Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times

Advertisements

Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are wonderful towns. Elmhurst is nice too, but Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are nicer IMO, less congested too. Just steer clear of Rt. 38 during rush hour and Wheaton and Glen Ellyn are very easily navigable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,092 times
Have you considered Algonquin? My family relocated here because my husband managed a sales district that included all of Chicago metro-area, and since he had to travel so far so often, we just decided we'd just try to live close to one of his offices.

We love it here! People are great, it has a good mix of young families, mature families, and older people. Everyone's friendly, and most importantly (at least for us) everything is prisitine, clean and pretty. All of the subdivisions are nice, and the shopping areas are great and getting better everyday. We have a 15 month old son, and it is the best place we've ever lived to raise a family (and we've relocated a lot for my husband's job).

It's about 15-20 minutes north of Elgin, and although it's not in between Elgin and downtown, there is a Metra station about 5 minutes from here that has a direct line to downtown. (The Metra is not only reliable, but often a preferred method of transporation in Chicago). If you're gonna ride the train anyway, there is no need to live closer to downtown, the suburbs are more expensive the closer you go to downtown. And although technically they are suburbs because they are outside of Chicago city limits, they do not have as much of a "suburban" feel IMO. They feel very urban.

Algonquin, on the other hand, feels very suburban. Also, I would caution against living in Elgin. It is not a bad place, but it also has an urban "feel" and I've heard there is quite a bit of crime in some areas. There is a bit more poverty in Elgin than in suburbs surrounding it. And IMO, it has a "dirty" look. I'm not referring to the people, but the streets, curbs, and buildings are not well kept at all.

Housing in Algonquin is affordable (upper 300's to about 500's). I live in one of the nicer subdivisions here called Willoughby Farms, and just in my subdivision alone, there are quite a few homes on the market that are priced well. You could get 3000-3200 sq ft for on .25 acres for about $420-450K. We bought here about 3 years ago and despite the real estate drop-off nationwide, my realtor friends say our market value is still going up.

So just a thought you should consider. Best wishes to you and your family on your move.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:02 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times
I think comparative perspective is useful here. Where in Detroit area do you like? My hometown, Rochester Hills, reminds me of Naperville/Glen Ellyn/Wheaton/Bolingbrook. Schaumburg feels like Novi.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 43,777 times
Thanks all! great feedback......

I live in Bloomfield Hills now, looking for a similar type of spot in the Chi burbs....

Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times
There is no lack of Bloomfield Hills type places in the Chicagoland region.

Any thoughts here on Barrington? I have not been out that far northwest yet. I was told it was worth a visit.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:27 PM

59 posts, read 248,618 times
I personally would choose Wheaton. Just keep in mind, that the closer you get to the city the tax rate climbs and the housing sq footage shrinks. But no matter what you decide. Stay out of Elgin. I have friends that live in Elgin as well as South Elgin. And they say that the crime,drugs and gang activities are the same. You should add Carpentersville, Streamwood and Hanover Park to the list of towns to avoid. I lived in Algonquin for years and I loved it. If you look there stay on the west side. Jacobs High School is pretty good. The East side has some really nice homes, but the High School is terrible

Good Luck

Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM

59 posts, read 248,618 times
Barrington is a great town. A lot of young professional families. $500k will not buy you much in Barrington. Take a look at Cary and Fox River Grove.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:29 AM

153 posts, read 209,766 times
Unfortunately you are stuck in cookie cutter land. I would recommend Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates if your number one concern is commute times and affordability. Both cities have good market outlooks, good schools, vibrant town centers, and nice shopping and dining. If your more concerned as to the neighborhood atmosphere I would try the Barrington Area, particularly the town of South Barrington. South Barrington can be expensive but you get what you pay for. a sophisticated, high class, city that can easily compete with the "North Shore" suburbs. I believe South Barrington shares schools with Schaumburg. This is good because it gives kids a sense of economic and cultural diversity. The Barrington Area also offers quick Metra rail transport to downtown and the rest of Chicagoland. You metioned Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, and Wheaton. Unfortunately they are all a bit out of the ways when it comes to commute. Elmhurst is a nice developed town that can be nice but it is not the most sophisticated town in Chicago. Glen Ellyn is very far away, a killer commute, and Wheaton is just to far south for you and your wifes commutes. Wheaton is also filled with many senior citizens.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Barrington would definitly fit the bill,very close to Elgin,upscale area,excellent schools,metra train commute to the city,wonderful "downtown" village with nice restaraunts, great family activities,parks,concerts,outdoor events,sports for kids etc.There are several homes in your price range and many different areas to choose from.(barrington Village,Lake Barrington etc)I would NOT recommend South Barrington,it does NOT use Schaumburg schools as you were told,and it does not have a "town" only sub divisions,many with HUGE hotel size houses with all the charm of a cement block.Every new home tries to be bigger then the next. Schaumburg is simply strip malls and sub divisions surrounding a huge mall(Woodfeild),Hoffman Estates is similar,but has a few neighborhoods,that is DEFINITLY "cookie cutter land",and no Metra.Elmhurst,Glen Ellyn Wheaton are nice suburbs,but not as close to Elgin and you dont want to deal with a commute with rush hour traffic.I dont even undertand the "Franklin Park" area recommondations,that is no where near your wifes job,and these areas are not as nice as the other ones you mentioned .The older parts of Algonquin are nice,but alot of the town has been taken over by a million "little boxes",,rows and rows upon rows of identical sub division houses,no trees,divided by strip malls,,really anywhere USA-certainly a "cookie cutter land".I think St CHarles is also a wonderful burb,as is Geneva,easy trip to Elgin

Old 06-25-2007, 09:01 AM

11 posts, read 43,777 times
How far of a drive would it be from Hoffman to the nearest Metra & how long would the train commute be to Mich Ave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs