Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:12 PM

17 posts, read 55,455 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Villa Park. It seems to be an affordable little village nestled between Elmhurst and Lombard. Any input would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 04:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Depending on what is important to you there are some good deals in Villa Park. Some of the solid brick ranches sell for a fraction of what they do in Elmhurst, and there are some charming older homes too.

Schools are not as highly rated as Elmhurst, and maybe a step or two lower than Lombard, but that is something that may not be as important to you. Pretty nice lay out of town, good use of the Prairie Path from most parts of town, decent rail service, not too terrible a mix of rentals. I sold some single family rental properties at good profit, easy for people to like.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Chet pretty much nailed it. Its a semi-decent town thats not as attractive as its Elmhurst neighbor, but its not the worst place either.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,064 times
My in-laws are long-time residents, and I think the assessment so far is pretty accurate. The area north of St. Charles Avenue is a little less desirable, as housing prices have been stagnant for a long time. This has kept it affordable, but the housing stock is small and dated and the area has definitely seen more nuisance activity and nonviolent crime.

A frequent knock on Villa Park is its lack of a decent downtown core and the unregulated, unattractive mishmash that defines its main arteries (North Avenue and St. Charles Avenue). Still, as you mention, this has kept Villa Park decidedly more affordable than Elmhurst and the location of VP is great in terms of access to downtown, the airport, and the expressways.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 186,559 times
If you want relatively easy access to downtown Chicago via train or expressways in a safe, bedroom community, Villa Park is it. Add deep lots, plenty of varied, attractive, and affordable homes, mature trees, a public golf course, and two bike paths, plus Pace buses, you can't beat it for the price in the Chicago metro area. If you envy the Elmhurst library no problem - your library card is good there and in Lombard as well as at the little Villa Park library. It's only about two miles from the huge new hospital going up near Roosevelt Road, and there are walk-in clinics, and nearby urgent care centers if that's of interest. And if you need to, you can walk nearly anywhere you need to go, including the bus. Really a convenient little place to live.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Part of my extended family has lived in Villa Park for two decades and they recently moved to Elgin because they felt Villa Park was slowly "going to the dogs" in terms of crime and community. They are Italian and Polish (a lot of Villa Park is) and many of their friends packed bags and moved away too. There is definitely some prejudice built into their decision to move (unfortunately) but I've spent quite a bit of time in VP and I can say that there are definitely areas that seem to be a little more sketchy as the years went by.

Just an observation that is perpendicular to what has been discussed in the thread thus far, so I thought it may be useful to hear a different perspective.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 AM

Default What the???

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
.. recently moved to Elgin because they felt Villa Park was slowly "going to the dogs" in terms of crime and community...
So that moved to some place that is already GONE ?

I mean, I suppose if you say that they wanted a bigger house that was currently cheaper or something I might see the logic, but I sincerely doubt that anyone who has studied the situation would come to the conclusion that Elgin has lower crime / more tightly knit community than Villa Park...

Folks with a strong desire to have more traditional European ethnic neighbors might find that in some area, but Elgin is not one.

Parts of Villa Park have had some of that, and it might be fading, but for the most part it is not be replaced by those from significantly lower economic achievement.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Villa park is the way it has always been, doesn't seem to change much. Definitely more affordable.

along north ave. maybe more Latinos. Regarding Brandywine development - is the crime still really bad there? Years ago, friends who lived in there were getting robbed constantly. 3x in one year.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
So that moved to some place that is already GONE ?

I mean, I suppose if you say that they wanted a bigger house that was currently cheaper or something I might see the logic, but I sincerely doubt that anyone who has studied the situation would come to the conclusion that Elgin has lower crime / more tightly knit community than Villa Park...

Folks with a strong desire to have more traditional European ethnic neighbors might find that in some area, but Elgin is not one.

Parts of Villa Park have had some of that, and it might be fading, but for the most part it is not be replaced by those from significantly lower economic achievement.
They wanted to move somewhere with a large yard as well, but as I'm sure you know Elgin is HUGE and there are a variety of different areas, some of which have crime and others are completely crime free. They don't live in Old Elgin, and where they lived in Villa Park (between North and St. Charles) things were starting to turn a little and they decided to bolt. Don't ask me why.....they seem to love to be close to their friends and now they are anything but.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 AM

I don't doubt that your folks moved, I am just pointing out that in the "big picture" the downsides of moving for the reasons suggested don't hold water. The section of VP between North Ave and St. Charles Rd is certainly not the roughest part of DuPage Co by a long shot, and even the nicest safest part of Elgin is not all that great. I can completely understand the desires of some folks to get a larger chunk of property, and I am fairly sure that the availability of a big lot is still much greater in the Elgin area than in Villa Park, however there are lots of places where you can get a big parcel of land and have much less concerns about eroding prices for about the same costs as Elgin. If schools are not an issue basically there are options throughout the region.

Again, not meaning to pick on any one, just to sort of make clear that Villa Park compares favorably, on the whole, to other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs