Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,654 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from out of state to a west suburb because of a new job near I-88 in the vicinity of Lisle/Downers Grove. One of us will be taking 2 to 3 trips per month to one of the airports for a while.

We want safe schools for two early gradeschoolers and also want a neighborhood that does not have in-your-face conservatism. We are moderate to liberal politically and are likely to have signs for democrats and independents in our yard as elections approach. We'd like to be on good terms with neighbors who might have the same or different leanings (preferably a few more with the same leanings, but nearly equal concentration in either direction is fine). We'd like to avoid extremely conservative neighborhoods.

We can afford a home up to about $400,000 and need 4 bedrooms, so some areas/developments are far out of our price range (some of Naperville, most of Wheaton & Glen Ellyn?). We like to bike as a family. Any advice on specific neighborhoods/developments within about 20 minutes of I-88 or I-355 are welcome. We'd prefer to be west of I-355 or not too far east of it because we have family in the Oswego/southern Aurora area. We don't know much about Lisle, Downer's Grove, Woodridge, Bolingbrook, or Warrenville. We have some information on Naperville and know the downtown and schools are great, but could use more information on any neighborhoods that might be in our price range close enough to I-88. Any observations or ideas are welcome.

Last edited by Movingfamily4; 05-18-2007 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Misspelled "Neighborhoods" in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 11:13 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,611 times
For about two years, my family and I lived in Bolingbrook, in a subdivision called Twin Creeks, just off 83rd St and about 2 miles west of I-355. The subdivison was in the Downers Grove school district, and the elementary school (Sibley) and junior high (Jefferson) were excellent. Bolingbrook is a racially diverse community, altho still mostly white, and Twin Creeks was like the United Nations: my husband is Filipino, our next-door neighbor was from Africa, our daughter babysat for an African-American neighbor, two other neighbors were from India, our son's best friend was Thai-American, etc. As for politics, well, we're politically liberal and I don't recall any problems in that regard.

There is a very nice park with bike and walking trails at the east end of the subdivision. Our yard had a creek running thru it. Prices were very reasonable at the time we bought. I've been looking at real estate online in that area, and prices are still more reasonable and affordable than Naperville or other areas.

Plenty of shopping: Ikea, supermarkets, all the usual suburban stores. It's kinda far from I-88, though. About 30 minutes, I think. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 14,650 times
Moderator cut: post in classifieds or send a PM, please

If you want to know more about Minooka, let me know. I can tell you plenty.

Oh, BTW Wheaton, Glen Elyn, Naperville are Republican central.

Boilingbrook and Warrenville = too much crime IMHO

Woodridge - lower rent - some parts good - other parts shady - older homes

Downer's Grove - Pricey!

Aurora - Too Overpriced for the location IMHO - plus, too close to the crime even if your neighborhood is nice - guess where the nearby criminals are coming to?

Last edited by Marka; 05-22-2007 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-30-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,654 times
Default Thanks for the information

Thanks for the feedback. We'll look into the Twin Creeks neighborhood in Bolingbrook. Naperville and its neighbors are still in the running. Near downtown Naperville might have been our favorite spot--surprise, surprise--except for premium prices there.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:22 PM

774 posts, read 2,497,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingfamily4 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We'll look into the Twin Creeks neighborhood in Bolingbrook. Naperville and its neighbors are still in the running. Near downtown Naperville might have been our favorite spot--surprise, surprise--except for premium prices there.
DuPage County is generally a Republican area, but I would say it leans more toward the libertarian side (fiscally conservative and socially moderate/progressive) as opposed to the pure conservative side. This used to be considered one of the most Republican areas in the entire country, but like Orange County outside of LA, Westchester County outside of NYC, and a lot of other suburban areas that are close to genuinely liberal cities, DuPage has moderated considerably in terms of politics over the last decade. The area still supports a lot of Republicans, but it's based more on affluence and tax matters - you won't see much fervor at all regarding the hot-button social issues such as abortion or gay marriage. Most of the hard-core conservatism has moved toward the exurban areas that ring the collar counties.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:28 PM

8 posts, read 22,486 times
My family is moving to the Chicago area from Southern Illinois and our situation is almost identical to yours (need a four bedroom house, same budget, similar politics, etc.), and we are looking in the same areas. However, I suggest consulting GreatSchools.net with regard to schools; as I recall, Bolingbrook schools do not have very good ratings (thus we are leaning more towards Naperville and Downers Grove). However, depending on where Twin Creeks is located, it may be in a different school system. Anyway, I am so glad you asked this question, and I look forward to what the others have to say.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 17,084 times
Movingfamily4

I doubt you still check the boards, but in the event that you do, I would love to hear how your move played out. We are in similar situation, (though I am not as concerned about the politics of my neighbors either way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs