Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Have you ever heard the traffic reports for the Jane Addams (aka, I-90, aka the tollway formerly known as the Northwest)? It's usually bumper to bumper, stop and go (more often stop) from Elgin down to the Kennedy.
I get a report from my wife who drives it nearly every working day. There was some construction on it recently with lane splits, but that's all done now. Now it doesn't back up until you get to the tollway by the airport. The exception is if there's a concert or other major event at Allstate Arena, but it's almost always worse inbound than outbound, and he'd be outbound in the evening when an event would cause a backup. Most of the time he should have smooth sailing all the way to EGV and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 17,462 times
Thank you all for the suggestions--it's been helpful for us to get some better insight into this. I think we plan to take CubsSoxFan advice and spend a couple days at a hotel out that way "testing" the commute before we commit to anything, and then possibly look further into some of the suburbs you recommended.

Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakenfold View Post
Ah, yes the wisdom of unchecked immigration. More pollution too, for those of us into the green movement.
What does "unchecked immigration have to do with it? Read your Chicago history: the population shift from the city to the suburbs has been going on for over 140 years-it's part of Chicago's history from early on. Immigration has been a big part of our growth and success also. Now if you want to debate zoning issues, the +'s/-'s of the automobile, sprawl vs. smart growth those are platforms for honest/accurate debates.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Ah yes, the wisdom of not building the Elgin-O'Hare out to Elgin or to O'Hare and the wisdom of not building the Fox Valley Expressway.
Why is Illinois so averse to building road capacity to match the population trends?
I am in agreement with you on this- quite frustrating, especially in some of the faster growing areas. As far as the OP, I would agree that living closer (e.g. Elmhurst, Wood Dale, Arlington Heights) would be more realistic as far as commuting.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What does "unchecked immigration have to do with it?
It has nothing to do with anything except trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs