Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:35 PM

320 posts, read 717,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
If you are married, why are you trying to get phone numbers from women?

I don't care if you actually physically cheat or not, that is poor behavior, regardless of your race.
IT WAS A JOOOOKE!!!! (hence the "lol") I was making a comparison. Of course, I don't cheat. What are you God or Something!?!

Quote:
Your culture seems more to mirror the black admins ($50-70K people) I work with than the black executives ($200K+) I work with. The black executives I know, would never say baby's momma, "ax" or mother f'er. They also tend to be part of nuclear families and are less prone to cheat as they have more to lose.

I was taught by my mother to speak and use proper grammar. The occasional typos I make here are mostly a function of using a blackberry with limited typing capabilities.
Secondly, you don't know the slightest thing about my culture. I'm friends with people who make over 200K+ and believe me they curse like a sailor and they use some form of slang. However,when they're at work they speak more professional. Duuhh!!! The execs you know probably don't talk that way around you b/c it appears that you have a stick up you @*****$ most of the time!! What I'm trying to say is that they might not feel that comfortable around you to let loose. (By the way, did my cursing offend you? lmao).

And for your information, I was taught by my entire family how to speak proper english, but that don't mean that we have to speak like Winston Churchhill 24/7. I have very good grammar and proud of it. I am extremely well spoken, articulate and know how to get my point across very effectively. However, when it's time to relax (something you need to do) so does my grammar. Being part of a nuclear family is very important. Nevertheless, community, culture and ecomonic background plays a bigger role in how a person speaks. Therefore, even a person from the ghetto, raised by one parent who makes 200k+ is still going make sure that their colleges don't here them cursing or saying 'ax' (unless they're a rapper or comedian).

Lastly, I don't mind having a disagreement with you. I don't even mind arguing with you. However, when you start to attact my character, that's when I draw the line. Unlike you, I am very comfortable in my skin. I pride myself on the fact that I can have a conversation with anyone no matter how well-spoken they may or may not be. I urge you to do some research on the history of the English language or take a linguistics course. Then you will see that our beloved language constantly changes over time. In fact, the brand of English that we all strive to speak in this country isn't the normal English spoken by your average American (or English speakers period). Therefore, I suggest you learn how to embrace your southerm Indiana roots a little more and get off of my F'ing case.

The nerve of this guy. LMFAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 03:55 PM

82 posts, read 255,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Here's the deal. Jamaicans speak Patois (Broken English) when they talk amongst theirselves and English when talk to everyone else.
Amazing example. I know Jamacians who speak stone cold proper English to the point they sound "Caucasian," on the other side of the line. But, amongst themselves they are rowdy and speak Patois. No different than Latinos with Spanish.

It's all code switching. However, many look down on Hispanics and say speak "American," or "English," as if Hispanics native language is Spanish. Especially, considering its just another European language. LOL. Racism kills me softly.

Last edited by whitecollarboy; 04-21-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Secondly, you don't know the slightest thing about my culture. I'm friends with people who make over 200K+ and believe me they curse like a sailor and they use some form of slang. However,when they're at work they speak more professional. Duuhh!!! The execs you know probably don't talk that way around you b/c it appears that you have a stick up you @*****$ most of the time!! What I'm trying to say is that they might not feel that comfortable around you to let loose. (By the way, did my cursing offend you? lmao).
It's true. Exes can be a riot and complete **** ups like the rest of us. I was on Obama's Campaign and I was hanging around some of the most elitest movers and shakers in the nation. They aren't all aholes as many would assume. They do have professional covers at work that are stern, traditional, consistent, and icy. However, they had their moments where you could see the true person and after hours some of them really let their hair down a bit too much. But it shoes you we are all human.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:09 PM

I approve of Suburban.

He's what this forum needs for Illinois.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
I disagree slightly. Most blacks know when to speak proper and when it's uncalled for to do so. Most blacks do what we call "code switching". IN other words, they speak one way with one person and another way with someone else. The majority of the code switching is done at work. I do it. When I'm talking to a client I speak "proper english"; when I'm talking to my co-workers, who are majority black, I speak more "relaxed english"; and when I'm mad, I might get a little ghetto. lol

Anyway, what you are saying has more to do with young blacks under 21. That probably has more to do with the lack of young whites in most black neighborhoods. Majority of Blacks students rarely see white students. Once they go to college or get into the work place, that normaly changes.

Also, there is a slight difference b/w talking proper and sounding white. The two don't always go hand in hand. I knew people who talked very proper, but you can still tell that they are black. Secondly, all whites don't speak proper english. There are some blacks who grow up with whites and they don't necessarily speak proper english, but don't have a black dialect either. For example, Cornell West and Bryant Gumble both speak very proper; but Gumble sounds more white, while West sounds more black.
I agree with you...my comment was more based on my experience though. I know all about code-switching lol...I personally don't do it and growing up as a Black kid in a predominantly white area, I not only "sounded white" but "spoke proper" so I got a hard time for that sometimes lol.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:47 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
It is kind of like the smart cheerleader who acts ditzy around boys. Why do it? I just don't get why someone would want to appear less intelligent than they are. I can understand relaxing around family and friends but I would think you would want to create as good of an impression as possible when you meet new people, not just in a business way.

I do agree with other posters that I do need to relax.

I do embrace my southern Indiana roots when it comes to farming, just not the redneck stuff. I continue to advise my dad on land, livestock, grain and equipment purchases, just via phone. We are actually talking about in a few years of partnering up with my older brother to buy some more farmland. I view the farm as my legacy, whether I go back to farming or not. The farm will outlive me and my children and be there for generations to come.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
It is kind of like the smart cheerleader who acts ditzy around boys. Why do it? I just don't get why someone would want to appear less intelligent than they are. I can understand relaxing around family and friends but I would think you would want to create as good of an impression as possible when you meet new people, not just in a business way.

I do agree with other posters that I do need to relax.

I do embrace my southern Indiana roots when it comes to farming, just not the redneck stuff. I continue to advise my dad on land, livestock, grain and equipment purchases, just via phone. We are actually talking about in a few years of partnering up with my older brother to buy some more farmland. I view the farm as my legacy, whether I go back to farming or not. The farm will outlive me and my children and be there for generations to come.
You might want to make sure you pass this down to your children because, if they are uptight like this they'll be rude and short with people. They might even forget their history in the conduct of becoming "professional."

I don't think it means you are dumbing yourself down. It's called relaxing. Who you are in your personal life isn't who you will be at work. My boss works very well but after hours that woman curses like a sailor and says whatever comes to mind with very little tact. Needless to say she is rolling in dough and she's educated. BTW, she's white.

It's just the name of the game.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I agree with you...my comment was more based on my experience though. I know all about code-switching lol...I personally don't do it and growing up as a Black kid in a predominantly white area, I not only "sounded white" but "spoke proper" so I got a hard time for that sometimes lol.
I know the feeling.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:25 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,735 times
About white people not speaking proper English-what about the mayor and the mayor daddy?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:40 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
I don't approve of that either but you do not have a bunch of south side blue collar whites robbing and shooting each other like you do with ghetto black and to a lesser extent hispanics.

Jesse and Meeks may have some interesting ways of speaking (like Daley) but for the most part they speak proper grammar, though it is sometimes very colloquial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs