Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
FYI, Sycamore and Manhattan are not Chicago suburbs. You may want to post this in the general IL section.
Yes they are, both in the official sense, and in Manhattan's case, the practical sense what with it having Metra access. Even if they're not suburbs in the same way that Elmhurst and Skokie are, people familiar with the suburban areas of Will and western Kane Counties will be better able to answer the OP's questions than most of the regulars in the general Illinois forum, so on balance this is the proper forum for the OP's question.

Anyway, back to cljovan's post. . . Of the three, I'd pick Sycamore without a moment's pause. Manhattan has too much of that "brand new shiny suburb" sterile feel to it. DeKalb is a little too grimy and has too many marauding college drunks. Sycamore has a nice old-school small-town feel and perfectly adequate schools that would be considered "very good" in most other metropolitan areas but are basically "average" in the highly competitive suburban school market around here. I'd be quite comfortable putting my kids through Sycamore schools.

As others have mentioned, neither is especially close to Chicago by suburban standards. If it seems strange that people are making the assumption that Chicago access is a factor, it's because the two places you've chosen are nowhere near each other, which means the only regional employment node they have in common is Chicago proper. We'd hate for you to misapprehend just how long it takes to get from one sector of the metropolitan area to another during standard rush-hour times, so it might help to know where, if anywhere, you and/or your spouse (if there is one) will be working.

Last edited by Drover; 03-24-2010 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,721 times
Sycamore Illinois is a smaller community but we are full of life! For more information on local businesses, community events and tourist activities in Sycamore visit [url]www.DiscoverSycamore.com[/url]

Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 PM

469 posts, read 1,327,944 times
If you have children- choose Sycamore over dekalb. The schools are better and the community is safer in general. Sycamore is just a tad bit more upscale and cleaner looking than Dekalb. I don't know where you will be communting but daily communte to Chicago or the 'burbs via I88 will be hellacious. (former dekalb, IL resident)

Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 AM

21 posts, read 72,393 times
Thanks for the info.! The interest is low taxes, and I want land and some space, with proximity to the city. My husband would only be working in Chicago for six week periods, occasionally. The suburbs close to the city are filled with ideal, quality of life interests, etc. but I can't imagine paying the tax bills, and I assume they will only go up. I want to start low. Thanks again!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 46,716 times
Hello,
I agree with many of the posters that Sycamore is a nice little town. My wife and I are finishing Grad school at NIU and live just on the edge of the town. I am not a big fan of Dekalb except for certain areas, but Sycamore is largely separated from that. All of the larger businesses (wal-mart, menards, target, etc. etc.) are located between the two cities on highway 23. That part isn't very pretty, but convenient.

The downtown and nearby area of Sycamore is definitely the brightest spot in the area. If you don't mind some corn fields but appreciate a safer area and lower cost of living, it is a good place to consider.

For what it's worth, we take the train into the city from Elburn. The entire trip usually takes a little under 2 hours. Pretty long, yes, but god help me if we try to drive in. Chicago highways are my idea of hell on earth, especially during road construction season.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 PM

21 posts, read 72,393 times
Thanks all!!
My husband and I have already looked at homes in Hawthorne Woods, Hyde Park, Naperville, etc. trying to get a feel of different areas. We stayed in Old Town for weeks, and loved it. We have yet to go out to Sycamore, my husband is hoping to check out the area soon. I will keep you posted.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,633 times
Hello cljovan,
I happened upon this site and found your messages.I'm very familiar with Southern DeKalb county having grown up there. Indian Creek Schools have
very good reputation, the COL is very good and there are many nice homes to
buy or to rent updated homes under $900/month in safe peaceful, quiet areas. I quess it depends upon what you want for your family life.
. It's about 40 minutes to the Aurora area, 25 minutes north to DeKalb and
Sycamore area. Having corn fields near you is a lot better then slums or unsafe areas. Good luck in you quest.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:04 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
The problem with cornfields around you is you never know what will be built when the area is finally developed. Zoning information can help but is not set in stone. That field might be zoned industrial. Or a 24-hour big box store could go up there. Even while it is still a cornfield you will sometimes get dirt blowing and noisy farm machinery.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,184 times
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Several years ago I moved from DeKalb to Manhattan. One of the primary reasons for moving was the quality of education. At the time I felt the educational system in Manhattan was far superior and in my opinion it still is. There are many more activities available for kids than there were when we moved here but if it is not available in Manhattan it most likely is available within a ten to fifteen mile radius. While commuting to Chicago is not a daily affair I find it to be more pleasant from Manhattan, if and commute can be considered pleasant.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,929 times
I've been reading the post comparing one town to another and have picked up some very interesting facts. I too I'm considering making the move to the Midwest Illinois area. I lived in Elgin many years ago (which is not one of my choices) and will be leaving California for a life back in the Midwest. It has gotten to be extremely expensive to live here in Cali and I'm heading home. My choices are Sycamore, DeKalb, Bolingbrook or Naperville. Can anyone give me any feedback on which is better in reference to my choice lifestyle; which is:quite town, low taxes, low crime, city ordinance that are actually followed and up held, no big chain stores in the middle of the town, moderate night life, nice parks, and well maintained homes. Looking for that that old town feel that is slightly updated; probably asking for too much. Mmmmmm Utopia sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs