Appalachians and Delta are no better. I didn't know there was a such thing as First World Language. Unless you talking about being Internationally known
Funny you say that. There was no first world language. The closest thing the Americas had to actual civilized and stabilized peoples were the Aztecs, Mayans and Incans of Native American history. They didn't live on North America. There were many other tribes/nations/etc. but there was wasn't much language/arts culture development because of their nomadic nature.

Who knows who was here ??? Prior to the exploration of Columbus in 1492, the Cahokia were the largest known settlement in North America. Maybe they can tell you what the first language was? They were organized enough to have developed a system that may have been decipherable by others to find out about another language. But what about the others we haven't got documented?

I claim American heritage because I am Native American, but really America's history is too mixed up for anyone to claim real heritage in anything, or that a "culture" has been destroyed, because there is no real origin of anything here that contributed to anything somewhere else in the world to show there was something uniquely American. I'm not talking about stuff Europeans stole and brought home after wiping out 9/10s of the population.

Native Americans did not trade with England, Spain, or Portugal prior to their arrival because they did not know of their existence. It wasn't necessary to know of it either.

Natives were reliant on each other. There was not much outside trade.

I wonder if they squabbled about things like dialect? It amazes me how today's people get angry about things like that. Different people speak different ways. Simply because they are in the minority does make their way of speaking negative or inferior. Get over yourselves people.

Last edited by deechee; 08-27-2009 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: feel free to correct me on anything lol

Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Let's return to the ORIGINAL TOPIC also. We don't want an off topic thread.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,732 times
Quote:
Remember the majority of the Mexicans that come here are working class and poor. So you might not see a sophisticated Mexican place for a while, until they finally get established or something. The situation isn't the same for Asians, East Indians, and Native Africans who come to Illinois with an education.

Like I said before Elgin crime stats are kind of low for a city over 100,000.

2007 Elgin crime rate- 254
US average crime index- 320.9

And you can thank the USA for making Spanish speakers life so much easier. Look at all the Spanish sub titles/translators in most stores and phone services around Chicago metro. They can get by without learning fluent English for a while.

Well, here's what happened when my grandparents came to the U.S. First, they waited in line like civilized people, taught their kids to have respect for other people and property, talked about how lucky and appreciative they are to be in America (and to be American) that actually offers opportunities, and what a great country she is, had 4 kids in a 15year span ( not 1 kid per year for 10yrs!), If you're poor, why would you have so many kids?, unless you live on a farm. Be Responsible!. Lastly, they never spoke to their kids in their native language, they said, "learn english"! Oh yeah, ask any older person if they know what grafitti is? When I asked my grandma, she had no idea.. And a lot of these illegals who work, send their money back to their native country instead of stimulating the U.S economy. Some of the towns in Mexico, solely depend on these funds sent from the U.S.

It's ridiculous how illegals come here, make money only to send it back, while bringing their third world culture/mentality here.. In the U.S, our system is based on the rule of law, that's our culture. In third world countries these laws don't apply or, there rarely enforced.

Lastly, guess what's the number one SS# illegals use every year??? 000-00-0000 yep, it's a joke. Even if they pay some taxes, they still deduct all their kids as dependents...

I have no problem with immigrants, as long as they wait their turn, become legal, respect our laws, and be responsible!

Quote:
Remember the majority of the Mexicans that come here are working class and poor. So you might not see a sophisticated Mexican place for a while, until they finally get established or something.
This comment is really idiotic!!! What do you consider "sophisticated"?? Debating what gossip magazine is accurate, or what reality show is mentally stimulating?? I know far more classier lower payed (or working class) people than well-to-do people..

Last edited by ncc; 08-27-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 01:43 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
The OP asked "what is happening to Elgin?" And at some point he said: "This is a suburb, not an inner city slum!"

Well, Elgin really isn't a suburb. It, along with Joliet, Aurora, and Waukegan have been significant, yet small industrial cities for a long time. They didn't begining as suburbs they one would think. They manufactured a variety of products. Elgin was known for its watches, and I believe the headquarters for a watch company might still be there.

But anyways, all places that start as industrial towns are often doomed for some amount of "deterioration" since they were never "pretty" places to begin with. Homes were small, working class frame houses, etc. and as soon as the early northern European descended people saved enough money to buy a bigger house on a sprawling lot with less crowded schools, thats what they did. Consequently the people who moved next were working class and poor of another group.

The reason why Elgins published demographics may not reflect what you see in downtown Elgin, is because you have a higher percentage of white people on the edge or outskirts of Elgin. Close to the Randall Rd. corridor.

One thing I don't understand - if a church already exists that was built by a previous ethnic group, why would you build a whole new one. As much as sounds impressive and noble to build a church from scratch, why would you expect them and put them down or not building a new one?

I agree on immigration reform no doubt. But I have questions about some of the posters. I also think that people are underestimating how much the Irish and Italians were hated and discriminated against, and how much they in many ways paralleled Hispanics today.

First off, many of the people who immigrate here from Mexico are of the lower incomes, generally Mestizos and some indigenous, as opposed the pure Spanish descended people who still control the wealth and power. In the same way Italians primarily came from Sicily/southern Italy (the poorer part of Italy then as now).

Likewise both brought in a criminal element that was involved with the trafficking of illegal substances (it was bootlegging back then). Today, we look at the early botlegging Italian mafia of Al Capone and Jonnio Torrio and it seems so long ago, that we can't help but to say "well, it was different back then. There were also youth gangs among the Italians and Irish, with bar room brawls and drinking.

In fact, a lot evidence suggests that prohibition was started as a nativist backlash against the Irish and Italians, etc. from the white protestants who saw their lifestyle as low class.
Italians and Irish were not also not integrated soon after they came. In fact there are some near suburbs that generations later still are dominated by Italians (Elmwood Park) and Irish (Evergreen Park). Many of the early immigrants sold hot dogs on Maxwell Street not too different than Hispanics selling tacos.

Who ever mentioned the law of 1924 was right. There basically were no immigration laws before then. Anyone could come. Of course in the 1800s, the U.S. was a wide open and could easily accomodate people.

I agree with immigration reform. But its important to truly understand history, and not see it through "rose colored glasses"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs