Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 AM

69 posts, read 231,733 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think the North Shores prices have seen their botom yet?
I've noticed that Highland Park has take an especially brutal tumble over the last few months. What gives? Are we near the bottom?

SK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 AM

114 posts, read 387,320 times
That is the million dollar question.

Many experts agree the market is stabalizing in pricing. For the most part, sellers putting their houses on the market now realize that we are not in 2005 and they need to price for this market place. Sellers that went on the market too high finally understand that they have been overpriced and need to reduce. Homes priced well will sell in a relatively short period of time.

No of us will know exactly when the bottom is. We will only know we hit the bottom after it has passed, prices begin to rise and inventory begins to decline. What all agree on is that we will stay at or near the bottom for quite sometime. When the market begins to appreciate it is going to be a long, slow process and prices will stay lower for a while. Just how long no one knows.

This is an excellent time for buyers. Prices are lower than they have been for years, there is a large inventory and therefore a huge selection (nearly double the typical inventory in Winnetka and Glencoe, about 1 1/2 times the inventory in Wilmette, and Kenilworth has a 5 year supply) and rates are very favorable. If I was in the market I would absolutely purchase. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 PM

69 posts, read 231,733 times
What do you think of the Highland Park inventory? I've noticed that Wilmette and HP have the greatest disparity in housing stock but the prices in east HP seem to be coming down pretty rapidly. Any thoughts?

SK

Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
efb

90 posts, read 261,138 times
We just bought a house in Wilmette and when it was appraised it was very close to what we offered so that was good BUT the appraiser indicated to the bank that this was a declining market. Funny - I would have thought that applied to the entire USA!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skontoller View Post
What do you think of the Highland Park inventory? I've noticed that Wilmette and HP have the greatest disparity in housing stock but the prices in east HP seem to be coming down pretty rapidly. Any thoughts?

SK
Highland Park has seen proportionately more distressed sales (short sales and bank owned) than of the other shore communities and that has contributed to its decline. HP aslo has a very large inventory right now and has for a long time.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efb View Post
We just bought a house in Wilmette and when it was appraised it was very close to what we offered so that was good BUT the appraiser indicated to the bank that this was a declining market. Funny - I would have thought that applied to the entire USA!
Agree! It does.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
In my opinion we haven't hit the bottom. People keep talking about a big wave of foreclosures on the North Shore. I think I may be beginning to see them. I recently saw a foreclosure begin to take place in Kenilworth on a mortgage with a balance of over $1.3 million. I think it is possible, especially with Chicago being so strongly tied to the financial sector.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
In my opinion we haven't hit the bottom. People keep talking about a big wave of foreclosures on the North Shore. I think I may be beginning to see them. I recently saw a foreclosure begin to take place in Kenilworth on a mortgage with a balance of over $1.3 million. I think it is possible, especially with Chicago being so strongly tied to the financial sector.
You could be correct but I hope not. I don't think it will be a "wave" but there will be some and they do have a negative impact on the market. There have been about 6 bank owned sales in the past 6-9 months in Winnetka. Prior to '08 there was maybe one every 2 years if that.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlest8 View Post
You could be correct but I hope not. I don't think it will be a "wave" but there will be some and they do have a negative impact on the market. There have been about 6 bank owned sales in the past 6-9 months in Winnetka. Prior to '08 there was maybe one every 2 years if that.
I don't think we have to worry. Leo and Milena Birov will buy all of the foreclosed homes ;-) here in Winnetka.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I don't think we have to worry. Leo and Milena Birov will buy all of the foreclosed homes ;-) here in Winnetka.

Yep! You're right and I wonder if they will buy the one on Lindenwood that they built 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs