Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM

18 posts, read 34,733 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-
My family and I are moving from out of state to the Chicago area. I have been looking on greatschools.net to check out schools, especially junior high schools, for my kids. The reviews for the schools in the northern burbs (Wilmette, Winnetka, etc) almost all list bullying as a huge problem. My son is small, slight and quiet, and I am very concerned. I am working up north and my wife is working in Chicago, so we have to find a northern burb in between. Any suggestions on where to look? Is this problem overblown or as bad as it sounds fromn these parent reviews?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
My son is also small - he takes martial arts - no problems Perhaps your son would be interested in something like that? It is great for self confidence and discipline.

I hope bullying is not an issue in the schools up there - everyone says how great they all are on the north shore.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:38 PM

18 posts, read 34,733 times
Great idea-he is not very athletic, so that might work!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,751 times
wilmette and winnekta are probalby both in the top richest cities. if there is bullying there, there is probably bullying everywhere else.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
I think it's common among all junior high school students. Unfortunately, it's part of growing up, but I don't foresee it being a huge deal. You can always talk to the school if such a problem arises.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
There's bullying everywhere.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:35 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markomalley View Post
Hi everyone-
My family and I are moving from out of state to the Chicago area. I have been looking on greatschools.net to check out schools, especially junior high schools, for my kids. The reviews for the schools in the northern burbs (Wilmette, Winnetka, etc) almost all list bullying as a huge problem. My son is small, slight and quiet, and I am very concerned. I am working up north and my wife is working in Chicago, so we have to find a northern burb in between. Any suggestions on where to look? Is this problem overblown or as bad as it sounds fromn these parent reviews?!
Did you consider that parents in New Trier, because of the class they belong to, might complain about bullying more?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times
Default bullying

I agree with the previous poster, the more upscale the suburb the more parental involvement you get. It's a good thing b/c schools where the parents care make more successful students but you do get some "helicopter parents" who just get way over involved in every aspect of their kids life and I think thats why you hear more complaints about bullying at these schools. Probably also true of Naperville and simlar suburbs

Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Teach him to fight the first kid who messes with him, tell him you won't be mad if gets in trouble for it, and problem solved.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM

114 posts, read 387,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
I agree with the previous poster, the more upscale the suburb the more parental involvement you get. It's a good thing b/c schools where the parents care make more successful students but you do get some "helicopter parents" who just get way over involved in every aspect of their kids life and I think thats why you hear more complaints about bullying at these schools. Probably also true of Naperville and simlar suburbs
Very true. All four of my kids have gone through the Winnetka public schools. They take bullying very seriously there. Some of the stuff you read online about the schools here is written by parents with unrealistic expectations. As another poster said, unfortunately it goes on everywhere, it is a product of the age for some kids. The martial arts suggestions is a great one. Good luck, it's lovely here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs