Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 PM

21 posts, read 72,385 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to the Sycamore area of DeKalb Co. I am interested in opinions on the area. I am living in Montana, so I am used to extreme weather, etc. I am looking at schools, and programs, etc. I have three elementary-aged children with their numerous interests. Also, a strange question, but, does anyone know if the Kishwaukee River floods? The area interests me because the taxes seem to be lower. How is this area compared to Manhattan, Il, which I think is near Joliet. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
FYI, Sycamore and Manhattan are not Chicago suburbs. You may want to post this in the general IL section.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Manhattan IL has Metra train service. A plus if you will be going to downtown Chicago often. It resembles a small town downstate. DeKalb has Northern IL University, which helps it thrive.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:18 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Why did you choose these towns? They're not really near anything of interest.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Why did you choose these towns? They're not really near anything of interest.
Thats a questionable statement. Im sure most would choose Sycamore over Elgin.

To the OP: Sycamore and DeKalb are pretty far out, but not ridiculously so. If you wanted to take the train to Chicago, you could drive out to Elburn or Geneva (15-20) minutes to take the Metra. Sycamore is more attractive, IMO, than DeKalb. A quaint downtown, very safe, growing community, quiet. DeKalb is larger, has some areas that are rather run-down (but not unsafe), and just isnt as attractive as Sycamore, IMO.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 AM

179 posts, read 486,129 times
Both of the northern towns, Sycamore and Dekalb are much larger than Manhattan is. They all are quite a drive to Chicago. Manhattan does offer a limited daily schedule via Metra train service for commuters. Although growing and adding some franchise businesses recently, it remains the most rural and secluded of the feeder towns in the Lincoln-Way High School District. The school systems (Elementary and High School) are very good. The park district has expanded its services within the village as of late, so options for activities for kids are improving. The Lincoln-Way High School District is rated very highly within the state. But ... you are comparing apples and oranges when considering Manhattan versus the other cities. Size alone make the differences fairly dramatic.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats a questionable statement. Im sure most would choose Sycamore over Elgin.

To the OP: Sycamore and DeKalb are pretty far out, but not ridiculously so. If you wanted to take the train to Chicago, you could drive out to Elburn or Geneva (15-20) minutes to take the Metra. Sycamore is more attractive, IMO, than DeKalb. A quaint downtown, very safe, growing community, quiet. DeKalb is larger, has some areas that are rather run-down (but not unsafe), and just isnt as attractive as Sycamore, IMO.

The closest city to Elgin is Chicago, the closest city to those towns is Rockford. I have a friend who lives in Sycamore, not exactly much out there. Endless cornfields and vinyl sided subdivisions aren't exactly points of "interest". I think it's a legitimate question to ask the OP why they chose DeKalb county, it's not exactly a booming employment center. If they're looking for a county somewhat close to a big city that's still predominately rural, well then that answers my question. Otherwise it seems like they threw a dart at a map.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The closest city to Elgin is Chicago, the closest city to those towns is Rockford. I have a friend who lives in Sycamore, not exactly much out there. Endless cornfields and vinyl sided subdivisions aren't exactly points of "interest". I think it's a legitimate question to ask the OP why they chose DeKalb county, it's not exactly a booming employment center. If they're looking for a county somewhat close to a big city that's still predominately rural, well then that answers my question. Otherwise it seems like they threw a dart at a map.
You apparently dont know anything about Sycamore except maybe the Peace Rd area. Most of Sycamore is older housing, many of them are absolutely beautiful and in pristine condition. The town is safe, its growing, is cheaper than Chicagoland, and still relatively close enough to get to the suburbs in 20 minutes or so. And if you really want to talk about cornfields and vinyl-sided subdivisions, look to the far west side of Elgin (mainly the Randall Rd corridor). Besides the riverboat, Sycamore and DeKalb have just about everything that Elgin does, but w/o the slums, gangbangers, and high crime.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 AM

I am not a fan of vinyl sided homes anywhere, I hate the Randall corridor, but that's not the Elgin I live in and Elgin does not have the crime you think it does. I don't want to get into an Elgin thing here when the OP didn't even mention Elgin. I am still curious about what is the draw for someone who lives in Montana to move to DeKalb county. I didn't mean it in too snarky of a way. I am sure there are lots of rural-ish counties that are similar, hence my question.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I am not a fan of vinyl sided homes anywhere, I hate the Randall corridor, but that's not the Elgin I live in and Elgin does not have the crime you think it does. I don't want to get into an Elgin thing here when the OP didn't even mention Elgin. I am still curious about what is the draw for someone who lives in Montana to move to DeKalb county. I didn't mean it in too snarky of a way. I am sure there are lots of rural-ish counties that are similar, hence my question.
Elgin does have quite a bit of crime, especially the downtown area and near west side. I had friends who lived on Mosely St who said it was "safe" over there. Yeah, right.

I think what would attract people to DeKalb County is the COL, housing/rent prices, quieter, less crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs