Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 13,568 times

Advertisements

Hi city experts,

We are in the NW suburbs, contemplating a move closer to the North Shore, as my husband works in Wilmette. We need housing in the 375-400K range, and Morton Grove looks like a good option, although we really have no clue.

Parkview Elementary is rated 8/10 on great schools, and is a K-8 model, which is appealing to me. My kids are currently in a wonderful private secular school but will be in 1st grade and K next year, so we think a good idea to move now than later.

Does anyone know about this school? I have called the school to set an appt for tour, though am waiting to hear back.

Any feedback?

We don't have to move, though trying to lessen the hour long commute that takes place before the sun rises. Kids emotional and academic health is of priority though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:39 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Just as a reference to compare, where are you now and what school districts are you in?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
Interactive Illinois Report Card - looks like it is pretty diverse, test scores are real good.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 13,568 times
We are in Streamwood which is u-46 school district. Streamwood High is rated a 2 out of 10 on great schools.We love our private school, though it is not connected with the neighborhood where we live, and far from husbands work.Hoping to find a nice community, with reasonably priced homes and a good school system that is above average academically and safe emotionally/physically as well.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
streamwood is really not that bad.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,084 times
i really like morton grove as we're in the midst of everything. we moved to morton grove for several reason and park view was one of them. i wouldn't move to the other side of morton grove which has more house for the money because it was offiliated with horrible schools.
our house is a fully remodeled split level which back into a park which is also close to park view elementary.....we're planning on listing it since we've outgrown it (4 kids)....it's a 3 bedroom 2 full bath...but the asking price is 479,900. We can sell it fully furnished as well. taxes are low too....and our lot is huge. 66X132
you'll like mg because of the schools, close to work, and it is close to shopping and etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Morton Grove is great, a lot of my close friends attended Parkview and were rather proud of it. It feeds into Niles West High School, which is a great school. The area as a whole is diverse, and I'm sure you'll find a wonderful house in your price range.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
It does no one any good to rely on JUNK sites that allow any random person to register and say their schools deserves " X stars" or what have you.

Illinois has a very weak assessment for elementary / middle schools so that value of the interactive report card is more in measuring the fractions between schools than anything else.
I do think it is fair to say that when a particular school has particularly awful results, with hardly more than a third of students meeting weak standards it is fair to say that such a school is "that bad" (while the town may be kinda ok...) Interactive Illinois Report Card

If you are looking for a simple list of schools that have "real good" test scores the Sun Times has such a listing: Top 100 elementary schools in Illinois :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Education

As to saying that a upstream school is currently 'great' (as opposed to 'may have been better in the past'...) it would be wise to consult the fairly thorough list compiled for US News, where the above mentioned school is absent: Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

Sorry if this comes off as preachy, but the casualness that some folks continue to regard the terrible performance of too many students won't change if people are not aware...

As to where Park View in SD70 of Morton Grove ranks on a "pure numbers" basis the data is mixed:
2009 Illinois Report Card Results :: Park View Elem School: Nothing too impressive as far as the k-5 numbers, considerably higher ranking for the 6-8 results. Depending on why that is AND if things continue in that pattern it might be acceptable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs