Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,404 times

Advertisements

I would say that Lombard doesn't suck if you like general suburban style towns. They have Yorktown Square, which has a lot of restaurant and shopping options, and just down the road is Downers Grove, which has a great downtown. The area is generally affluent and safe.

As far as your treatment as a Muslim, I would just say that you probably won't see any difference accross DuPage County (possible exception being Wheaton). The "haters" as you say it will be there, but just realize that they are a small minority. Most people in affluent suburbs seem not to care too much about race, religion, etc. Out there, it seems that if act decently, don't do anything outrageous, or of poor class, you will be accepted no matter who you are.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:34 PM

275 posts, read 836,286 times
I think lombard is a pretty good place to live for a muslim, especially if you're already planning on sending your kids to the private schools (I don't know much about CPSA, but you should also check out Islamic Foundation which is very close by).

There are a ton of perks about living there like plenty of halal restaurants, proximity to the Villa Park mosque, etc. Most people are just fine, but there are always a few morons who will pop up from time to time. The Villa Park mosque has been vandalized multiple times. My family home has also had minor acts of vandalism (egging our house, cutting up our trampoline, knocking over trash cans) aimed at it a few times in the last 3 years that my family has lived there. But honestly, that happened in the other two places we lived in previously. I don't think you can really escape that regardless of where you live when you don't look like the other people in your neighborhood (even if you're NOT Muslim).

Old 12-11-2009, 10:13 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,404 times
One of our other posters has just pointed out to me that I may have unfairly characterized Wheaton in my last post. I would edit the post, but I don't see a button to do so. I had received some information from second hand sources that may not have been correct, and I apologize for miss-characterizing Wheaton based on information that I did not verify. I retract that portion of the post, but stand by the rest of it.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Sorry, your whole post was utterly perplexing and didn't make much sense, especially as it related to wearing a 'priest outfit', which is in no way analogous to a Muslim woman wearing a scarf
I was relating it to the fact that when people see a stereotypical form of dress (in this case a Catholic wearing a priest outfit and a Muslim wearing a head scarf), theyre more likely to get upset if theyre predjudice.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:31 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,388 times
There isn't anywhere in DuPage County that is a bad place to live. A few spots might look a little worn, or have more minorities, but crime is a non issue and schools are good to great throughout DuPage. Amazingly, after three pages of posts, no one has yet mentioned that there is a Mosque in Villa Park, which is a neighboring town to Lombard.

The Islamic Foundation of Villa Park - Serving the needs of Muslims in Chicago's West Suburbs

Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahz33 View Post
My family and I are contemplating moving to the Chicago area from Philadelphia, 19119.

We are Muslim (all haters, don't waste your time replying) and would like to eventually send our children to an Islamic school in LOMBARD. How is Lombard?? Are there lots of Muslims there b/c of the school? Also is it split up in to west side, east side, etc.? How is it there...diverse or stuffy??? Diversity is important....well, because we are "different".

Lastly, I would love to know about the best areas around Lombard (in case Lombard stinks) within 20-25 mile radius. I will be working there as a registered nurse. I don't mind commuting a little bit to and from work and school and want to make sure I don't mess up this move.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE TO EVERYONE.
p.s. to the administrator...thank you for the comprehensive list of chicago info, it is awesome and very helpful....but I didn't find too much that is of interest to a Muslim family that wants to move to Lombard or close. =)
Are you Arab? If so, then Arab Muslims are mainly concentrated in the near Southwest suburban towns of Bridgeview, Chicago Ridge, Oak Lawn, Burbanks etc. I don't think Lombard has a sizable Muslim or Arab population.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 PM

275 posts, read 836,286 times
yeah, the last poster is correct about arabs not being in lombard. the VP mosque is mostly desi. the mosque foundation in bridgeview is mostly arab (they also have 2 islamic schls). neither are exclusive though, so you can go to either one regardless of ethnicity.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:34 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Amazingly, after three pages of posts, no one has yet mentioned that there is a Mosque in Villa Park, which is a neighboring town to Lombard.
It has been mentioned, although just in passing, two posts above yours.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:04 PM

103 posts, read 159,549 times
To the original poster: It has been 3 months since this thread was last active. Have you moved and settled in to Lombard? What are your thoughts?

I may be relocating from hickville, Illinois to Wheaton for a new job, and am also muslim. I do not imagine Wheaton could be more intolerant than where I currently live, but I just wanted to get a pulse of what others thought of Wheaton in this respect.

Truthfully, I find it hard to believe that Wheaton is all that scary (per Billy Graham/Wheaton College stories) considering the constantly growing and diversifying demographics in all of the West Suburbs. Is there really a "magic line" between Wheaton and surrounding suburbs (which have plenty of Muslims) in terms of "feeling" of welcomeness?

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone. However, my new position would involve a fair amount of visibility in the community (to get clientele) and I will want to participate and be a part of the community, so it is important to me to feel welcomed. Of course, I realize Wheaton second to none in so many categories which is why I am serious about considering this move! Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:09 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Muslims seem to be spread all over the area. Which is kind of surprising, there aren't that many mosques. If you want to send your kids to a Muslim school, I think you need to be in the western suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs