U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 12,456 times

Advertisements

We are currently considering moving to Naperville. While there has been many discussion threads on the high schools in 203/204 and the redistricting, I am more interested in finding out about elementary and middle schools in the 2 districts - are they uniformly good? Any ones that are better than others? Any particular elementary schools to avoid? Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 PM

342 posts, read 1,136,846 times
i went to longwood elementary school in 204. it was my favorite school i ever went to.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:59 PM

721 posts, read 2,785,217 times
Default 203/204

People on these boards argue about which is better but basically any school in 203 or 204 is excellent.

203 is more stable as far as districts being set but wherever you get shuffled in 204 your kids will be fine. I think all that will get sorted out before your kids start hs anyway.

Many people like 203, don't get me wrong 203 is great schools, the one thing nice about 204 is all the schools are brand new with the exception of waubonsie which is still very nice. Neuqua has a weight room better than most colleges. Olympic size swimming pool, computers in each classroom, etc. Both are great schools but 204 has the best equipment in terms of sports, computers, etc if your kids are into that type of stuff.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:04 PM

137 posts, read 504,341 times
You will probably be very happy with just about ANY of the choices. Both districts really do a great job in hiring qualified and nurturing teachers for the most part.

The one thing I will add - The David Letterman show selects it's kids for the 'weird science' experiments from Kennedy Jr High (one of the PI+ schools), and have since added a Lincoln Jr High. Both schools are located in 203. Certainly a goal for all kids to do well.

Additionally, one of the smallest middle schools in Naperville is Washington Jr High. The class size is somewhat smaller than surrounding middle schools and as such, the teachers get to know their kids a little better and vice versa. It's a comfortable transition from elementary to middle school and since it's located in the heart of downtown Naperville and across the street from the DuPage Children's Museum, there are lots of opportunities for the kids on their days off, from volunteering to hanging out with friends at the Riverwalk or downtown establishments (what memories are made of).

Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 PM

42 posts, read 118,758 times
I had the exact same question a few weeks back and am still hunting for a house in Naperville, and I no longer worry about it. Numbers-wise the schools are all good. I've gotten numb to the 203 hype.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:17 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,209,993 times
It is not accurate to say that all the schools in D203 or D204 are excellent -- there are a wide range of schools that are part of both those disticts. Many people that live in one part of the area served by those districts will be able to cite EXACTLY what makes things more or less desirable. The simplest rankings clearly show that while there are no schools in either districts that would put them in the "abysmal" place that too many schools in Illinois fall into , yet there are a number of schools that are not stellar. Most folks would agree that the same factors seen in pulling down the achievement of other students is in evidence -- areas with a great number of rental units tend to have higher than average mobility; lower income areas generally perform less well than higher income areas; students with less preparation do not perform as well as those with solid backgrounds stretching back to kindergarten.

Take a look at the data: http://iirc.niu.edu/SearchResult.aspx?type=CITY&searchText=$NAPERVILLE $

The average selling price of homes is a little bit of a "chicken & egg" way of looking at things, but regardless of whether the desirability comes first or the performance come first there is no disputing that the schools that serve the area with the lowest percentage of rentals / higher median selling prices tend to have the schools that most consistently set the bar for academic performance...

The OP specifically asking about "avoiding" particular schools, a decidedly more controversial route to take, yet one that can legitimately be asked by concerned parents. My advice would be straightforward: aim for the pricest attendance area you can afford. If that means that you might have to settle for a older smaller home to get the best odds of having access to the most academically successful environment that is fair trade off in any area.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM

721 posts, read 2,785,217 times
Default 203/204

I agree/disagree with what Chet said. I agree that given the choice pretty much everyone who knows the schools would send there kids to gregory/jefferson middle schools over granger and neuqua or central over waubonsie. Waubonsie and Granger do have more rentals like Chet said.

That said however Waubonsie is still a very well ranked school in the state. I would venture to bet your kids going to waubonsie are still in a better school than about 90% of the rest of Illinois. If you got the choice obviously some schools are more appealing than others but anything in 203/204 is safe and your kid will get a good education

Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 PM

867 posts, read 1,928,993 times
I would honestly be happy with either

Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 AM

59 posts, read 129,727 times
My wife student taught in 204 and as previous poster mentioned was impressed with their dedication to technology. That having been said, I'm a personal banker in the area and one of the schools in 203 has students come in now and again to learn about credit, investing, finance, retirement, etc. Any school that's actually teaching financial responsibility and smart consumerism at this point is tops in my book. I think you'll be fine with either, frankly, as with any school it comes down to the front-line teachers that interact with your child every day. Having met a fair number from each district both in professional and casual settings, your kids will be given all the tools to do well in either.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:47 AM

28,461 posts, read 76,209,993 times
Not going to specifically disagree with anyone above, but the data from the (weak) Illinois Achievement Assessment for high schools is pretty hard to argue with, especially when you see the disparity between the schools in the same districts:
Top 100 high schools in Illinois :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Education

That table is very hard to read, and the peculiar way that Illinois allows "Community Unit Districts" to have the same numerical designation as regular "High School Districts" makes it even tougher, but I think anyone that cares to can see why I would disagree that all "schools in 203 or 204 are excellent"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs