Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
 
3 posts, read 12,791 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I will need suggestion for safest and good suburb:

Family of 4 with 2 kids in elementary school. I will be attending UIC medical school starting this year. I would like to commute by public transporation less than 30 mins.

As far as my research in this forum Oak Park looks like the fit. Is there any other recommendation I would like to stay close to UIC as much as possible with little commute time with good elementary school for my kids. I am thinking of University Village also but I don't know about the school for kids.

Let me know which place in Oak park should I look for so I can hop into public transport with less walk time and more importantly safety.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM
 
28,455 posts, read 84,816,912 times
Reputation: 18723
Wow med school with with two kids? Does spouse work? Oak Park ain't cheap. Not sure if living nearer to campus would really be any cheaper, but it might make for shorter commute, the miix of kids at the elementary schools is probably quite a bit different in OP than you'd encounter near UIC...

You might also do some checking of the South Loop, it is a bit closer than OP, but might also allow you to stretch your money a bit further. Lots of new overbuilding, and the schools are supported by some pretty active parents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,523 posts, read 13,869,643 times
Reputation: 3906
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wow med school with with two kids? Does spouse work? Oak Park ain't cheap. Not sure if living nearer to campus would really be any cheaper, but it might make for shorter commute, the miix of kids at the elementary schools is probably quite a bit different in OP than you'd encounter near UIC...

You might also do some checking of the South Loop, it is a bit closer than OP, but might also allow you to stretch your money a bit further. Lots of new overbuilding, and the schools are supported by some pretty active parents...
Renting in Oak Park isn't all that expensive, actually. A few years ago I rented a large vintage 2 bedroom apt with parking in right next to Scoville Park (prime real estate) for 1350/month. Down by the Blue line and with the current economy, there are probably far better deals these days. I can't imagine there are significantly better deals in Chicago with comparable schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
 
3 posts, read 12,791 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Renting in Oak Park isn't all that expensive, actually. A few years ago I rented a large vintage 2 bedroom apt with parking in right next to Scoville Park (prime real estate) for 1350/month. Down by the Blue line and with the current economy, there are probably far better deals these days. I can't imagine there are significantly better deals in Chicago with comparable schools.

Thank you much I can find lot of houses which fits my budget. I looked into one which is located in
Roosevelt Rd. 214 (South Oak Park) Oak Park IL 60304

Is this area decently safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,523 posts, read 13,869,643 times
Reputation: 3906
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaaka View Post
Thank you much I can find lot of houses which fits my budget. I looked into one which is located in
Roosevelt Rd. 214 (South Oak Park) Oak Park IL 60304

Is this area decently safe?
What's your definition of safe? My guestimate is that this area of Oak Park at least equal, if not better when compared to the "average" Oak Park crime risk.

Check out the OPPD crime stats site for geographic info.
Oak Park, Illinois Village Departments -- Police Department
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
818 posts, read 2,158,056 times
Reputation: 329
I am a bit confused by this thread. The title asks for the best suburb, but it seems as though you have already made up your mind to live in Oak Park. Not to say that is a bad idea, the blue line will take you to UIC, and it is a good place to put your kids in elementary school. The only other place I would necessarily bring up is Forest Park, which is the end of the blue line just west of Oak Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
 
28,455 posts, read 84,816,912 times
Reputation: 18723
Schools, especially high school, are a significant negative of Forest Park...

The southern portion of Oak Park, near Roosevelt is not the most unsafe, but it probably has the least to offer of the "benefits" that one often associated with Oak Park -- houses are undistinguished in size / style / variety, shopping is basic, entertaiment options are thin, distance from other amenities (library, rec dept) is sometimes daunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top