Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

[Off Topic] I am surprised someone mentioned Netherlands public signs being in many languages. This is not unusual as it is a very small country of many different peoples due to centuries of wars and invasions starting circa 300 AD when Julius Caesar invaded. I think the primary languages are Dutch, Flemish, Spanish, French, German, Italian and English. Tiny Switzerland is much the same. It is not uncommon to meet bilingual individuals in either country.

America is not the same. It is true that in the early 17th century in New Amsterdam many languages were common. It equally true when the Royal Navy sailed up the Hudson and claimed land as far as the eye could see for the Crown, that changed. English was the language of the land as evidenced by Deeds and Wills signed in Dutch and registered in the courts under English names - that were not always correctly translated - which is how my ancestor became Theophilus and not Kristoffer. By the time the American Revolution was won and Constitution of the United States drafted, English was the language of the land. Nothing has changed. It is still the language of the land.

In the 20th Century Latin, Spanish and German were optional foreign language classes in high school. My parents and I each took one or more of those foreign language classes. No foreign language was a requirement to graduate from high school. When learning a second language becomes a requirement for graduation from any school in America, then all native born, English speaking, Americans have a reason to worry.

In the meantime, businesses, newspapers, and schools have the right to publish public notices in any number of languages they deem fit to conduct public meetings or private commerce. The idea we should follow Netherlands example and print every notice in 8 languages is ridiculous. For one thing, most of rural America has one language: English.
[/End Off Topic]

Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Umm I haven't seen any proof. I rode through, and I saw nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe your sense of ordinary is different, but I find a minority living near me nothing spectacular or unusual. Nor is it undesirable.

From the stats I looked up, for a city with 106,000 residents, Elgin is not that bad. I guess living in the south burbs all this time, I have a different standard in listing a town as bad.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM

216 posts, read 645,811 times
Elgin has had a long history of diversity. In 1900 46% were German speakers. Many of the old churchs and private schools had thier roots back then. They brewed more beer and had more saloons than the Irish. Drove some of the English and "drys" crazy.

As you go through Elgin I cannot think of one neighborhood that's all one group or another. The U-46 school district has families that have a different home language than English from 40+ cultures. As I go around my block there are Cubans, Mexicans, Laotians, Vietnamese, Chinese, Blacks, Whites...and at least three families with assorted adopted kids.

When discussing "Hispanics" it is wise to realize that this is not a single homo-genus group. Everybody knows that...but sometimes forget. Cubans, Mexicans, Texans, Peruvians, Puerto Ricans...anyway, just saying.

Noise: Elgin has a pretty strongly enforced automobile BOOM BOX law. Heck my dumb a** 20 year kid got stopped on this one...and it cost him plenty. So yeah, you hear them from time to time....but they do get stopped sooner or later. Occasionally there is a late night weekend party that gets a little loud. But it's just as likely to come from my White single neighbor as my Mexican neighbors. And really, by 9:30 or 10 the bottle breaking is over.

Some here object to the noise in our two large parks. One of the problems here is that the city rents out the pavilions to religious groups...And in they roll with a PA system and celebrate their Godlyness at 747 volumes. But again, the shouters on these goofy things are not all one group or another.

I'll admit it. The Spanish only sign the original poster talked about does bother me a little. But I don't take it as sign Elgin is becoming or is 3rd world. Rather, a very dumb idea of an administrator .....or janitor ....at the school.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
From the stats I looked up, for a city with 106,000 residents, Elgin is not that bad. I guess living in the south burbs all this time, I have a different standard in listing a town as bad.

Haha, remember I live in the south burbs too. It isn't that bad there, just like it isn't that bad in Elgin. I checked myself.

Points to you for being honest, starting this awesome thread, and of course sticking up for S Chicagoland (in most cases!)

Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Haha, remember I live in the south burbs too. It isn't that bad there, just like it isn't that bad in Elgin. I checked myself.

Points to you for being honest, starting this awesome thread, and of course sticking up for S Chicagoland (in most cases!)
I didn't start this thread, but thanks for the comments.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
In the 20th Century Latin, Spanish and German were optional foreign language classes in high school. My parents and I each took one or more of those foreign language classes. No foreign language was a requirement to graduate from high school. When learning a second language becomes a requirement for graduation from any school in America, then all native born, English speaking, Americans have a reason to worry.
Since we are a Global economy, knowing additional languages is very helpful. I think it's ridiculous that foreign language is NOT a requirement. It should not be limited to Spanish, heck Mandarin right now would be the best 2nd language to know. I know Europe has to have multi-language skills. Just seems to me that schools in Germany and many W. European countries do a better overall job of educating their children than we do in the US. Part of that is the requirement, in Germany, to take 2 foreign languages for several years-beginning in grade school. Why are we waiting so long to teach foreign languages when the best time to teach them is when a child is young? And teaching foreign language is not abdicating English as the official language. It is similar to music IMO, in that it helps the brain work better in many other subject areas. It also teaches some respect towards other cultures.
As far as the signs, it's probably meant to be inclusive. My point is if you are aiming to be inclusive, why not include other languages. Makes the other minority groups feel welcomed and included and tones down the prejudice about signs in Spanish. I find it sorta discriminatory to do them in just Spanish. Either do English only or do multiple languages.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,871 times
I try to be tolerant but the most disturbing trend is jobs. A friend went to Sams Club, WallMart and K-Mart and was turned down a job because SHE DIDN'T SPEAK SPANISH !!!! Only Hispanics can get jobs now. Next time you go to one of those stores..... look around. America has been invaded by illegals. and we lost. I have a Chinese friend who legally came to this country and is very proud. She asked a Hispanic friend if she planned on getting legal immigration and was told "I dont want to have to pay taxes.... and my children and I get free education and health care... why should I?" a sad trend.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:12 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a concerned citizen View Post
I try to be tolerant but the most disturbing trend is jobs. A friend went to Sams Club, WallMart and K-Mart and was turned down a job because SHE DIDN'T SPEAK SPANISH !!!! Only Hispanics can get jobs now. Next time you go to one of those stores..... look around. America has been invaded by illegals. and we lost. I have a Chinese friend who legally came to this country and is very proud. She asked a Hispanic friend if she planned on getting legal immigration and was told "I dont want to have to pay taxes.... and my children and I get free education and health care... why should I?" a sad trend.
if they are better at the job, then they should get the job. you're complaining that you had to know spanish, then learn spanish. they had to learn english. quit blaming people for taking jobs, if someone didn't get a job, thats their fault.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:44 PM

216 posts, read 645,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Prairie Rock is long gone. And good riddance.
This place has reopened as Roadhouse Elgin under new management.

Article here:

Boom boom pow :: The Courier News :: Local News (http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/news/1936474,3_1_EL13_07FIGHTS_S1-091213.article - broken link)

Old 12-14-2009, 09:09 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Elgin has always officially been part of the state of Illinois, which is a part of the United States of America, considered a third world county by nobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs