U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
efb efb started this thread

90 posts, read 243,106 times

Advertisements

So....talk to me about the western end of Lake Avenue (sort of out near the Middle and Jr. High Schools_..... I know Lake is a busy road, but it is an undesireable part of town? Are there many families with children? It is impossible to get to downtown Wilmette quickly due to the traffic on Lake?

Our budget does not stretch to the pricier houses in town, and the houses nearer to the train station (like McKenzie Square area) seem to all be older houses that require structural work or new kitchens and baths!

I am not talking about as far west as that little triangle between Skokie Road and I-94 -- I couldn't live that near an expressway....

I am looking for the good, bad and ugly of that area - preferably from those who live in the area. I am not obsessed with re-sale value, but it does need to be considered. We prefer Wilmette due to schools and park/rec programs.

Am just trying to see where the least desirable parts of town are. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:04 PM

342 posts, read 1,169,422 times
there are no none desirable parts of town. everyone there is rich.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:55 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,000,653 times
Someone's gotta have some better insight into the OP's question than this response. I'm a bit curious as to the feedback as well. One thing's for sure, the real estate in Wilmette is generally a lot more affordable in the western part of town compared to the real estate east of Green Bay Road and closer to the lake. Also, the population in western Wilmette seems to be a bit more ethnically diverse (think Glenview, Skokie, etc.) than the east side as well. Any other posters have some quality feedback for the OP? Perhaps something from a structural point of view with the housing stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
there are no none desirable parts of town. everyone there is rich.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:00 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,899,778 times
Despite the claims of some, there is a wide range of incomes in the overall New Trier attendance area. Portions of Wilmette have demographics that are pretty similar to towns like Skokie or Niles. Depending on what you are looking for the trade-off that goes with living in that area may be fine -- some of the folks that live there drive to jobs in northern Lake Co. or even further and they don't need to be close to the commuter station.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:16 PM

Thanks to those of you (chet everett and reppin_the_847) who are attempting to actually help me! I appreciate it. We have seen a house that is very nice and what we are looking for in a house along the western end of Lake Ave. We have a child for whom we would love to have some kind of good quality of life as regards friends, places to go play etc. Obviously Lake Ave is very busy, but just how busy? Is it peak travel times, or ALL the time?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:28 PM

313 posts, read 553,841 times
It's very busy at peak travel times with constant but not overwhelming traffic most of the rest of the day. It's the major road to get to/from the highway for people in Wilmette.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:05 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,564,849 times
Lake ave in general in terms of housing stock is a solid street. Older homes that have been well upkept. Make no mistake, a good deal of old homes need work, and if they don't the sticker price will reflect this. Generally speaking homes east of Green Bay road tend to be more expensive. The area you are looking at tends to be much more middle income-upper middle income. A good deal of families mixed in with middle aged empty nesters and elderly retirees. I have a good friend that lives in that area(21st and chestnut) and it is charming.

Plenty of parks, baseball diamonds and all that... pretty much with in a half mile radius of that area. Its the type of place where a kid can ride his bike to get anywhere, though I guess times have changed, some parents wrap their kids up in bubble wrap before they send them out the door.

Lake is a busy street. It is the main east-west road in wilmette. Only glenview/wilmette comes slightly close in traffic burden. Add to the fact that Lake feeds into i94 and well I'm sure you can guess the results. Add to the fact that the metro station falls along green bay (a good deal of them do) and you got the bottle neck to the east. Lake functions as an east west link between these two bottle necks (as do many adjacent neighborhoods)

It can get bad enough to the point(typically if there is construction or bad weather) where people who live on lake street have to force themselves out of their drive ways because obnoxious jags do not want to give up space on the road. And yes once in a while you get a fender bender. Personally I'm not a fan of main traffic drags but you do what you gotta do. I should add, ive seen much worse in other communities.

As far as ugly, you do not really get ugly in Wilmette, very often. Its a really pleasant place to live.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Thank you LakeShoreSoxGo, and others, this is all very helpful! I appreciate the detailed info.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 PM

128 posts, read 255,853 times
The area you are looking at is nice, with good people and great schools, parks etc. I do not know the specific demographics, it is certainly not the "fancy" part of town, but there really is no bad part of Wilmette.
I can tell you though, from personal experience that Lake Ave. is generally a real pain. I live further west than you are looking, though, on the Glenview side. I do not live directly on Lake, but off of it thankfully. Living on Lake would not be my first choice by any means. During rush hour times or even after school, i have waited ten minutes to make a left turn off of my street. I consider this the worst feature of my neighborhood. Everything else is great. Sometimes I make a right and have turn turn around somewhere to head west on Lake street. To each their own, but I would much prefer to live closer to the highway, than right on Lake Ave. You will see traffic and hear more noise than you would from the highway, unless the houses are on Frontage or directly by the Edens. I don't live that close, but when it is very late at night or quiet I can hear the noise from the highway. My broker wanted to show me houses on Lake that looked nice, but I said no.
Anyways, hope that helps. Good luck, Wilmette is a great place to live!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:28 AM

Thanks.. this is just the info we are looking for. I had some concerns about living on Lake Ave....so am glad to know that my concerns were valid ones. this will weigh into the decision factor for sure. Being farther from the train wouldn't be an issue if it were a matter of a 5 minute car ride to drop someone off.....if that turns into a half hour, then that is a "whole 'nother" thing!

I won't cross it off the list just yet (as it is a nice house) but the traffic factor might tip the scale the other way should we find an alternative in a different location.

Thanks again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>