U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,089 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be moving to chicago area next year - and I want to live somewhere between hoffman estates (work) and warrenville (big climbing gym). What would be the best area to look into? In terms of best - I mean the safest area, with easy commute, maybe close to metro... etc...

Thanks for your help!
Elaine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 05:03 PM

4,676 posts, read 4,799,532 times
Bartlett, Carol Stream, Glendale Heights, and Bloomingdale.

You should look in an area that is east of 59, west of I-355, south of 20 (Lake Street), and north of 64 (North Avenue).

Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM

28,460 posts, read 81,548,098 times
I really would NOT recommend trying to live someplace BETWEEN Hoffman Estates and Warrenville if your interest in one is recreational and the other is for employment.

My recommendation would be live NEAR the recreational site and try to get to the rock facilty in AM or on way home.

Illinois Rock Climbing Walls and Gyms

If you lived BETWEEN the two you would spend A LOT MORE TIME back tracking!

The Metrarail service will NOT BE USEFUL to get to either location. Chicago regional rail transit is pretty much setup with downtown Chicago as the "hub" that all towns funnel into -- very difficult to get from one 'spoke' to another.

Warrenville itself is VERY SAFE, a not terribly long commute to Hoffman Estate (around an hour) and a decent town. Nearby area would be the southern reaches of Winfield & Wheaton, the eastern edge of Batavia, the northern edge of Naperville and the extreme eastern edge of Aurora that is generally considered "western Naperville" as it shared some school districts.

Believe me it will be FAR EASIER and faster to drive from ANY of the those towns to Hoffman Estate via the tollways that to BACKTRACK through terribly laid out surface streets that kinda/sorta/not really tie together north western DuPage with exterme western Cook Co. Really awful lack of good alternate roads...

Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 74,974,367 times
If you like Warrenville because it has the Lifetime Fitness with the rock climbing wall, then look into Bloomingdale instead, they also have one, and the city is a lot closer to Hoffman Estates.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 PM

5,653 posts, read 18,711,644 times
I think Schaumburg or hoffman estates has a Lifetime also, On golf road maybe I am thinking? I know I have driven past it.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 PM

28,460 posts, read 81,548,098 times
Folks it ain't a Lifetime. It is some specialized rock wall place: Indoor Rock Climbing Facility

It is practically in Naperville, as the border is right on Diehl Rd, but it is nice and close to the tollway so it is fast drive to most other areas too.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:51 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,258,089 times
I would look for something closer to work, maybe along 355. access to the naperville/warrenville area is pretty quick on the tollways!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 74,974,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Folks it ain't a Lifetime. It is some specialized rock wall place: Indoor Rock Climbing Facility

It is practically in Naperville, as the border is right on Diehl Rd, but it is nice and close to the tollway so it is fast drive to most other areas too.
Where the heck is that? Im right in that area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs