Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM

58 posts, read 161,608 times

Advertisements

My son is a student at Northwestern University. He got a DUI and needs an attorney. We have no idea how to find one other than to pick a name out of the phone book and that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
thanks
Martha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:06 PM

113 posts, read 195,117 times
It's the best choice you have. The Bar can give you info about any attorney they license in the state.
Also, from my knowledge of Illinois law on this...and this IS NOT legal advice by the way, so...

If your son didn't do a breath test, and they have no blood or urine results to prove DUI, and if all they have is one copper's word that he was drunk or under the influence...the judge or jury will have to find him not guilty or the state will be forced otherwise to drop the charges.

If they convict him on anything less than evidence rising to the level of "beyond the shadow of a doubt" in either direction, they have convicted him on evidence that was of a lower level than called for by law. Preponderance of the evidence isn't gonna cut it!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Oh, there is no doubt he is guilty. He's not trying to get out of it. Just needs an attorney to hopefully help him end up with a lighter sentence.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 PM

588 posts, read 1,790,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking_Out_Loud View Post
It's the best choice you have. The Bar can give you info about any attorney they license in the state.
Also, from my knowledge of Illinois law on this...and this IS NOT legal advice by the way, so...

If your son didn't do a breath test, and they have no blood or urine results to prove DUI, and if all they have is one copper's word that he was drunk or under the influence...the judge or jury will have to find him not guilty or the state will be forced otherwise to drop the charges.

If they convict him on anything less than evidence rising to the level of "beyond the shadow of a doubt" in either direction, they have convicted him on evidence that was of a lower level than called for by law. Preponderance of the evidence isn't gonna cut it!

With "advice" like this, this is the exact reason people need good attorneys. This is wrong on every level.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,299,883 times
Call Mark Sciblo Law Office

(773) 775-5050

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,383,653 times
Did the incident occur in Cook County ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedlady View Post
My son is a student at Northwestern University. He got a DUI and needs an attorney. We have no idea how to find one other than to pick a name out of the phone book and that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
thanks
Martha

Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 PM

yes, on Campus I believe

Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,383,653 times
Hmm, might need a lawyer that is familiar with the Old Orchard Courthouse (Skokie, IL) if this happened at the NW campus in Evanston. I'll see if I can come up with something a bit later. Most lawyers will probably do the same job, but rates will vary and some will be more "responsive" and easier to get ahold of than others. My best advice so far is to pick someone extremely familiar with the courthouse where this case is going to be sent.

Quote:
yes, on Campus I believe

Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,115,117 times
I personally can vouch for this guy:

JOHN C LEGUTKI

* Address: 53 W JACKSON BLVD, CHICAGO, IL 60604
* Telephone: (312) 939-8747

Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,514,033 times
Quote:
Oh, there is no doubt he is guilty. He's not trying to get out of it. Just needs an attorney to hopefully help him end up with a lighter sentence.
I'm reading into this so not sure if this is where your comming from but when I was younger my mom bailed me out of a trouble once or twice and she never wanted me to totally get off wanted me to get in some trouble to learn my lesson to speak.

Not sure if you feel the same way but dont be like that. DUI is a terrible thing to have on your record, not only will it show up on any future job that does a background check but it takes away a whole lot of career possibilities. Probably any job who gives a company car will not hire him, sales jobs where he's driving on the clock, etc, etc, etc.

If possible you want this wiped away as much as possible and want nothing on his record. Dont try to have integrity and say he should have some consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs