Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:21 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,709,162 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Off Topic

Okay, back to the OP. I think your friends would be fine anwhere on the NS. A better question, would be how comfortable they would be in the communities where their children might be the only black kids in the school. If thats a concern, I would recommend Highland Park and Evanston.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-31-2009 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
If you can afford to maintain your home and don't park your cars on the lawn or play loud music that the neighbors can hear, you will be accepted on the North Shore. The same goes for just about any nice suburb in any metro area.

As far as that "old money/new money" talk, there are really only a few enclaves and social clubs on the North Shore that have that upper tier social status, and I really don't think anyone posting here has penetrated into that level of society. Don't forget that a lot of the housing in Wilmette and Highland Park is smaller houses like ranches and split-levels. The "old money/new money" talk sounds pretty ridiculous in that context.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:18 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,760,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Don't forget that a lot of the housing in Wilmette and Highland Park is smaller houses like ranches and split-levels. The "old money/new money" talk sounds pretty ridiculous in that context.
I agree.

In essence, only Kenilworth is able to capture that full "North Shore atmosphere" due to its small size and even its western most portions safely within that prized lakefront zone.

Evanston, Highland Park, and Wilmette all have western areas that don't feel North Shore; to a degree, there are even parts of Winnetka, Glencoe, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff that don't feel it as well.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
^ Well of course the options are far less great here than N.Y.C., but at least Manny's opens at 5am even though it closes at 8pm. Ashkenaz Jewish Style Deli is open from 7am to 7pm M-Sat. Ada's Famous Deli is open from 6am-11pm everyday. There are far more Jews in NY than there are in Chicago so it should not be a surprise to you of the differences. ^

Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 AM

69 posts, read 230,388 times
Default Wow

Really in a word WOW. I just wanted to get a sense of which areas might be less welcoming to my friend. I didn't mean to ignite a race war!!! I guess my opening post was a bit of a Rorschach test: you see in it what you want.

I appreciate all the recommendations though. Sounds like Highland Park would be the best bet. I'll let him know.

If anyone knows areas that he should stay away from that would be helpful too. And hey if there are none I'm sure he'd like that too. :-)

Thx
SK

Old 08-31-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ Well of course the options are far less great here than N.Y.C., but at least Manny's opens at 5am even though it closes at 8pm. Ashkenaz Jewish Style Deli is open from 7am to 7pm M-Sat. Ada's Famous Deli is open from 6am-11pm everyday. There are far more Jews in NY than there are in Chicago so it should not be a surprise to you of the differences. ^
the issue probably is less about how New York compares to Chicago than how New York 1950 compares with New York 2009 and how Chicago 1950 compares to Chicago 2009.

And in both places, 2009 loses. It's a different world. Jews don't gain population in either city; they lose. The ethnic roots that gave us corned beef and bagels with lox blends back into history as the story of American Jews as a defined group does the same.

Good corned beef and bagels, even in a place like New York, strongly survives because they become part of the culture of the city. You hardly need Italians today to make pizza part of our culture or Mexicans to make tacos as such.

Thus even the best of the NY delis will eventually die out (or are dying out) and what will survive will be more of a generic, disneyfied version of those dishes from eastern Europe, as easily available in any major city as in New York, and not needing or having Jews connected with producing them.

Look at Chicago today. A good portion of our Jewish delis are run by Greeks (which is great...many Greeks have mastered the art of a good restaurant), but never would have happened in an era when a place like Ashkenaz was on Morse Avenue in the heart of Rogers Park rather than on the Gold Coast.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
The reason it matters is because if "whites" live in neighborhoods that don't have "diversity" then they get attacked from all sides as racist.

So what's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

The usual yardstick goes something like this... "12% of the population is black, so why are only 4% of NFL coaches black... whe gotta fix that!"

Granted that's not a neighborhood, but it illustrates the game.

So by the same reasoning, since Jewish folks are only about 2% of the U.S. population, then clearly, any place with more than 2% Jewish representation is clearly lopsided and we need to fix that. Can't have an ethno-racist groups out there, now can we? LOL!

Essentially the question at the heart of it is, "If 'minorities' can have their enclaves, why not the rest of us?"

It's almost if there's a big sign out there that reads, "Gots Blacks" (or whatever other minority happens to be claiming oppressed status at the moment).

There can be no doubt that a de facto quota of this sort is invariably used against whites when a group wants to break into a traditionally white activity.

So turnabout is fair play, right?

But see, that's where we get to the real nuts and bolts of it. The "oppressed" groups are basically wanting to break into, and then take over what white groups have built, or so it seems.

Now I know, this is the part where you scream "whites in America built everything on everyone else's backs and hence all whites have gotten ahead at everyone else's expense... reparations time!"

To which I say BS. Ask any poor white, exactly how much they got out of the afforementioned. Most of them will tell you the problem is there's race based affirmative action for minorities, yet they (the poor whites) have all the same issues confronting them.

So until that is addressed, you are, at the very least always going to have economic based racism among poor whites.

Sure rich whites (and these days it would seem rich jewish folks) built on other's backs... including whites. Ever heard the term "indentured servant"... or how about "at will employment"?

Welcome to the dirtly little secret of capitalism. It's based on cheap labor.

See: NAFTA, GATT. LOL!

Sounds to me like this "choice of place to worship" is just an excuse. Besides, if god is omnipresent, who needs a place to worship... the entire universe is his.

Which is why all this BS about "The Holy Land" is a crock. If said god exists... the guess what? The whole *universe* is his, and thus it's all holy, right???
So find a place where we disagree? Certainly not on Israel. Certainly not that blacks should be able to live where they want (and that they have been denied that throughout US history...this is hardly a matzoh ball that you pt on Jewish door steps for blame).

Jews, like all Americans, can live where they want. If they choose Highland Park, they are not answerable to anyone. Neither are the Jews, many in number, who would chose an environment 180° removed from Highland Park's. As noted, many Jews will live in Jewish neighborhoods for access and choice of temples, for their children to be with other Jewish children and other Jews in general in hopes they will carry on the Jewish tradition that might be lost to them if they don't), and, yes, fears of antisemitism still motive the choice of a place to live.

So who on earth is being hurt by those choices? Nobody I can see. I've lived in Highland Park. Twice in my life. And if I lived there now and a black family lived to my left and another to my right, I wouldn't give their skin color a second thought. As I hope they wouldn't mine.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 AM

211 posts, read 527,252 times
I'm glad you recognize the situation, Geo.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM

211 posts, read 527,252 times
As for the OP, my dear sir (or maddam), times have changed. It's all about your social-economic status now, especially among the nefarious White People™. Race is so yesterday!

Move where your heart and interests dictate, and you'll be fine.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,526,511 times
I believe "skontoller's" original basic question "wondering if there were any areas of the North Shore that were not particularly friendly to African Americans" has been answered.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-31-2009 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs