Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 12,037 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My boyfriend and I are looking to move out in the next few months and have been trying to find a place that works between our two jobs and where all our friends and family live.

Right now we found a home to rent that we really like that is in Franklin Park, right off of Grand Ave. I have never known anyone who lived in the area and only have a friend who owns a home in Schiller Park, so I don't know a lot about the town.

I was wondering if you guys knew what kind of neighborhood it is, what kind of businesses it has to offer as far as restaurants, bars, etc, if things are in walking distance, etc. I want to make sure the area is something we were looking for.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 PM

72 posts, read 212,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissam View Post
Hi,
My boyfriend and I are looking to move out in the next few months and have been trying to find a place that works between our two jobs and where all our friends and family live.

Right now we found a home to rent that we really like that is in Franklin Park, right off of Grand Ave. I have never known anyone who lived in the area and only have a friend who owns a home in Schiller Park, so I don't know a lot about the town.

I was wondering if you guys knew what kind of neighborhood it is, what kind of businesses it has to offer as far as restaurants, bars, etc, if things are in walking distance, etc. I want to make sure the area is something we were looking for.

Thanks!
O.K. area, known for industrial parts and o.k. schools, if this pertains to you. A ton of Polish and Spanish in the area- crime seems about average.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Everything potter says is accurate. Not much to walk to, crisscrossed with lots of car and heavy truck traffic...

Old 11-27-2008, 12:09 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
It depends where off of Grand. If the house is around Scott and Grand, you could walk to Ace Hardware, Arby's, a Mexican restaurant, Jewel, Starbucks. There are a few bars on Grand between 25th Avenue and Mannheim. FP is not great for nightlife. I know someone who has lived in FP for over 30 years and she has never had a problem with crime. She has some good friends in the area and is happy there.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
It is a major industrial area, with fairly good employment prospects. One drawback to the village is it is a major railroad center,so you may often get delayed by freight trains, though there is an underpass at Grand Av and overpass on Mannheim. Yes, it is close to O'Hare, but the flight path is normally north of town. It has a thriving downtown area, something that is rare these days.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,902 times
Franklin Park? Mannheim? I know nothin' about either

I spent a good chunk of my childhood there and I have fond memories. If you work on the NW side of Chicago it would be an easy commute. I suppose one of the caveats would be airplane noise from O'Hare. But like I said in another thread, you can easily adapt to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs