Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,491 times

Advertisements

I noticed this place was ranked the least safe city in the US in 2000. The assault rate per 100k people was 8328.1. Jesus. What was going on back then and why has it improved so drastically? It's hardly above average now. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Perhaps increased police presence. Or just regression to the mean. When you start at the bottom, there's no way to go but up. "Up, up , up Can only go up from here." - Shania Twain, "Up"

Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM

82 posts, read 255,308 times
I believe it was the increase of housing. Majority of the youth around that time made the community value go down. Majority of them are older now or have moved. Thank you Jesus. Outside of that Markham wasn't never really that "bad," it was moreso the youth that made it "scary."

Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarboy View Post
I believe it was the increase of housing. Majority of the youth around that time made the community value go down. Majority of them are older now or have moved. Thank you Jesus. Outside of that Markham wasn't never really that "bad," it was moreso the youth that made it "scary."
How can you say it wasn't bad when it was rated the most dangerous place in the US with a population over 5000? I guess you're right, that's not bad, it's absolutely horrendous.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:29 AM

82 posts, read 255,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
How can you say it wasn't bad when it was rated the most dangerous place in the US with a population over 5000? I guess you're right, that's not bad, it's absolutely horrendous.
Might want to read what I stated. It wasn't that "bad," surely it was bad. You might want to drive through Markham to actually see it. It looks like the African American version of "Posen." It's a small town with nothing there but a couple small plazas and shopping centers. It was never a Ford Heights or even Robbins (I consider to be TERRIBLE suburbs). It's bad when you compare it to other predominately African American suburbs though i.e. Country Club Hills, Hazel Crest etc.

Markham has had some serious problems but you have to look at the enviroment. I believe that had something to do with it...Parents are working (never at home), section 8, and disgruntled teenagers with nothing better to do. Sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Surely, it was. The neighborhood has more shopping centers and things for the tweens and teens do to now. I'm shocked it hasn't gotten worse because, of that but it seems to be doing the reverse?

Even, though I still consider Markham bad it's just never seem that "BAD," to me. I wouldn't be scared to leave my car outside. There are some communities I'd be terrified to stop in. I dont think Markham was one of them...

Last edited by whitecollarboy; 04-06-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 01:07 PM

15 posts, read 23,938 times
I dont understand the really really bad rap....I mean really?! compared to Harvey, riverdale, ect. I would take my chances in Markham, it has its nice areas and it has its rough areas..overall I dont think its that bad. I have never lived their though....

Old 04-19-2010, 03:09 PM

37 posts, read 142,971 times
Default Markham

Comon, if the only positive thing you can say about it is "It's not as bad as Harvey" it's not a great place. Are there worse places to live...of course but anyone who is able to live elsewhere is not going to live in Markham.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,028 times
I have shopped in Markham, and I didn't feel horrible about it. It was just different...it wasn't like the shopping in in my community and I realize that. I also realize there is always an opportunity for advancement.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:59 PM

37 posts, read 142,971 times
Default Markham

It's improving but still if someone is able to live elsewhere they will. It's not going to be on the top places to live list anytime soon.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:35 PM

320 posts, read 717,271 times
No matter how you put it, Markham was pretty F'd up 10 year ago. I'm from CC Hills and went Hillcrest. 1/3rd of its student body resides in Markham. Most of them lived north of 159th and West of the 294 (Around the Courthouse). Most of the kids weren't bad at all; they weren't any different from CC Hills or Hazel Crest Kids. Even though, most of those kids went to Prairie Hills JHS, which had a very real bad rep.

On the other hand, anything North of 159th off Kedzie (Bel Air and Country Air) and the area East of the 294 nestled b/w Harvey and East Hazel Crest was considered bad as H#!!. I had a classmate/teammate who was killed in Bel Air. Anway, that's were most of the problems were. Plus, by Markham being so close to Harvey, Posen and Robbins, crime probably spills over from those areas as well. Although Posen is not quite as bad.

Anyhow, Markham along with University Park are by far the most improved suburbs. I wonder what they did to lower the crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs