Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,162 times

Advertisements

i am planning to move in the next few months and was hoping for some info regarding areas that are a high flood risk. im am looking in skokie, morton grove, niles, glenview, wilmette. any specific info or areas in glenview that are prone?

any help is appreciated
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 07:38 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
you should be able to check for the flood plains in whatever area you are interested in.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Check the fema maps - fema.gov I think. Anywhere along the desplaines river is suspect.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
While it is true that the Desplaines is prone to seasonally running over its banks, there has been good cooperation between the various agencies to take MOST of the flood prone properties into the parks / forest preserves. Very few areas with any homes are routinely at risk.

It is also important to realize that in the towns the OP listed the system of reservoirs know as the "Skokie Lagoons" were / are part of large stormwater management system. This is mostly pretty effective, but there are still pockets of those towns that are at greater than average risk of seasonal storm water issues -- typically the tip off may be the lack of basements in homes. Of course the reality too is that with modern sewers separating stormwater from waste this risk of that type of flooding is much diminished. With adequate backflow protection, reliable sump pumps and proper grading the INDIVIDUAL home can be made to withstand any sort of storm event that would occur in our region, this ain't the hurricane belt...

Old 08-28-2009, 08:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Well said but................ I know it doesn't happen every year, but after last September's deluge I remember reading stories about flooding in some sections of Skokie. I remember reading about flooding near Lutheran General. Today in the neighborhood section of the Tribune was an article about flooding in Des Plaines 3 miles west of the river. But how do you find out if the specific neighborhood is prone to flooding besides talking to potential neighbors? Many of the homes that flood are due to storm sewers backing up, not because of a nearby stream or river over flowing its banks.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Localized storm sewers that backup / get clogged with ice/snow/leaves/mud are impossible to avoid. That said, if the HOUSE you are looking at has proper grading and appropriate storm water management strategies these things should keep it dry no matter what happens in the street.

I have owned homes on streets that you could float a canoe down after a terrible storm and everything inside was dry. It is all about the foundation of the home and the maintenance of the individual elements that prevent storm water from effecting it, from clean, leaf-free gutters to elevation changes that keep water flowing away from the structure to watertight exterior siding / brick /sill blocks.

I understand your concern but you have to voice this sort of things to the home inspection service when you narrow down to a single home...

Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Chet, I disagree. There are still neighborhoods where the infra-structure needs to be improved:
Here is the Des Plaines story. Homeowners turn up the water pressure on Des Plaines -- chicagotribune.com
If you would like, I can try to dig for the Skokie story. I do believe these areas are the exception instead of the norm, but it is Buyer Beware.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:15 AM

I am not sure we are disagreeing... the article makes it pretty clear what the problems are:

Quote:
they've received word that the portion of their homeowners insurance that covers sewer and drain backup will be canceled next month.

"It became apparent that what was causing each of these claims was not being remedied," Rinock said.

That, he said, will help residents in raised-ranch-style homes with below-grade garages and family rooms that often flood.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I believe the Illinois flows into the Des Plaines. I seems when the IL floods the area from Alton to Chicago is affected. I don't know about the Des Plaines and around Chicago, but downstate the IL has been high for months due to the tri-weekly ground soaking rainfalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs