Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM

18 posts, read 58,114 times

Advertisements

Hello - new to these forums We are in our thirties and have one child (toddler) and a large dog. We are looking to buy in AH but not sure where to buy - is there a bad area or is there a school to stay away from in d214???
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,589 times
There are no bad areas of Arlington Heights. Some apartment complexes have section 8 tenants, but they are spread out. Every suburb has some type of gang presence (NOTE: not the same as a gang problem). It is known as a safe suburb, any neighborhood should be ok. I have never heard of a neighborhood in AH that is not safe.

Of all the 214 schools, only Wheeling HS has a more noticeable gang presence (but again: not a problem).

Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 AM

Thank you chitown. I guess I was wondering if anybody was familiar with the area between Wilke and Kenicott, north of NW Hwy and just east of the Arlington Park race track? I was nervous about the pollution from train. I live in West loop now so I am very used to noise and I suppose I can say I live among alot of pollution as we speak But for resale value, I was wondering what other opinions were out there about that particular area of AH? Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
^^A friend of mine lives in that area, and while the houses are less expensive than the ones closer to the downtown Metra stop, it has never struck me as a troubled area of any kind. I do think that Prospect High School has a better reputation than Hersey (sp?), however. So that is another factor (not that Hersey is bad or anything).

Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,778,685 times
I lived in AH for close to a decade. Excellent community, no problems. IMHO north part of it is a lot better. South borders industrial/ commercial areas, airplane noise is highier.
Kids have gone thru middle school and Hersey high, got into Loyola and UofI with no problems.
Excellent library, other facilities. The area you ask for is pretty much my favorite, although I lived closer to AH road than to the track. I'm sure you'll like living there.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,589 times
That area is perfectly fine. The noise shouldn't be a problem. I have never heard of any criminal issues out of the ordinary over by Kennicott.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM

Do you think we should worry about living near a train station in terms of pollution and the horse race track (more pollution from more cars)? I am wondering if anybody has a child with asthma if they would worry about that? Thank you for everybody who has responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs