Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM

19 posts, read 46,422 times

Advertisements

One of my good friends got a promotion that requires a move to Chicago. He took it and has been excited about his move to a "real city" at the beginning of the year. I tried to explain to him that his Oak Brook office is pretty far from the city center, right? Maybe not quite an exurb, but not easily commutable using public transport?

He has to drive for work. He's 31, single, semi-hipster, rent range for one bedroom probably $1200-1600/month. Are there any places to live that allow easy access to central Chicago via public transit while also being an easy commute to Oak Brook? Neighborhoods that are maybe somewhat interesting themselves, fairly walkable, etc?

He's going up there to look in a couple weeks, and, if I don't help him, he's going to end up just renting a place in Oak Brook and then complaining about it via email for the length of his lease.

Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
31 year old guy in Oak Brook could have a nice life of hunting "cougars with cubs" but if he is not into divorced moms he would be better off in Chicago or Oak Park. The drive from Oak Park to Oak Brook is under 30 minutes in all but the most ferocious traffic and if he gets bored with Oak Parkers an El ride into Chicago is tolerable.

Oak Brook has a lot of hotels and while suppose a 31 year single guy could conceivably hang out looking for business travelers that seems very "lounge lizardy" and not what I would imagine a "semi-hipster" is looking for as a "real city" experience.

I have known many people (generally younger than 31) that have driven all the way from Chicago to a job in the Oak Brook area, but for most the drive gets old fast...

Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM

249 posts, read 685,061 times
Oak Park/Forest Park/Berwyn would be a fine place to live, being midway between Oak Brook and the city.

I'd say there might be a bit more of a "hipster" element in Berwyn--it is marketing itself partially to that population and there are sprouts of activity such as a new theater company that show this population may be taking hold. Depending on what kind of music you're into, FitzGerald's Nightclub is a great music venue.

Oak Park would generally be more expensive and is really more of a family-based community. Few nightlife options for hipsters, but most of the area's shopping is here (chains, record stores, bookstores, etc).

Forest Park tries hard to cultivate its "Urban Suburban" feel, but really offers little beyond the Madison Street strip, aka "Where Oak Park Goes to Drink."

Regarding public transportation, it's fine to use for travel to downtown/North Side during "regular" hours. ... But I wouldn't want to ride a bus or Green Line/Blue Line train through the West Side of the city to Oak Park at say, midnight, after a night in a bar/club seeing a band. High crime neighborhoods + High crime hour + Reduced Awareness after a few drinks = Big chance for trouble. If you're riding the train into the city in the early evening, plan to catch a cab back home. If you aren't drinking, then it's much easier to just drive into the city from OP/FP/Berwyn, though parking is an increasing challenge in most nightlife areas in the city.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
I think Oak Park is an obvious first place to look. A rental in that price range should be available. As mentioned, the Green Line or Blue Line get dicey at night, but cab rides are affordable, especially considering how much you would be spending anyways on a night out downtown. If you go downtown, have about 8 drinks somewhere and then take a cab home to Oak Park, you are probably spending 3-4 times as much on drinks as you are on the cab ride home.

If he really does not want to commute far, the downtown area of Elmhurst is nearby, and at least offers regular METRA access to downtown. Like other suburban downtown, it is largely a hangout for high schoolers. If he is okay with a somewhat longer drive, he can look into some of the NW side neighborhoods, but won't get as much space for his $$. The apartment he will get in, say Bucktown, for around $1400 would not be that large. All in all, I would suggest Oak Park first.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,009 times
Default West Loop/United Center/Bucktown/Wicker/Ukranian Village

I really think he has to try to find a city place. Oak Park has a good number of young people, but there are certain 'hoods in the city that would add to his commute but make his weekends waaaaay more fun.

The West Loop/United Center, Wicker, Bucktown and UK Village have easy access to 290 which would be helpful for an Oak Brook commute. There are so many condos for rent in this area I bet there are pretty good deals out there too. Definitely avoid Lakeview, Lincoln Park and other northside 'hoods as that would add a ton of time to the commute.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
Oakbrook Terrace! Smaller lots, the tallest building in the 'burbs and professional theater!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Oakbrook Terrace! Smaller lots, the tallest building in the 'burbs and professional theater!
Really?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The majority of the "theatre goers" at Dury Lane are on buses from their retirement communities, and while the lots might be smaller than in Oak Brook those are still very much "family fun" sized lots which are great for practicing soccer with middle schoolers but not compact enough to make the area conducive to walking anywhere. I have no idea why anyone would think a tall office tower would make a place more livable ...

Old 12-07-2009, 08:20 PM

198 posts, read 821,983 times
There are a few very nice apartment complexes in the Oak Brook area (most in surrounding suburbs) but make no mistake by the large office towers, you are living in surburbia. And yes I know a number of the "cougars with cubs" that Chet mentioned but perhaps your friend wouldn't mind having a girlfriend with a million dollar home. But seriously, does your friend want the city life, suburbia or somewhere in between? If he's more comfortable in a suburban setting, have him live close to work. If he wants somewhere in between, Forest Park and Oak Park blend into one another across Harlem Ave and are the 1/2 way to the Loop mark from Oak Brook. Many Medical Students from Loyola, UofI and Rush take up residence on Oak Park because it is as close as you can get to a city neighborhood in the burbs with access to the city via the L (Forest Park also has access). Note the other poster's warning about the L at night but also note that anywhere at night in or near the city you have to be smart and alert. Rents are more reasonable than the trendy parts of the city in Oak Park, you will be able to buy in a few years because prices for condos are sooo much more reasonable than the trendy parts of the city and if he looks for condos for rent that can't sell right now you will get perks like in unit laundry and maybe parking for your budget and perhaps even a utility or two paid for since assessments which would still be the owner's bill sometimes include heat and water in the older vintage buildings (this would pay for a nice weekend on the town). If your friend really craves the city life, the West Loop/Little Italy/Greektown/UIC areas would be the closest hip places to look and maybe even Bucktown but I wouldn't go too much further in (no Lincoln Park) because the commute will be too much, especially if he has to check into the office and go right back out on the road to see clients. I have a cousin in the West Loop that commutes to a west suburban hospital everyday and one of my childrens' teachers commutes to Oak Brook everyday from the city. They both say they love where they work and love where they live despite the hour (sometimes more) commute each way. Your friend will have to find that right fit based on his needs and lifestyle.

Last edited by OakBrookMom; 12-07-2009 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-24-2016, 10:32 PM

341 posts, read 412,113 times
Right now I live in Orland Park, IL butmay be getting a job in Oak brook Terrace. It is about ½ commute Oak brook Terrace has one sky scraper and mostly offices. I knowthat Oak brook Terrace shares a zip code with Villa Park.

I am 37/m/single. Looking for astudio/efficiency about ½ drive or less from Oak brook Terrace. Anyideas? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs