Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,982 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are young professionals looking to move to the suburbs and will be working primarily in Naperville and Plainfield. The homes in North Plainfield look affordable and nice, but we have heard mixed opinions on living in the area. We are hoping to find a quiet, friendly area that is safe for kids with minimal crime/gang activity in the schools. Does Northern Plainfield differ at all from Southern? Additionally we are willing to consider eastern Aurora and neighborhoods in District 204. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Im not ultra-familiar with Plainfield, but if the northern areas of town are what Ive seen that border Naperville, they look supremely clean and safe. And Id also be careful about eastern Aurora, as many areas are very high in crime/gangs. Im not sure about District 204 either. Sorry Im not the biggest help. LOL

Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM

169 posts, read 550,478 times
We live in the 204 section of Aurora and if it weren't for my husband's commute, we'd stay in 204 or 203 in Naperville. We do have some friends that live in Plainfield and they plan on moving further North b/c they feel so far from everything and the schools aren't that hot b/c Plainfield was built up so fast. I know that's a quick summary and generalizing, but if you want to PM me any questions about some of the 204 areas in Aurora/Naperville I'll share with you what I've gleaned over the past 3 years living here (we have a 1 year old and I'm part of a couple moms' groups).

Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 AM

116 posts, read 364,815 times
I have a friend whose family lives in a newer sub-division/neighborhood in plainfield...those streets are pretty much like the Movies, typical peaceful suburban neighborhoods...people walking their dogs, kids playing outside, neighbors are really friendly..etc..

Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,534 times
plainfield schools are ok. they are growing really fast though.
Interactive Illinois Report Card- plainfield central
Interactive Illinois Report Card - plainfield east(just opened)
Interactive Illinois Report Card- plainfield north
Interactive Illinois Report Card- plainfield south

the district 204 high schools are pretty big, but they are pretty good.
Interactive Illinois Report Card- neuqua valley
Interactive Illinois Report Card- waubonsie valley

the east aurora high schools is probably the worst high school in the area.
Interactive Illinois Report Card- east aurora

Old 01-04-2010, 06:26 PM

They actually just added a new high school to 204 this fall, it's called Matea Valley and right now I believe it's just Freshmen & Sophomores for this year.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,610 times
I was actually reading about this today it sounds like a nice place despite it not being far away I've never been

Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I think a couple of points are very much worth stressing --

#1 The portion of extreme east of edge of AURORA that is part of D204 is VASTLY different than the portion of Aurora served by East Aurora D131 -- night & day. The D204 portion is mostly newer homes that are inhabited by families very much the OP, while the D131 portion is old run down part of failed industrial legacy of Aurora's past that now serves underclass.

#2 Plainfield is a VERY large "boom town" that is served by at least FOUR high schools that are part of UNIT DISTRICT 202 which also includes move than TWENTY elementary or middle schools. Due to the BOOM the resources are stretched, and MANY schools are on Academic Watch / Academic Early Warning status. If you are aware of the implications of this for both immediatetax needs and longer term taxes / pressures this is VERY relavent for the success of the schools. Interactive Illinois Report Card

So far as I know Plainfield is MOSTLY a quiet town with low crime compared to more urbanized areas, but it does have a very different development pattern than more established town like Naperville and that may be a source of potential issuess down the road...

Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Hi. Maybe I can help since I live in North Plainfield. Let me just say that I am a city kid but have three small children all under 5. We built our home here in 2002. You asked about differences between North and South side of town. The town itself has about 40k residents but the land mass of the town is very large. It stretches from just to the south of 111th to the north all the way down to Theodore to the south, from Plainfield/Naper road to the east all the way to Stewart to the west(that is the Kendall County side)

North side is right next to Naperville and has higher home values and it hasn't had the foreclosure problem that has plagued subdvisions to the south. The zip code for the north side is 60585. Although that zip code does include Grande Park subdivision huge McMansion place in Kendall County, that place was hit hard by foreclosures, and it is Oswego School District 308....far away really from everything, beautifully designed place though. Crime is really not an issue anywhere in the village so you shouldn't worry about that. This town is perfect for growing families, little too perfect, it looks and feels very suburban. Manicured lawns, ponds, kids playing outside, ton of parks. One thing that Plainfield has that many people don't know is a really nice downtown, old school shops, good restaurants and bars, not over done.

In regards to schools from what I understand high school wise Plainfield North is the best performing(but that can be little deceiving since all the schools really have grown exponentially). Middle School that is in my subdivision just received a national academic honor. Now the best part of Plainfield if you are a parent is the fact that all the schools are new, big and within walking distance. I have a elementary, middle and high school all within walking distance.

Anything else let me know.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 AM

I think as a parent the fact that all the schools are new and big is a negative b/c I've seen how school districts can go downhill fast if not handled well. There isn't enough history in the school district yet and like Chet said, some of them are feeling the hit already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs