Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:19 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times

Advertisements

Good honest advice from LK.

I will add that Park City is decidedly down market, dominated by a manufactured housing (mobile home) development. It feeds into the Gurnee schools, which are a pretty big step down from Libertyville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frickable View Post
So waukegan road though is good? which I found a short sale prolly gone now but hesitated as I do not know if waukegan rd right outside base is good...sounds like it is.

Would love lake bluff but very exspensive. My husband is telling me the detailer has a rental in waukegan and for some reason I do not want to go there either! It sounds gross. haha...

So someone mentioned not going there is it icky? is it rough do the schools suck?

I am currently in Moore oklahoma... no ofense but I hate it! I hate oklahoma too! hate it with a passion of ten thousand burning suns and I do not want to be stuck in another oklahoma.

I am determined to have a great life in Chicago .... So you are really helping. thank you for responding!

I can handle republican land... okay I like libertyville.... not the far west closer to base...

What is the info on park city? is park city icky schools and crappy streets with shady peeps?

and what is the news with gurnee? are they not so good too?
you talk wierd.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:29 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,312 times
gurnee has good schools.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:54 PM

5 posts, read 24,795 times
that is useful information thanks. Is it wise to buy if I am only staying for 3 years? or should I rent?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM

Default Everything is relative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
gurnee has good schools.

In Illinois we have very weak assessments at the elementary level, which makes it very difficult to use the data to determine which schools are "good". It is pretty easy to spot the bad schools, as I already pointed out the schools that serve the on-base housing look to have some real problems.

I do think that the TREND DATA can also be used to determine which schools are likely doing a BETTER job. I have no problem using the data that track the progress (or lack of progress) when comparing the mastery of the tests over time.

It would be hard to argue that a District like Kenliworth #38 is exemplerary -- basically the whole school demolishes the test. There might be some concern that the 8th graders slipped a little in math, but a review of similar high performing districts like Butler #53 and Winnetka #36 show nearly identical movement; the likely explanation is the test got a tiny bit tougher.

Interactive Illinois Report Card

Now when we compare the same trend data for the Libertyville and Gurnee schools it would be hard to say that either school is "bad", but the pattern suggests that Libertville did perform more like the top rated districts and Gurnee is a step down. The percentage of students in Gurnee that "exceeds standards" is not as great and the trend of some poor performance in reading is less than ideal -- since this test is so basic the hope would be that LARGE percentage of students blow it away AND any students lagging in 5th grade would get the help needed to at least 'meet standards' by 8th grade. I don't put all the faith in the world in every aspect of the Illinois State assessments, but I do believe they do reveal some things about some of the performance problems that the schools need to do a better job addressing:

BTW I focused on Gurnee Grade #56 because I believe that serves Park City, but I will also post Woodland #50 -- story there is a bit more concerning, as they have "failed to make adequate progress" in addressing overall number of students below standards, still some people prefer Woodland to Gurnee Grade, I suspect this is one of those quirks of demographics -- although newer houses makes that area look more affluent the true percentages of low income students agrees with historic trends of performance:

Old 12-11-2009, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 24,795 times
wow, you are like a professor or something.

(bulldawg1594) u said I talk wierd? Like how? Also isn't more like typing wierd instead of talking? prolly why i need my kid to go to a good school duh. kinda kidding... but who knows. I am a blonde. .. or oklahoma is eating my brain cells.

okay no park city, possibly no gurnee, libertyville, lake bluff, lake forest and green oaks are my best bet.

NOW...

Rent or Buy?

only there for 3 years.

....opinions?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frickable View Post
wow, you are like a professor or something.

(bulldawg1594) u said I talk wierd? Like how? Also isn't more like typing wierd instead of talking? prolly why i need my kid to go to a good school duh. kinda kidding... but who knows. I am a blonde. .. or oklahoma is eating my brain cells.

okay no park city, possibly no gurnee, libertyville, lake bluff, lake forest and green oaks are my best bet.

NOW...

Rent or Buy?

only there for 3 years.

....opinions?
Three years only? Rent.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:18 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In Illinois we have very weak assessments at the elementary level, which makes it very difficult to use the data to determine which schools are "good". It is pretty easy to spot the bad schools, as I already pointed out the schools that serve the on-base housing look to have some real problems.

I do think that the TREND DATA can also be used to determine which schools are likely doing a BETTER job. I have no problem using the data that track the progress (or lack of progress) when comparing the mastery of the tests over time.

It would be hard to argue that a District like Kenliworth #38 is exemplerary -- basically the whole school demolishes the test. There might be some concern that the 8th graders slipped a little in math, but a review of similar high performing districts like Butler #53 and Winnetka #36 show nearly identical movement; the likely explanation is the test got a tiny bit tougher.

Now when we compare the same trend data for the Libertyville and Gurnee schools it would be hard to say that either school is "bad", but the pattern suggests that Libertville did perform more like the top rated districts and Gurnee is a step down. The percentage of students in Gurnee that "exceeds standards" is not as great and the trend of some poor performance in reading is less than ideal -- since this test is so basic the hope would be that LARGE percentage of students blow it away AND any students lagging in 5th grade would get the help needed to at least 'meet standards' by 8th grade. I don't put all the faith in the world in every aspect of the Illinois State assessments, but I do believe they do reveal some things about some of the performance problems that the schools need to do a better job addressing:

BTW I focused on Gurnee Grade #56 because I believe that serves Park City, but I will also post Woodland #50 -- story there is a bit more concerning, as they have "failed to make adequate progress" in addressing overall number of students below standards, still some people prefer Woodland to Gurnee Grade, I suspect this is one of those quirks of demographics -- although newer houses makes that area look more affluent the true percentages of low income students agrees with historic trends of performance:

Chet, this is what happens when your making judgements with half information and a soap box. Park City feeds into Woodland. The reason Woodland isn't making adequate progress is based on the progress of minority students mostly coming from Park City. Woodland meets and exceeds in all other areas. Gurnee 56 has funding issues. Residents in Gurnee 56 will not pass a tax increase to adequately fund their school and programs have suffered.

Woodland boundaries are located in the affluent western areas of Gurnee & eastern Grayslake with the exception of some gerrymandering that made one particular area east of Gurnee to be included in the district, the Park City mobile home community, which makes up at 10-15% of the student population, mostly hispanic. 85% of the district has students coming fairly affluent families.

Gurnee 56 is made up of the eastern, older, portions of Gurnee and Western Waukegan. Eastern Gurnee is not very desirable as well as Western Waukegan.

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 12-12-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-12-2009, 01:34 PM

I appreciate the clarification, though it does not seem that clarification changes the core argument -- neither of the elementary districts that serve Gurnee are as desirable as the schools in Libertyville.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I appreciate the clarification, though it does not seem that clarification changes the core argument -- neither of the elementary districts that serve Gurnee are as desirable as the schools in Libertyville.

Well Chet, as I'm sure you know, $350k in Libertyville will get you 1970's split level ranch, maybe 1600 sq feet if your lucky, in back of car dealer row off Milwaukee ave. Yes, besides the crowded/busy downtown business district ---- Libertyville is as spread out as Gurnee.

$350K in Gurnee will get you into a very nice colonial, very modern with a ton of amentities, probably 2200 sq ft. plus. You'll be in a nice upscale neighborhood, maybe in Concorde Oaks or backing Bittersweet golf course.

So, while I personally have never heard anyone brag about Libertyville schools.......If its that important to live in a smaller inferior home to attend a Libertyville school--- have at it. Woodland is a fine school district though. I attended the Deerfield school system and my son is smarter than me....lol

Also, if schools were a deal breaker (which it shouldn't), I would take a nicer home in Gurnee and pay for Carmel High School or other private schools with the money you'll save with a newer Gurnee home that won't be a money pit of repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs