Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:02 PM

9 posts, read 31,468 times

Advertisements

10 years ago when I lived in the Chicagoland area I worked for a custom home builder in South Barrington when a lot of the "McMansions" were being built in that area right off Rt.59. I remeber working on one house specifically, it was a 5600 sq. ft home with all kinds of nice amenities and the selling price was I believe $900k. While we were working one day the owner of the home showed up at the house to see how everything was progressing and pulled up in a brand new black BMW 740. He had the gold Rolex and was dressed as if he had just left the local country club which he probably did. Anyways, he was there about 15 minutes, checked everything out and then left. Once he was gone I remember asking one of the owners of the company about this guy and the kind of income he made in order to afford such a huge house, the car and all the other nice things he seemed to have to. The answer I received was "about $200k a year" to which I was just amazed! A few seconds went by and I was told by my boss "we have about five more guys just like him, they'll struggle to make the payments for the first few years and will pay for all the other luxuries on credit and hope they start making a lot more money by year 3, otherwise they will foreclose."

I worked for this company for two years and that seemed to be the typcial buyer of the "McMansions" in S. Barrington, mid to upper 30's who thought they were making it, wives or girlfriends did not work and also drove some kind of luxury car on a lease. Many ended up foreclosing I am sure.

To this day, it's still my impression of what Barrington is like. The houses are very nice though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Yeah,,thats just what ALLLLL the people in 90 sq miles of Barrington,Lake Barrington,Barrington Hills ,South Barrington and Barrington Village are like You really know how to judge an area ,froma house you were working on 10 years ago,,thanks for sharing

Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 31,468 times
No, I said South Barrington. Barrington Hills, and Barrington proper is all old money.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 PM

180 posts, read 378,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msn2310 View Post
No, I said South Barrington. Barrington Hills, and Barrington proper is all old money.
That's not true.

I'd venture to say 90% of ALL Barrington is new money.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,669 times
if im not mistaken wasnt the barrington area where all the booze runners had country estates

Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Wouldnt surprise me,lots of old money from lots of different venues here.Al Capone had a place on the Fox in Lake Barrington.Nice,big farm house type old speak easy used as a restaraunt for years with a tin ceiling that still had the bullet holes from a raid.At least this is how the restaraunt told it.A few years ago,it was demolished and townhomes built.Baby face Nelson was gunned down on rt 14 in front of what is now McDonalds.

Last edited by nanannie; 06-26-2007 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-01-2008, 09:18 AM

6 posts, read 36,814 times
There are actually 5 Barringtons (Barrington, Lake Barrington, South Barrington, North Barrington, and Barrington Hills). I have written an essay on the Barringtons as well as the the other affluent neighborhoods nearby such as Long Grove and Inverness. mod cut: link removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-01-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: promoting

Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,901 times
Wow. That was the most inaccurate, delusional post I've ever seen Steve-O. LOL. Did you visit once and come up with your myopic view of things? Or is it an inferiority complex? Chicago is home to me. After 30 years, I moved from Chicago to Arizona, along with everyone else, BECAUSE of the weather. I have now been here 13 years. Scottsdale is a much more beautiful city (and has more options) than Barrington. Are you kidding me?? And you don't include Scottsdale money because people moved there from somewhere else? Where do you think all the immigrants in Illinois are from? LOL And you have four seasons that must make the year round weather wonderful huh? LOL We have 8-9 months of nice weather and I golf, swim, my dog and kid play in the lawn (lawn in front and back of most newhouses now) and do outdoor activities in the summer in our offseason. What do you do in winter, drive a snowmobile for fun? Don't compare weather between Illinois and Arizona, trust me.... Also, there is a LOT of money in Arizona. Tucson, Phoenix (a LOT of money), Paradise Valley (even more money and called Paradise Valley for a reason..), Scottsdale ($$), and quite a bit of money in Gilbert too among other places. And have you ever heard of Fountain Hills?? If that is a critical point which apepars to be the case for you for some reason. It's September and nice weather now as I post this. Everyone is on bikes, hiking, still swimming in pools. And it's before October..And don't compare Illinois to Arizona for options to do things. Biking, camping, fishing, boating (lots o of lakes), hiking, White Mountains with pine trees, trout lakes, and the proximity to drive to Las Vegas, San Diego, nice parts of Mexico, Utah, the list goes on. Chicago is home so I have no bias but there is no comparison in terms of weather, things to do, places to see, schools are very good in most areas except the inner city areas which are no worse than Illinois, despite your blind statements. My kid's school in Gilbert ranks nationally, and we could never move away from here after being here. More people move to Gilbert Arizona than any city on the country. And these people have money . They are coming for a reason. You sound like my one brother who has an inferiority complex with Arizona.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
i was wondering ive heard alot of stories is there alot of racial issues out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs