Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:07 PM

59 posts, read 144,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Plainfield school district may cut 222 jobs - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/01/plainfield-school-district-202-jobs-cut.html - broken link)
Please note the positions that are being cut in Plainfield:

1) Reading Recovery
2) Gifted Programs
3) Summer School

Basically what this means is that Plainfield will be teaching to the average student for the next several years. If your child is a little behind...or a little ahead, they will not necessarily be being educated at their level. The "safety net" of support for students falling behind in the absolutely critical first years, reading recovery, or as that news article nebulously referred to it as "a program that helps 1st grade students struggling with reading," is the most critical cut here. What can a child learn if they're struggling with reading? Coupled with a lack of summer school, it will be very difficult for a child to catch up if they do fall behind.

I know that many districts are cutting positions, including the much vaunted 204 (who is letting go of ALL non-tenured teachers this year Indian Prairie School District :: News) so it is very difficult to accurately choose a school district that will have the budget and capability both now and 6-8 years from now to help your child. What I would do would be to stick to a district that has been recognized for excellence for many years, even if it means stretching your home-buying budget. As someone who works for a bank in Naperville, I can tell you that there are definitely bargains to be had within 203...but you'll need to partner with a real estate professional who has the experience to find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 AM

8 posts, read 11,656 times
I grew up in Plainfield and can tell you first hand that the school district is no where near what it used to be. Put two daughters through the system and it has gone downhill bigtime; they don't seem to care about the kids like they used to when the district was much smaller. :0(

Old 02-25-2010, 05:04 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,463,985 times
If you're not familiar with the area, keep "tornado alley" in mind and choose a home with a basement for peace of mind. Chances are, you'll never need it, but it's nice to have when you hear the sirens go off.

[I know this comment seems out of left field, but when I hear "Plainfield" and "safety" in the same sentence, it's the first thing I think of]

Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,280 times
The Town Of Plainfield Is Beautiful Because There Is A Low Crime Rate And A Beautiful And Historic Downtown Feature As Well As A Close Area To Purchase A Good Or Service From Route 59.

I Believe That Southern Plainfield Is The Area To Pick Since The Area Is More Peaceful And Northern Plainfield I Think There Is More Vehicle And More Train Which From Southern Plainfield There Is Not As Much Vehicle And Less Than A Dozen Train A Week From Northern Plainfield There Would Be More Than Four Dozen Train A Week.

So I Believe You Should Stick More Toward The Plainfield And Shorewood As Plainfield And Shorewood Are Beautiful Which Plainfield And Shorewood Resident Are Nice Which Those Are At Least The Several I Have Met.

I Wish You The Best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs