Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 PM

607 posts, read 1,334,053 times

Advertisements

There is some great information in this thread. It's a nice change to see positive posts about our area instead of the dismal crud that is usually posted about the south suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,175 times
Definitely agree with Flossmoor, Homewood.

If you like, take a look around Glenwood. One of my personal faves is Mokena, but that's kinda far out for you.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,144 times
Oh, I love Mokena. Also has two metra stations.
I was going to mention Crestwood, but the scandal with the tainted water put the kabosh on that.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Blue Island has some really cool architecture. It would be nice to see it turned around. St. Francis (Metro) Hosp. seems to be on another downward spiral-shame, great hospital.
Also some great restaurants-the Maple Tree Inn is a classic.
Not far from the South side Irish St. Pat's shindig and some of the prettiest bars around on Western Ave.
Eisenhower High School is actually a newer bldg. and has the potential to be a very good school-I know several of the teachers there (my daughter included) and they try hard to lift the standards of the school.
I've heard rumors that kids are requesting to transfer IN to DDE from other schools in the district due to better environemnt and academics - but this is pretty anecdotal. Anyway, I'll take any good news!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:15 AM

Hands down the safest and most reasonable suburbs are Flossmoor and Homewood, excellent access to public transportation, safe, a little pricey in some areas (of course in Flossmoor) but worth every penny.

I enjoy living in the area. I hope you make a wise transition.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:06 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
Yeah...Homewood and Flossmoor have some of the most unsafe neighboring towns in Illinois. This includes Harvey. FYI.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Yeah...Homewood and Flossmoor have some of the most unsafe neighboring towns in Illinois. This includes Harvey. FYI.
There is really something wrong....

I'm so tired of your nonsensical bashing of every south side area! Please go elsewhere with the BS! I live here, right along with the other 20 or 30k others, and I don't plan on moving, selling, whatever the hell you propose doing to make it "so much better." Oh my goodness, this is one reason I sometimes dread even talking about where I live!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
And yet they are consistently recommended by southsiders as good towns to live in. They must be doing something right.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
It's just the facts, places like Ford Heights, Chicago Heights, and Harvey are the absolute pitts. These are the neighbors of Homewood and Flossmoor. What do you choose to live in a bubble? Because you will have to if you don't expect to come across low lives. And since HF, whose school has been going down hill steadily for the past 10 years, shares its student body with hell holes like Chicago Heights you better believe those Homewood kids will be hanging out with Chicago Heights' finest. That's something I would never want for my kids.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The neighborhood's elementary school, Emerson, just turned in a solid performance on the '09 ISAT (and outscored 5 of Oak Park's 8 elementary schools in terms of "meets or exceeds").
You always bring this up, but you are sort of ignoring the fact that many of Oak Park's elementary schools really aren't all that great. If you compare the entire district, Oak Park schools come out on top by a good margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs