Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,706 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to add to the propaganda but I remember heairng something a few years back about how something like 30%-40% of homes iddn't have running water or electricity in Robbins.

I used to live in a nicer surrounding burb and we would sometimes cruise through Robbins, we were flagged down and offered crack constantly, you cant even find a bag of pot in Robbins, nothing but crack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,706 times
Default a gas station does not mean a great community

sorry for the third post in a row but this thread is hilarious to me.

people are talking about a gas station opening as if its the equivalant to the auto industry making a comeback in detroit.

if the greatest thing about robbins in post after post is a new gas station opening up that should tell you something about the community

Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
I work with students from Robbins. I hear their own comments about the community and about the dangers of living there. I've driven through and even visited a family there. I have nothing bad to say about individuals living there. The home I visited was small, in a run down area, but inhabited by a family that was struggling to get by through hard work and supported by love for each other. The people who live in Robbins (by choice or not) are not all bad, and those who care about the community and the members who make positive contributions should be respected for that. Too many of the kids I encounter grow up there and adapt the frame of mind that they're relegated to a life with no hope. I applaud those community members who stay (and yes, some by choice) to try to better the community. Hopefully those young people I'm talking about will see that it's not impossible to be successful and still come from Robbins. I was so happy to see Dwayne Wade print t-shirts that said "from Robbins" and produce a tv commercial saying the same thing. These kids need to find pride in their community, not for what it currently is, but for what it has the potential to become, because of all of the good people who live there.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,699 times
Hi all ....I was born at Cook County Hospital in 1956 and lived in Robbins until the age of 22. I went to Lincoln and Keller school. I ate Mary’s Dinner polish and cheese steaks. Fanny Ora’s had the freshest Twinkies in the world! I watched semi pro league baseball across from South East High School. I have watched 53 Labor Day parades and have participated in 4. My dads mother lived next door to us, he was born in that house. Dad is a veteran of WWII (one of his duties was to guard German prisoners.)My mother participated in the great migration from the south (just after the war ended) and chose to settle in Robbins. There both live there today. They raised 5 kids…. I can go on and on and on….

Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolhj View Post
My mother participated in the great migration from the south (just after the war ended) and chose to settle in Robbins.
Believe it or not, Robbins was historically a sweet deal for black folk. It was one of the only suburbs they could afford without risk of violence.

We've come so far.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,699 times
Robbins was incorporated on December 14, 1917. It is the oldest all-black governed incorporated town in the northern United States. In 1930, Robbins became the home of the first black airport ever built in the United States. The airport and its flight school for African-Americans flourished until 1933, when a violent windstorm destroyed the hanger and the three airplanes inside. Robbins is also the home town of many celebrities, including Dwyane Wade – star of Miami Heat basketball team, KeKe Palmer – lead actress of hit movie “Akeelah and the Bee”, Mr.T(Lawrence Tero) – star of the television series "The A Team", and Nichelle Nichols -- actress who played Lieutenant Uhura on the long-running television series “Star Trek”.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
Many of you who post things here about Robbins, have no idea how hard it is to market Robbins in a better light when posters on this site continue to make false assumptions. I was born and raised in Robbins. I still live there. I am 35 years of age, college educated and yes Robbins is home to me. Robbins is a very distressed community, but instead of running away I decided I would stay to help my community to be better place. We are working very hard to turn around the political, social and economic condition of Robbins. So I would suggest those who don't have anything good to say, how about encourage or help Robbins to do better.....Mark my words.... Robbins will be the greatest place to live and that is because citizen like myself and others will never give up on a black historical town like Robbins......Change is happening in Robbins

Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM

300 posts, read 638,825 times
Robbins is a horrible place, drug dealers, abandoned buildings, public housing.
The only thing they have there is a hot dog stand, a few licour stores, and the National Guard Center and of course... The Cal Sag Canal

Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,331 times
Default Yes there is

THERE ARE ABOUT 6 TO 7 CLOSED BUSINESSES THAT ARE FOR SALE IN ROBBINS AND THEY GO FOR ABOUT 190 TO 300K GET IT RIGHT.....THERE ARE A COUPLE HOMES THAT GO FOR AROUND 250K COME ON NOW......

Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phamly Records View Post
THERE ARE ABOUT 6 TO 7 CLOSED BUSINESSES THAT ARE FOR SALE IN ROBBINS AND THEY GO FOR ABOUT 190 TO 300K GET IT RIGHT.....THERE ARE A COUPLE HOMES THAT GO FOR AROUND 250K COME ON NOW......
You're straight up lying. There are no homes in Robbins that even go for close to that much..

Last edited by urza216; 10-30-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs