Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:10 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times

Advertisements

This may seem like an odd post.. but please bear with me!

As someone who is very allergic to tobacco -- the plant and the cigarettes -- I am very unable to be around any cigarette smoke. Even 30 minutes can mean weeks, if not months, of infections and misery.

While there are issues in California, tolerance of my allergy has not been an issue. Many of my friends smoke, but they accept that I can not be around the smoke, and do not pressure me to be around them or say things like "quit being a wimp" when I tell them I can not go into a smoker's house, car, etc.

Unfortunately, I had a different experience entirely in Minnesota, and as a result, it was nearly impossible to meet people. It seemed non-smokers were expected to accept being around smoke there, and if you didn't, you were often excluded.

What is it like in Chicago? I know the smoking ban is on the way next year... but will I get the rolling of eyes and snide comments if, for example, I tell people I can't go to their house because they smoke? (even if they aren't smoking while I'm present, the smoke in the house is more than enough to cause the reaction). I know many will say there's all kinds of people everywhere... but my experience is, some places, this reaction comes from as much as a quarter of the population, while in other places, it's virtually unheard of.

Thank you for your help and understanding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 AM

109 posts, read 261,875 times
Man-up, wimp.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Shockingly, incredibly enough, the state of Illinois has finally managed to do something right. Illinois will be smoke free in January!!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Shockingly, incredibly enough, the state of Illinois has finally managed to do something right. Illinois will be smoke free in January!!!!
Boo!! No taxation without representation.

I'll wipe my ass with the $100-250 fine, Civil Disobedience.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleer View Post
Boo!! No taxation without representation.

I'll wipe my ass with the $100-250 fine, Civil Disobedience.
You must have found a lot of inspiration in Hitler, trying to poision thousands of people with toxic gases.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:26 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times
The entire state of IL will be smoke-free in 2008? Not just individual cities but everywhere?
Great news! Currently I live in Virginia where tobacco is king. It sucks going into restaurants. Glad we're moving to a state that values people's health.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
You must have found a lot of inspiration in Hitler, trying to poision thousands of people with toxic gases.
Well you non-smokers are poisoning the blood lines of us pure, originally created citizens.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Currently in Chicago I know there is a smoking ban already in place where people may not smoke in any public place or within 15 feet of it's entrance. I also know that Orland Park combated this topic as well by also going smoke free in Jan. 07 of which has caused the village to take much grief from restaurant owners and bar owners, but people believe it or not are adapting and it is becoming accepted by most to not be able to smoke anywhere but in your car or home just as Californian smokers found out years ago when that whole state went smoke free.

Basically don't worry about people's attitudes about people who don't like smokers or being around smoke. To be honest from what I have seen, most people here don't smoke and those of us who don't, don't really want to be around it either. I read somewhere that Chicago is currently has about 25% of the population who smokes, so that means that about 75% of us don't and I think as it becomes less convienent for people to light up, those numbers will only go down further.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Currently in Chicago I know there is a smoking ban already in place where people may not smoke in any public place or within 15 feet of it's entrance.
This is patently false.

Chicago had originally given bars until next summer to go non-smoking, but because Illinois passed the state wide law that goes into effect Jan. 1, Chicago will have to abide by that new law. it is Illinois that created the 15 feet law, which seems to me impossible to uphold in the city. 15 feet might well be the middle of the street

Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
This is patently false.

Chicago had originally given bars until next summer to go non-smoking, but because Illinois passed the state wide law that goes into effect Jan. 1, Chicago will have to abide by that new law. it is Illinois that created the 15 feet law, which seems to me impossible to uphold in the city. 15 feet might well be the middle of the street
Whether people choose to obide by the rules or not is not my problem it is the city's, but plain and simple the rules state, NO SMOKING WITHIN 15 feet of a public entrance. Smoke-Free Chicago: Join the growing number of Chicagoans who choose health. (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs