Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:06 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times

Advertisements

Anybody read the story about a revived expressway between I-65 and I-57?
Illiana Expressway: Proposed interstate tollway would link Illinois, Indiana -- chicagotribune.com
This highway was proposed at least 2 previous times(that I know of).
1) Farther north in Indiana through more populated areas.
2) As an extension of I-355 that swings southeast to I-57 and than continues as part of Illiana Expressway shown as Peotone option.
What are your thoughts?
I would like to see them build it and connect with I-355 or connect with I-80 near the I-355 & I-80 junction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Doesn't 294 and 80/94 basically do the job already?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:38 PM

81 posts, read 119,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah finally. That is if they have FINALLY finished the construction that seemed like it was going on since 1989.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 PM

223 posts, read 757,465 times
Forget about the Illiana, finish the "Elgin-O'hare" Expressway that doesn't go to neither Elgin or O'hare

Old 10-05-2009, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
FOUR truck lanes?!?!?! Weird but ok.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:01 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
Forget about the Illiana, finish the "Elgin-O'hare" Expressway that doesn't go to neither Elgin or O'hare
Or spend the money on an urban public transit infrastructure in the region's largest city that's in desperate need of repair, updating and expansion (i.e. Chicago)? For once, can we spend serious transportation dollars on something other than highways that encourage more suburban sprawl? Sheesh.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Not really. All north south traffic using I-65 gets funneled on the Borman 80/94 and the article pointed out that this road has a history of quickly exceeding it's maximum traffic capacity. This is due to all the national east-west traffic, especially truck traffic. With all the railroad container & distribution business that Will county does, they are hoping to extend the Illiana all the way to I-55 to take the traffic pressure off I-80

Quote:
vandre Forget about the Illiana, finish the "Elgin-O'hare" Expressway that doesn't go to neither Elgin or O'hare
I completely agree with the Elgin-O'Hare and western O'Hare bypass IN ADDITION to the Illiana (provided the Illiana links to or near I-355). I also say build the rte 53 northern extension and the western extension of this going through McHenry Co linking to Rte 12 expressway at the Wisconsin border. I also favor the Prairie Parkway and really question the opposition. Didn't they learn from the failed Fox Valley expressway? I-57 also needs 3 lanes from I-80 to at least Sauk Trail and I-80 needs to be 3 lanes from west of IL-43 to west of I-55. On the bright side, I-88 and 294 are almost completed-now lets hope they don't tale the extra lane away for some stupidly schemed HOV lane.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Or spend the money on an urban public transit infrastructure in the region's largest city that's in desperate need of repair, updating and expansion (i.e. Chicago)? For once, can we spend serious transportation dollars on something other than highways that encourage more suburban sprawl? Sheesh.
I agree with the urban public transit spending needs IN ADDITION to the highway needs. A Circle line, CTA or Metra directly between O'Hare and Midway, CTA out to Schaumburg and the Metra Star line are all good ideas. But let's not turn this into a Suburb vs. City debate or auto vs. public transit debate.Your welcome to start another thread or revive the ones I've seen regarding that

Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
So are the "truck lanes" going to be separated from the rest of the highway? if so, then the ATA is starting to get their way.

and who would have thought there would actually be a proposal for a completely new expressway these days. let's fix the infrastructure we have for transit AND HIGHWAYS (go walk down Van Buren one of these days and take a look at the ol' Circle Interchange... that rebar sticking out is really pretty!) FIRST before cutting through land for a new highway which will just wind up increasing sprawl and congestion.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
So are the "truck lanes" going to be separated from the rest of the highway? if so, then the ATA is starting to get their way.

and who would have thought there would actually be a proposal for a completely new expressway these days. let's fix the infrastructure we have for transit AND HIGHWAYS (go walk down Van Buren one of these days and take a look at the ol' Circle Interchange... that rebar sticking out is really pretty!) FIRST before cutting through land for a new highway which will just wind up increasing sprawl and congestion.
The problem is if you wait too long, the development happens anyway and the highway becomes much more expensive to build because land costs go up and people who build newer homes in the path of the highway have to be compensated. If they agree on the highway alignment, they can buy the land in the right of way NOW. This highway, and the others I mentioned, address existing traffic problems. Ever try to get north in Lake Co. during rush hour using 83/Gilmer Rd/Rand Rd? How about traffic on I-94/80 during rush hour-wouldn't it make sense to alleviate it by having a bypass for those going to I-65? Ever try to drive Barrington to Plainfield on IL-59 during rush hour? They were supposed to build an expressway near 59 to alleviate traffic. IDOT waited too long, area got too built up and it was cancelled. How about the 355 example through DuPage: IL53 was a traffic nightmare, yet some residents did not want 355 built. After it was built, the % of those who viewed it favorably skyroketed. Why? Because it eliminated a traffic chokepoint and took heavy traffic off of 53 making the drive much easier for local users. Sorry, the overall lack of infrastructure that keeps pace with development (it doesn't) ticks me off. And the argument that it causes sprawl makes me laugh. Zoning laws cause sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs