U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM

17 posts, read 63,604 times

Advertisements

All the schools in 203 are definitely not the same. And their differences are reflected in the home prices for sure.

e.g.
Naper Elementary has 291 students, but Mill Street Elementary has 887. Washington Jr. High has 592 students and Kennedy has 1141.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM

721 posts, read 2,785,217 times
Default 203/204

Of course there are differences between schools, the main point is any school in 203 or 204 is probably better than 90% of other public schools in the country so no need to worry your kid will be safe and get a good education.

Read an article in the paper today and they are redistricting 203 elementary and middle schools. OFten times thats a reason people say 203 over 204 because boundaries are more stable but they change as well.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:22 PM

They are redistricting Mill because of large number of rental / condo units in that area. Everyone in town knows Mill is different because of the apartment buildings vs. almost all single family homes in most other neighborhoods. To my knowledge 203 has not redistricted in almost 30 years. But fyi, Naperville 203 does have an open enrollment policy; as long as you have a good reason and the school isn't over crowded your children can attend regardless of where you live in 203.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:05 PM

137 posts, read 504,341 times
Correction - they are redistricting due to class sizes - translation - Pupil : Teacher ratio - NOT "because of large number of rental/condo units in the area." They are redistricting to Elmwood because Elmwood will have lots of unused space due to currently enrolled Early Childhood Program students moving to their new home over on Naper Blvd beginning fall 2010. The school district does not redistrict for socio/economic reasons. It simply makes sense to take an overcrowded school and relieve it in a manner that does not increase our taxes. By using an existing school that is capable of absorbing the enrollment rather than making costly additions or adding an additional unnecessary school. This is a practical, albeit controversial solution.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 12,456 times
Thank you for all the insightful comments - I really appreciate everyone's insight.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM

I didn't mean they are redistricting for socio/economic reasons. I was trying to relate the high density housing within that school's boundaries to its current over crowding problem.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,010 times
203 is the better choice. Trust me - I am a native and have lived in this area my whole life. Go with District 203. I should know - I live in District 204. The schools are good but do you really want to spend your time constantly driving from the south end of town every day to get to the train/expressway? Plus, unless you are making well into the 6 figures, your wife doesn't work and you own a Lexus, be careful choosing a subdivision.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM

146 posts, read 279,305 times
unless you are making well into the 6 figures, your wife doesn't work and you own a Lexus, be careful choosing a subdivision.

That's interesting. Please clarify.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,615 times
I'm noticing the difference now that 203/204 students are choosing high school classes. 204 students have options like business or engineering because they took all their computer classes in junior high. 203 students got a study hall instead of computer skills training, so they have to use their only elective (if they are taking a language) for computer skills classes.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,003 times
My son is moving to Naperville in summer of 2013 because of the schools, and my grandson will be going into third grade at that time. I have spent a lot of time going over the data for each school and finding out which areas have high rentals (thus high mobility), and there is definitely a difference between the schools in terms of performance (although, as someone mentioned, none are even close to being as bad as many schools in Illinois), and there is the usual link between performance and the economic level of the surrounding area.

What I want to know, though, is the things that don't show up in reports, like a pattern of social problems in any given school between races/cultures, haves/havenots, a lack of acceptance of other children who are different in some way, too much peer pressure, etc. A child who is motivated can thrive academically in pretty much any school with dedicated teachers and parents who provide learning opportunities if the daily social environment in the school is not stressful. That has a definite impact on even a good student, and, while I know these factors probably exist in all schools, it is the degree to which they occur that I'm interested in knowing, so any imput about the factors that don't appear in official reports would be very helpful. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs