Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM

23 posts, read 92,590 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a place close to my husbands job in Warrenville. I have been thinking about the Oswego area, but want to keep an open mind to other areas. What kind of place is West Chicago? When I look at realtor.com i see homes that have more square footage, and it looks like you get more for your money. I need good schools, (high school and elementary) and the metra is not important. I like the small town feel and low crime. So what is the general opinion of West Chicago. Appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If you are super careful about choosing a neighborhood you can kind some nice spots in West Chicago, but the fact is much of the town is heavily Hispanic and the bulk of town is served by the D33, which is full of poor performing schools. It is kind of an oddity, as the towns to the east (like Wheaton) and to the west (like Batavia or Geneva) have much better support for the public schools, but I think there have been long term problems with funding stretching back to some of the industrial areas that had issues 20+ years ago...

If you find a home that is served by D25 schools or the section that is part of D303 that might be an option, and of course there are some folks that choose to utilize private schools (or have no kids) but even in those cases the "sellability" might suffer down the road as the town is not associated with "good place for non-minorities" in most peoples minds...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
As Chet states, watch your neighborhood. The town isnt really unsafe, but some areas are a little shady. If you visit the town, stay north of Washington St. There are plenty of great areas of West Chicago, but some are quite expensive (ie Forest Trails). Bottom line? Stay north of Washington St and the neighborhoods are quite nice, very established, and tree-lined. Lots of beautiful, well-kept old homes in town, too.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
There's a lot of gang activity in West Chicago, and in general in the towns along the Fox River: Aurora, Elgin, and so on. I live on the north side of Naperville, five minutes from Warrenville and have been a Naperville resident for over 20 years. I suggest looking either on the north side of Naperville, or Warrenville itself; the Winfield area (up Winfield Road near Roosevelt Rd) is very nice and semi-rural. Naperville by the way has excellent schools. I used to own a townhome in the Brookdale area (also five minutes from Warrenville) and there are a lot of nice homes in that areaj, convenient to shopping, near a forest preserve. You might want to consider renting for a year to get the lay of the land.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Part of the subdivisions in W chicago are also north of north ave and use St. Charles schools, D-303 which are excellent. It may as well BE St. Charles there... I don't know if the taxes are any lower in that development. Cornerstone lakes? I think it is called.
In W Chicago, There is also an excellent Catholic elementary school there and catholic hs is always an option.
Not sure if all of W chicago is in Dupage co. or some is in Kane. co.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
There's a lot of gang activity in West Chicago,
There are gangs, but theyre pretty quiet. I think West Chicago has been the most proactive town when it comes to dealing with gangs. In the early 90's the town struggled with gangs, but they created a gang task force, and things quieted down fast.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 AM

178 posts, read 601,725 times
As someone who may be moving to the Chicago area, I'm considering areas west of the city and am baffled by some of the codes listed above. Please fill me in... D303? D25? What are you talking about?

Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
school districts

Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 AM

16 posts, read 59,200 times
I have been looking in these areas also and while you can get more house for the money in West Chicago, the prices/homes have been even better in Oswego and Elgin. These towns have been booming with new developments even with the recession. I recommend taking a look at the models at town and country homes just because they give you a $50 gift card for your time and the houses are actually really nice and a good deal. I was impressed when I saw them.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:46 PM
vss

1 posts, read 8,880 times
Default West Chicago is really very nice

I live in West Chicago, the Prairie Meadows Sub-division, near Sonny Acres. I've lived in West Chicago for 10 years. The town is actually very nice. I think it's a very safe town. I have occasionally forgotten to lock my door or left my garage open and never had any problems. The neighbors are all friendly. The value for the dollar in housing is tremendous. The lot sizes are much more generous then you will typically find in Naperville. The park district has baseball and basketball programs that compete against Warrenville and Winfield teams. My older son participates in these. The prairie path runs right through our subdivision, which adds a great opportunity for recreation. The community pool is great. There are lots of private schools around. I'd definitely recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs