Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 PM

24 posts, read 41,634 times

Advertisements

I have read about the different TV offerings here, but I can't find much on Internet providers. I have researched ATT (Uverse) and Comcast (via Xfinity). Are there any other options for Internet? Which company do others prefer? Comcast has a pretty bad reputation for service. Is it deserved?

I should mentioned that I work from home and I do sometimes download or upload big files. I need a small amount of web space and a handful of e-mail addresses for the hubby and kids.

Please share your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
AT&T, Comcast, and dial-up are your options.

I get really good download speeds with Comcast. Only issues I've had is when an idiot neighbor starting digging and cut the cable.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
We get WOW in Elgin. They are pretty good, I also work from home and upload files.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Knitgirl, what's WOW? Fiber optic? Cable? Satellite?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM

35 posts, read 109,414 times
Comcast is very fast but also expensive. It is also really reliable. I think the internet's been down twice in my five years in Hoffman Estates. Cable modem requires a reboot less than once a month. I actually want to hate them because they are so overpriced, but begrudgingly have to admit their service is really good. I quit their cable service last year for OTA + streaming, which of course made me all the more dependent on their fast speeds. I can easily stream different HD quality videos on separate TVs and monitors simultaneously.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
WOW is cable. I have a bundle.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 AM

53 posts, read 99,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysa View Post
Knitgirl, what's WOW? Fiber optic? Cable? Satellite?
Cable.

Chrysa, Knitgirl....you both mentioned that you work from home.
My wife is also interested in finding some work from home position but everything posted online looks like a spam.
Any input of how to find one is appreciated.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 AM

I'm a freelance editor. I have been doing this for 12 years on my own after many years of working for others on site. I know many publication pros who freelance: indexers, desktoppers, book sellers, editors, researchers, writers, and the like. She should review her background, education, and interest and see if there is a fit, then seek out a professional group to join and network with.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Just thought I would followup, in case anyone else is looking for similar assistance. I contacted both Comcast and ATT before the move. Comcast seemed to be the better deal, but they made multiple mistakes in setting up my account, which took many tries to fix. When I arrived in my new house yesterday, the setup kit was there. I spent >4 hours on the phone with customer service and tech support and never got service. They finally agreed to send a technician for free, but it would be weeks before they could fit me in!!!! Called ATT this morning, spent 10 minutes setting up the service, and a tech will come out (for free because they felt bad for me with my experience with CC) tomorrow. I am keeping my fingers crossed that ATT will be fine. So far, Comcast has lived up to its very poor reputation.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 PM

116 posts, read 212,633 times
That's a shame about your experience w/Comcast. We had just the opposite experience. We recently moved from IL to a place that doesn't have Comcast, and I miss it terribly. Time Warner is horrible and doesn't get nearly as many channels as we were used to getting from Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs